Home

Mojo Book Club | On Stranger Tides | Chapter 17

Gins

Let's read On Stranger Tides together, new chapter every week!

* New chapters unlock Thursdays

* Treat later chapters as spoilers, in case you already know the book

* Reading is not mandatory to participate in the discussion, as long as it's on topic ;)

Everone who joins late can just catch up to the current chapter.

Prologue and first chapter are unlocked Thursday, Feb. 2.

Original Post:

Mojole recently featured On Stranger Tides, a book that notably influenced Monkey Island.

Many here may have read it, some may never have but were interested. I'm in the camp of those who have read it a long time ago and forgot a lot of it again.

I thought it might be fun to have some sort of a book club where a few of us come together and enjoy the book chapter by chapter, as if it were an episodic series.

For example: every week a new chapter is "unlocked", we can discuss, speculate, draw parallels to MI and try to treat the rest of the book as spoilers within the thread.

Basically a new regular activity besides the great Mojole with as little commitment as reading one chapter of a good book per week :)

Would anybody be interested at all, or in a similar concept with another book or game?

Edited by Gins
info update
  • Like 3

Already 6 people interested? 🤩 That should be enough to get started, and late comers can of course always catch up.

So I think we can set a starting date, so everyone who doesn't have the book yet and is interested has a chance to get it.

Here's my suggestion:

* New chapters unlock Thursdays

* Treat later chapters as spoilers, in case you already know the book

* Reading is not mandatory to participate in the discussion, as long as it's on topic ;)

Everone who joins late can just catch up to the current chapter.

I'll try to keep track of the current state in the top post.

Prologue and first chapter are unlocked next Thursday, Feb. 2.

All in favor say aye! 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

• Gins changed the title to Mojo Book Club | On Stranger Tides
18 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

Shouldn't all in favour say arr?

But yeah, this is a great idea, I've wanted to read this for, I dunno, twenty years, since I first read Ron mentioning it as an inspiration for Monkey Island. Maybe after this I'll finally get past the first few chapters of Treasure Island as well!

You arrr right 😁

Treasarrr Island could be the next if this one turns out to be fun :p

Regarding On Stranger Tides, while chapter 1 unlocks on Thursday, the outside of the book is already fair game! 😜

This is my copy:

20230129_073154.jpg

With a recommendation by Mojole regular Orson Scott Card, most famous for having written the insults for Secret, and some books.

20230129_073208.jpg

And on the back, because of when I bought it, it was marketed as related to the Pirates of the Caribbean movie of the same name.

We see, even the cover is already chockfull of Monkey Island references!

Edited by Gins
mobile keyboards are the worst
  • Like 1

Here's my copy, published in 2006 but with no sign of being a Pirates of the Caribbean tie-in. I was going to say it was released too early, but then I realised the truth and hate it.

For the front cover, Blackbeard looks like he's seen some shit:

B64FBBB9-1178-4C78-97B1-DC6CD5F473EC.jpeg

The backdrop is a curiously low-resolution treasure map, but the skull-and-crossbones and the parrot are razor sharp.

The back cover has a longer version of the quote from friend of Mojole and writer of insults Orson Scott Card, which conveniently also saves the publisher from writing their own synopsis:

4965E413-5E48-4692-A5F5-537A76BB9756.jpeg
A lesson to wannabe back-of-box quotemeisters everywhere.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TimeGentleman said:

I guess if he's going to keep getting brought up, I should mention that the other thing Orson Scott Card is known for is being a massive homophobe.

What's this thing about him being a friend of Mojole? I hope this site isn't associating with him...

Just an answer (twice) -- Mojo claims no association with him or Enrique Tarrio.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimeGentleman said:

I guess if he's going to keep getting brought up, I should mention that the other thing Orson Scott Card is known for is being a massive homophobe.

What's this thing about him being a friend of Mojole? I hope this site isn't associating with him...

He was a solution in a Mojole because he wrote the insults for Secret and is thus two 5 and a 4 letter word related to Monkey Island, that's all.

Didn't know the thing about him being a homophobe, but I guess if that's so I'll tread lightly on referencing him from now on 😕

• Like 1

For those of you that like listening to audiobooks, I cannot recommend enough Bronson Pinchot's reading. It's absolutely fantastic, with wonderful voice work for all the characters. The prologue alone is immediately gripping.

My copy of the book, BTW:

IMG_20230131_221539.jpg

Edited by Romão
  • Like 2

On 1/31/2023 at 2:13 PM, Romão said:

For those of you that like listening to audiobooks, I cannot recommend enough Bronson Pinchot's reading. It's absolutely fantastic, with wonderful voice work for all the characters. The prologue alone is immediately gripping.

My copy of the book, BTW:

IMG_20230131_221539.jpg

I think this is the original cover? The only actually good one of the bunch. 

the actual first edition has that cover and also has good typography. It’s weird watching the look of this book rot away over the decades by way of this thread. Example: (not my copy) 

287739BD-60A2-4249-BDA3-2CAF96050C4D.jpeg

On 1/31/2023 at 5:13 PM, Romão said:

Hey, that's the one I'm listening to! Happy that my library had it available as a digital loan. Anybody who has access to a library, I can't recommend enough that you look into whether they support Overdrive/Libby or Hoopla, because there's so much content available to library card holders.

audiobook.png

For a few moments I was worried that his narration was too dry, but you're right that it does really come to life once the characters begin interacting. I just got through the prologue, so I suppose I need to get caught up.

I'm certain at one point I bought an iOS app that served as a standalone ebook/audiobook for On Stranger Tides. It was neat, but as is the way with old iOS apps, I can't find a single reference to it ever having existed.

Edited by LuigiHann
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I think this is the original cover? The only actually good one of the bunch. 

the actual first edition has that cover and also has good typography. It’s weird watching the look of this book rot away over the decades by way of this thread. Example: (not my copy) 

287739BD-60A2-4249-BDA3-2CAF96050C4D.jpeg

The copy I own is from the Subterranean Press re-release from 2008. I have bought a first edition from 1988, but I haven't received it. Let's see then how they compare