Home

LEGO and Monkey Island - A Life Story

Romão

On 4/1/2023 at 6:25 PM, Gins said:

Amazing! Did you skip MI1 Ghost Pirate LeChuck because he's so difficult you couldn't do him justice, or because you did him justice and want to overblow or blown minds?

I'm thinking of the transparency in the MI1 ghosts 😬

The problem with the Lechuck sprite in The Secret of Monkey island is not only the transparent parts (which are much scarcer and available in much less variety of elements), but specially the blue outline that surrounds the character:

w7Ct4K9.png

You can get away with that in 2D to depict a see-through character, but in 3D, I would need to do most of the character in trans-clear color, and without that blue outline, it just does not look the same and would defeat the whole purpose of the endeavor.

I did look into it, but frankly I wasn't able to make it look remotely good. MI2 LeChuck was much more appropriate for this sort of model. Besides, I far prefer the look of the character in the second game, so it was a no brainer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Romão said:

The problem with the Lechuck sprite in The Secret of Monkey island is not only the transparent parts (which are much scarcer and available in much less variety of elements), but specially the blue outline that surrounds the character:

Wow seeing him like this, you'd need some real voodoo to make it happen. Maybe kill some bricks to get ghost bricks? LEGO bricks are immortal though so it probably wouldn't work 😉

Also now that you posted this sprite I noticed for the first time, that LeChuck must be wearing some kind of x-ray coat, or a very strange cut of pants. You can see where his hip bone connects to the... chest bone... 🎶 from behind 👀

Edited by Gins
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Gins said:

LeChuck must be wearing some kind of x-ray coat, or a very strange cut of pants. You can see where his hip bone connects to the... chest bone... 🎶 from behind 

Haha, but I think that's not his hip bone, but part of his coat design. 

But now it looks like his buttocks and and I can't unsee it!

What could work for building a MI1 Lechuck, is making it gigantic. 

This way the small outline may work with regular blocks, but you'd have to spend a lot of money on Legos, I guess.

28 minutes ago, neoncolor8 said:

I suspected one of the issues with the outline is more, that it outlines the silhouette, which doesn't usually work well with real life 3d models.

30 minutes ago, neoncolor8 said:

Now that YOU mention that, it might just be two large buttons and a wrinkle. Let's exhange headcanons 🤝

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 11:07 PM, neoncolor8 said:

But now it looks like his buttocks and and I can't unsee it!

This way the small outline may work with regular blocks, but you'd have to spend a lot of money on Legos, I guess.

It’s his hip bone and his coat does show his skeleton underneath. (You can see it more clearly in paintings done by Purcell around that time.) It doesn’t make any sense but it’s an awesome design. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jake said:

It’s his hip bone and his coat does show his skeleton underneath. (You can see it more clearly in paintings done by Purcell around that time.) It doesn’t make any sense but it’s an awesome design. 

I figure his skeleton is ethereally glowing, which shines through multiple layers of clothing depending on the angle. Though the pixel art does lend credence to the "x-ray coat" theory the more that I look at it. Magic cursed coat.

It would be the second-most interesting Monkey Island coat to recreate in a halloween costume

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LuigiHann said:

It would be the second-most interesting Monkey Island coat to recreate in a halloween costume

Third interesting, if Stan were to die (as if another reason was needed to want him dead).

I was btw hoping for Stan or Elaine @Romão:D

Edited by Gins
  • Haha 1

This is a bit of a bonus round, but it seemed like a fun enough prospect. Here is Purple Tentacle from DOTT.

This is what was used for reference:

iXox7lk.png

The LEGO model:

S0xL6mL.jpg

YpXDb3w.jpg

3glAFZ9.jpg

Fdqlhnf.jpg

I wanted to use a slightly darker green in place of more lime-like green you see in the model, but regrettably, there simply isn't enough part variety in that color to make the building of the model feasible, so that's a compromise. I might redo it in the future

20 hours ago, Gins said:

I was btw hoping for Stan or Elaine @Romão:D

Stan is definitely in the pipeline, just need to decide whether to do the model in his SOMI guise of MI2. The sprites seem to be pretty identical, apart from the color patterns 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Chef's Kiss 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 3:16 AM, Romão said:

w7Ct4K9.png

You can get away with that in 2D to depict a see-through character, but in 3D, I would need to do most of the character in trans-clear color, and without that blue outline, it just does not look the same and would defeat the whole purpose of the endeavor.

I did look into it, but frankly I wasn't able to make it look remotely good. MI2 LeChuck was much more appropriate for this sort of model. Besides, I far prefer the look of the character in the second game, so it was a no brainer

If you want a somewhat canonical alternative, MI2 has a literal costume of MI1 LeChuck that could fit the bill:

bc6Et7B.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1