Home

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders Collector's Edition!

danielalbu

David Fox's classic game Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders is getting the Limited Run Games treatment!
Including:
• Big Box
• Visa Security System Handbook
• National Inquisitor Newspaper
• Novelty Nose Glasses
• Poster
And more!
https://limitedrungames.com/products/zak-mckracken-and-the-alien-mindbenders-pc

Just 2 weeks ago, in my conversation with him, we talked about the possibility of such a collector's edition coming out!

(He knew nothing of it then and he first heard of it now when I tweeted about it)

null

image.png

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Lagomorph01 said:

Is anybody, except for scalpers, seriously buying these?

I am. I feel a little bit foolish now since everyone seems to hate them. 

I collect LucasArts big box releases for adventure games so the idea of them getting re-released in 2023 is pretty exciting to me. 

• Like 1

I just can't wrap my head around the added value of owning a 2023 re-release by a second party. To me, the real value comes from the original boxed copies, they're relics from a bygone era. The value comes from the nostalgia of buying them when they were released, or tracking down a copy and going through the extra hoops to acquire it. Reprinting them and selling them more cheaply, even if they're licensed, to me feels "fake".

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I just can't wrap my head around the added value of owning a 2023 re-release by a second party. To me, the real value comes from the original boxed copies, they're relics from a bygone era. The value comes from the nostalgia of buying them when they were released, or tracking down a copy and going through the extra hoops to acquire it. Reprinting them and selling them more cheaply, even if they're licensed, to me feels "fake".

You can't wrap your head around it but I can, and that's what matters to me in the end. I'm not searching for maximum authenticity, I have other hobbies which draw much more money away from me (music), so if there is the possibility to snag these boxes at a price which won't cost me like a new guitar, sure as heck I'm gonna do it! 😄 I just want to have those games on display on my shelf, I'm personally not interested in real value and other gate-keeping forms.

I do understand why an original boxed copy is better, of course I do. But there are some instances in which you just can't have them, and you have to make compromises. And I like compromises, just like other people do!

1 hour ago, Sopabuena said:

I am. I feel a little bit foolish now since everyone seems to hate them. 

I collect LucasArts big box releases for adventure games so the idea of them getting re-released in 2023 is pretty exciting to me. 

And this is why you shouldn't feel foolish about it: other people seem to hate them. But what about you, do you like them? If you do, that's the only thing that matters, frankly.

Edited by AndywinXp
  • Like 3

Agreed with Andy. Presumably people are buying them, because LR keep doing new ones! And even if it's all scalpers, well then people must be buying them off the scalpers, because otherwise the scalpers would stop buying them!

The real question here is why anyone would like compromises ;)

Edited by TimeGentleman
  • Haha 2

Cool, but once again they don't mention which releases are going to be included, so have fun pre-ordering some unknown content. Maybe they're going to detail it a bit more in some online interview somewhere, but never of their own website of course, duh… I guess it's going to be the English FM-TOWNS version, and at least the V2 DOS version, as on GOG.

Providing the original FM-TOWNS executable, and also its Japanese release with its unique stuff would be cool, and same thing if the music could be ripped as lossless FLAC instead of lossy MP3s (as do GOG and Steam). Having as many releases as possible would be cool for game preservation, too.

I like what they're doing, but for that price (and their usual lack of quality control) they could maybe be a bit more verbose about what they're going to do, maybe reach out to some hardcore fans first for advice, instead of selling it first, and then figuring out what they're going to put in it… sigh…

4 hours ago, Lagomorph01 said:

I just can't wrap my head around the added value of owning a 2023 re-release by a second party. To me, the real value comes from the original boxed copies, they're relics from a bygone era. The value comes from the nostalgia of buying them when they were released, or tracking down a copy and going through the extra hoops to acquire it. Reprinting them and selling them more cheaply, even if they're licensed, to me feels "fake".

Okay. 

23 minutes ago, dwa said:

Cool, but once again they don't mention which releases are going to be included, so have fun pre-ordering some unknown content. Maybe they're going to detail it a bit more in some online interview somewhere, but never of their own website of course, duh… I guess it's going to be the English FM-TOWNS version, and at least the V2 DOS version, as on GOG.

Yes I agree (but you already knew that 😛), this is the one complaint that I usually have about these releases; I might not take authenticity into account, but I am pretty serious about preservation of obscure or plain unavailable versions.

I can understand the feelings that some fans have here about the lack of authenticity on some of these releases existing and what they represent vs getting the actual originals. As someone who has an original release of basically every LA game EXCEPT Zak, I am stoked to have this release. The absurd prices online have caused me to hold off on that purchase. (Especially that joker who is selling a copy for 2,500, hah).

I did assume this release was coming down the pipe and am thankful that it has finally been announced.

I also don't think Zak was released in a slide-out double-box but only a top-flap open box, but I could be incorrect. I do like that this release will have Zak box conform to the rest of these releases.

I do rate this licensed release higher than a very well done reproduction copy of the box, as this at least wears it's repro label on its shoulder side and may not creep into forgery-resale, even on accident.

Maybe someday I will get my hands on a legitimate box but this is a nice way to let my shelf no longer have that void. :)

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

Some people just want to look at a shelf near their desk and see a bunch of things they like to think about. If the thing you like is “I hunted this down on eBay and second hand shops for four years, and it’s from the original run!!!” amazing, good for you. Many people love to buy first edition books for this reason. They do have something special to them. But some people just want any copy of the thing. Some people like all the little extra drop-ins. Some people like that this new release is going to be consistently designed to make a matching shelf. Not everyone is the same.

Saying “I just don’t get why someone else would like this” is disingenuous at best or self-damning at worst because all it really means is “I don’t like this.” If you don’t like that someone else likes it, get over yourself. If you really truly genuinely can’t see the world through someone else’s eyes enough to imagine what fun they might see in a thing you don’t like as small as a re-release of a retro game, it’s maybe time for some serious self reflection. 

• Like 1
  • Chef's Kiss 1

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, that was not my intention. I just wanted to elaborate on why I'm not very enthousiastic about these releases. It wasn't meant to personally attack anyone.

I've pre-ordered Return to Monkey Island and Sam and Max: This Time it's Virtual from Limited Run myself, because they're the only retail releases there are, as well as the Grim Fandango one, because I like the resin statue.

For the record, Jake, I love your work on the Sam and Max Hit the Road case file.

• Like 1

I'm aware nostalgia is very profitable, but I still see these releases as a celebratrion of these games, that didn't get as much love as other classic franchisies after their release. I know they are cult classics but they didn't get merch/ost/remasters until very recently. Being able to get an official replica of the orginal games, with some extra goodies on it seems unreal.

Regarding Zak, nerds are on it again a there seems to be some discussion around the box's background pattern:

Also these LRG releases could use their megathread, right? It will be nice to revisit it in a couple of years

On 3/7/2023 at 10:42 AM, Lagomorph01 said:

I think your point-of-view is perfectly valid, but I think I understand why: the value is just owning a nice, boxed version of the game, regardless of who made it.

That said, it did raise a question in my mind: Why is a LRG edition (yay) any better than a fan selling self-made big box copies (boo)? The more I think about it, the more I genuinely don't know why one is better than the other.

• The original creators get $0 from both. There are no residual checks or licence fees: Everyone did work-for-hire for LucasFilm and Disney now owns it all.
  • Laserschwert doesn't benefit either: His remastered posters aren't licensed from him by either parties because he doesn't own the copyright to them. 
  • One is made by a third-party corporation for profit...
  • One is made by a fan for cost (and love)...

Can someone (maybe Jan) explain why we denigrate one while defend the other? I'm genuinely curious. Thanks.