Home

Return to Monkey Island Physical Box Release

MichaelSon

Today is the last day to buy/pre-order it from Limited Run Games.

I would like to get the Switch physical and the PC big box, but it's 174 dollars to buy and ship to Finland. Just insane...

Oh how I wish they would have instead used some European located company for European customers instead base everything globally to LRG which is known to be super expensive.

Any idea how long it will take for them to produce and ship the games? This is not supposed to be a normal LRG release so maybe they could be faster than to wait for over one year before it's shipped?

On 1/15/2023 at 5:53 AM, Jake said:

I hope it has an excerpt from Guybrush’s memoirs on the back of the box!

I think tvtropes has it right: Guybrush's trailer quote has got to be our excerpt! I know you mean on the box itself (which I doubt would happen), but as someone who's only owned the Curse and Escape versions of these quoted boxes, I just like to know they sort of exist in some form.

"Three small trials and you're a pirate like us." Fair enough. If only I could stomach the foul brew these scurvy seadogs swilled, the rest would be easy. How could I have known I'd meet a powerful and beautiful woman with a jealous suitor too stupid to realize he'd been dead for years? And how can I crawl through this great stone monkey to find a man who walks three inches above the ground and sets fire to his beard every morning?

I thought I'd killed the Ghost Pirate LeChuck for good. Wrong. How many times can that bloated old fool die? Other pirates tell me there's no escape. Legend has it that the treasure of Big Whoop holds the key to great power... I must find it before LeChuck finds me.

I've sailed the seas from Trinidad to Tortuga and I've never seen anything like it! The engagement ring I gave Elaine has a terrible pirate curse on it. LeChuck is behind it, I'm sure. I should have known that nothing good could come out of that evil zombie's treasures. And if that's not bad enough, the clairvoyant I met in the mangrove swamp told me that if I am to break the curse and save Elaine, I will have to die!

Spitting the sand of Monkey Island from my mouth, I began to wonder if the life of a mighty pirate was all it was cracked up to be. If only I'd chosen a different path, LeChuck might still be dead, and the mystery of the Ultimate Insult might have remained an enigma. If I'd never picked up a sword, the grog-swilling pirates of the Tri-Island Area might be unthreatened by the twin forces of gentrification and demonic heckfire. If only...

I've sailed the seven seas in search of archaic charms and curiosities; I've raided the sunken smelters of Popgowatu for the finest of tools; and I've worked by candlelight in the yawing quarters of my ship to forge together the raw materials into the finest of blades, all to finally put a bloody end to my undead rival and stealer of spouse. It is now that this sword is more than just a sword; it is a covenant! I'm not exactly sure what that word means, but it sounds right. The seas will sleep soundly tonight, for LeChuck's time is up!

Pirating is in my blood, like adrenaline or stale grog. I've been in enough scraps to fill a dozen scrapbooks. I've got stories about ships, fights, love, treasure, betrayal, and root beer. But how about one that has all of the above? My name is Guybrush Threepwood, and this is a story about the time I finally found the Secret of Monkey Island.

Edited by BaronGrackle
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...

Still nothing on the Anthology Upgrade for me. I enquired about a month ago and got the standard "according to the website, it's still in development so it's not shipping yet!"  Apparently the standalone editions (at least the PS5 version) has been shipping for a while now, but Limited Run groups all of your items into one order and withholds sending any of your order until everything is ready. Which makes sense I guess, but it's still been over a year now!

Mine just arrived and everything came in perfect condition.

• The Golden Key and Lure pin are both very well made.

• The scrapbook has some additional jokes not present in the game that made me laugh out loud. A standout for me was next to Wally's picture, Guybrush begins to write, and misspell, "cartographer," and crosses it out to simply write "the map guy." Also, really cool that the section about "Return to Monkey Island" has an additional seal on it for people who want to avoid spoilers until after they finish the game.

• Everything else; the box itself, poster, soundtrack, game CDs, Floppy Disc (which I might use as a coaster when replaying the games), manual, and especially the letter from Ron and Dave are all well made and authentic. Reminds me of the good old days of buying PC games.

• Only gripe is no excerpt from Guybrush.
Edited by demone
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jake said:

It sucks that they didn’t do a memoir for the back of the box. Literally all the others did it :(

Yeah, I was actually half-expecting that Guybrush's monologue from the first trailer ("Pirating is in my blood, like adrenaline, or stale Grog.") would be on the back of the box. Would've been perfect as a memoir. 

• Like 1

One other, cool little detail I found in the scrapbook, that has some very interesting lore implications, is that on the pages with LeChuck's voodoo doll, next to the torn leg is a note saying, "Use imagination for real damage." That implies that Guybrush did not really do that much damage to LeChuck at the end of that game and was instead his imagination creating the carnage of LeChuck's leg and arm falling off. Makes sense given the context of the games we now know. Especially with them not really being brothers, then it makes sense that Guybrush's voodoo doll would not be 100% effective.

Taking it a step further to connect with Curse, LeChuck had probably already cast a spell on Guybrush right at the start of the tunnels and Guybrush was seeing what he perhaps wanted to see in the fight, along with disturbing imagery, such as his deceased parents. Boybrush and his friend Chucky add in their own spins and what we have as the ending of Monkey Island 2 is essentially a mishmash of an embellished tale with Guybrush's imagination and unreliable memory and Boybrush and Chucky's own retelling and twists.

Edited by demone

so either the tracking information is not updating, or my package hasn't shipped yet. hoping for the former, the one other time I ordered from LRG my order was lost in shipping. thankfully they were able to find another copy to send me.

edit: crisis averted. it has arrived.

Edited by dognut
  • Like 1

Can someone give me the answer: What's the deal with the floppy disc which is contained in the RtMI box? On the Limited Run Games website it is said that this floppy disc will be an "floppy disc styled USB stick". But I'm not able to see the USB connectors or how to open this thing up. For me this simply looks like a fake floppy disc. Can somebody help me out on this thing?

11 hours ago, amyristom said:

Can someone give me the answer: What's the deal with the floppy disc which is contained in the RtMI box? On the Limited Run Games website it is said that this floppy disc will be an "floppy disc styled USB stick". But I'm not able to see the USB connectors or how to open this thing up. For me this simply looks like a fake floppy disc. Can somebody help me out on this thing?

I think it's indeed just meant to be a decorative, fake floppy disc. I think the USB stick portion of the description on the site was simply inaccurate.

There was a video on the LucasArts Fans Facebook group showing that a section next to the sliding metal cover flips out to reveal a thin USB stick. It looks pretty clever - too clever for its own good if nobody can figure it out!

Hopefully you can find the video yourself, but if not let me know and I'll track down the link...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Huz said:

There was a video on the LucasArts Fans Facebook group showing that a section next to the sliding metal cover flips out to reveal a thin USB stick. It looks pretty clever - too clever for its own good if nobody can figure it out!

Hopefully you can find the video yourself, but if not let me know and I'll track down the link...

Ah, I see! It flips over to reveal it. I tried to slide it out initially, but you basically just push it and the section flips to reveal the USB. Thanks for the info, very clever indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

The actual contents of the USB is a bit funky! They seem to have used an almost 60GB USB stick, and filled a chunk of it up with including the game three times, twice in zip files and once in a folder!
remi usb contents.PNG

This seems... an odd thing to do.

I noticed also that the Windows DVD (although not the USB) has this random extraneous shortcut file sitting in the folderextraneous shortcut.PNG

IDK, I guess it seems a bit careless? Especially combined with the kerfuffle around the Loom USB!

• Haha 2

@micpp I noticed also that the Windows DVD (although not the USB) has this random extraneous shortcut file sitting in the folder

Oh great... Just what we need. ANOTHER secret to Monkey Island.

Maybe this is a way to add another "Insert Disk 22" joke. 😛

• Haha 1

I see the duplicate zip files aren't the same size as each other, so what's different? 🤔 And does one of the folders contain exactly the same files as one of the zips, or are they all unique?

Perhaps one of them is the director's cut.

Edited by Huz