Home

DREAMM 2.0 beta

Aaron Giles

ahoy Aaron

i been trying to figure how to add Grim fandango in dreamm but i keep failing, its driving me nuts! i tried every possible way and every new beta version...

the thing is that it is not recognizing any of the files, i tried using different img types and no dice, i tried dragging every kind of file and folders from install folder and no dice, i tried scanning for games when cd is inserted and no dice, i tried scanning for games when image is mounted and no dice!

i even tried rev A version, and you guessed it...nothing worked.

18 minutes ago, kaysayva said:

i been trying to figure how to add Grim fandango in dreamm but i keep failing, its driving me nuts!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

If you're using original CDs, then yes, it's been hard to arrange the files from multi-CD games so that they are recognized. However, with b17, it should work if you follow my updated instructions:

1. Make two folders, "disk1" and "disk2"

2. Copy all the files from CD1 to the "disk1" folder

3. Copy all the files from CD2 to the "disk2" folder

4. Select both "disk1" and "disk2" folders and drag them together at the same time onto DREAMM

Note: this only works with the most recent beta. Let me know if you can get it to work.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Aaron Giles said:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

If you're using original CDs, then yes, it's been hard to arrange the files from multi-CD games so that they are recognized. However, with b17, it should work if you follow my updated instructions:

1. Make two folders, "disk1" and "disk2"

2. Copy all the files from CD1 to the "disk1" folder

3. Copy all the files from CD2 to the "disk2" folder

4. Select both "disk1" and "disk2" folders and drag them together at the same time onto DREAMM

Note: this only works with the most recent beta. Let me know if you can get it to work.

here goes nothin

that did the trick. thank you

i cant blame myself tho for not knowing this, i tried my best 😉

1 hour ago, kaysayva said:

i cant blame myself tho for not knowing this, i tried my best

There's nobody to blame but me. After 2.0 is released I am making it a priority to have a better solution for installing directly from multiple discs! Just glad you were able to get it to work this time.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 2:53 PM, Aaron Giles said:

Give me some examples where it's particularly bad and I'll see if there's something I can do to improve it.

Thanks. I literally see tearing every time a game scrolls. From Maniac Mansion to Day of the Tentacle. I don’t know if it’s because the MacBook Pros run at such a stupidly high resolution? If there’s anything I can on my end, let me know. It might not be something you can fix?

5 hours ago, ThunderPeel2001 said:

I literally see tearing every time a game scrolls. From Maniac Mansion to Day of the Tentacle. I don’t know if it’s because the MacBook Pros run at such a stupidly high resolution?

Hmmm, if you're seeing it all over the place, that means it's more likely the tearing is not at the game level but at the time when the video is copied to your screen.

Couple of questions:

1. What era MacBook do you have? Is it Intel or ARM based?

2. Have you run any of the past few betas?

Reason I ask is I had another Mac user with an Intel-based Mac reporting something similar. I added the SDL flag to sync updates to VSYNC a few betas ago, and he said it seemed to help his case.

I'm running a 2021 MacBook Pro (M1 Pro). I'm seeing tearing in other games, too (eg. Return to Obra Dinn). It might be to do with ProMotion (Apple's adaptive refresh rate) because when I limited it to 60Hz, Return to Obra Dinn was much smoother.

Edit: Sadly it didn't seem to help as much in DREAMM when I turned off ProMotion as it did in Return to Obra Dinn.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Just officially released 2.0 and created a new topic for future discussion.

For those who helped beta test this release, thank you! Here are the details of the final batch of changes.

Specifically make note of the first item, which affects where games store their data. Detailed instructions are in the readme.txt for how to migrate your data if you want to hang onto it.

Changes in 2.0
==============
* Game data is now kept separate for each variant (instead of being shared)
   - This was necessary due to incompatiblities between variants
   - Previously it was stored in <userpath>/gamedata/<gamename>/...
   - Now it is stored in <userpath>/gamefiles/<gamename>/<variant>/...
* Added "More Options" menu item to show old game data folder if present
* Added instructions in readme.txt for how to migrate data if needed
* Fixed case where DREAMM tried & failed to install the version of Maniac that shipped with DOTT
* Add extra guidance if it looks like you might be installing from multiple CDs
* Acknowledge F12 as an alternative to Alt+U (it's always worked, just not mentioned)
* Fix window title after running a game

• Thanks 2

• Jake locked this topic