Home

A question bout multiplayer

nequadah

Hi..i'm new around here don't know if this question has been asked before or its been said somewhere..but...i was wondering..is jk ii gonnabe zone as well? i mean..will there be dedicated servers where we can connect on locally? like counterstrike, tribes and all..

or is it zone again..coz i really prefer dedicated servers and such...well just my preference that is..any of you guys know?

another question is how many players are there gonnabe in each game?

I actually like the zone (apart from the homosexual login) because u could chat and c a list of names so that's what was cool abotu the zone and if u have noticed everygame that lucasarts have made with multiplayer has been on the zone so we're likely to have a choice 8) If there was a a dedicated server and there was chat and a listo f all names then i would most probably go on the deicated but if there's no chat or a lsit of names and game rooms that u can launch at same time i'll stick with zone? Let's c what ideas raven has for the servers?

Zone would be better if u could get more than 4 in a room. But it might be bad because when i'm in UT i my comp (1.2 ghz, 256ram, geforce 2) always crashes when there is more than 8. So i'm hoping that we get a damn good choice, none of the crappy dedicated servers were there's nothing but empty games and no chat!

because u could chat and c a list of names

That's actually quiet common and is definitely not unique to the Internet Gaming Zone. There are tons of places that offer the few things that the Zone does but they offer alot more as well. Just to name a few, you have MPlayer(also known as MLagger), Heat(also know as stinkin place that uses RIPX and forces you to disable network) and Gamespy Arcade, which totally owns the Zone, as far as the program itself goes. There are alot of others, but being that they're not hard to find, if you look, I won't list them all.

if u have noticed everygame that lucasarts have made with multiplayer has been on the zone so we're likely to have a choice

Yes, most if not all of the past LEC games have been playable over the Zone, but let's not forget that this is a Raven/LEC game and that we can't assume that it will be available on the Zone. It will have dedicated servers and the majority of the hardcore gamers wouldn't play it on the Zone anyways.

Zone would be better if u could get more than 4 in a room.

You can, with alot of the games on the Zone.

But it might be bad because when i'm in UT i my comp (1.2 ghz, 256ram, geforce 2) always crashes when there is more than 8.

That has nothing to do with the game at all. If you're crashing with 8+ people on a system that nice, you have some severe issues with your computer. On my old ISP I used to play UT with 12+ people on a 56k, Duron 800, 256MB RAM and a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP and it was just fine.

You may have the choice to play JK2 on the Zone, but why would you want to? There are hundreds of places that you can chat, and the scripts are far better. Alot of people, like myself will be using mIRC to chat on ETG - irc.enterthegame.com - #JediKnight. I would rather use a good program to chat and just use Gamespy or the internal server browser(if it has one) to find/play games. Most of the servers I'll be playing on will probably be private though.

I seriously prefer dedicated servers though...to promote local community growth and all....most people outside of america lag so bad at the zone..even the chat lags!

and as for the in game chat/browser and all that would be really rad, though i seen it in many games like tribes 2 for example.

another thing i wonder about is how many people are there gonnabe in each game? coz...like if there's gonna be like only 6 people...i don't think they might even wanna host a dedicated server for that! but that again i don't exactly know how dedicated servers work heh.

anyway thx for the answers guys.

That reminds me, I sincerely hope that JK2 doesn't just use the "built in" browser from Quake3. The used in UT was much better, IMHO.

The one in Q3 for example, was a huge list, the UT one had tabs you could set and you could add favorites. You could easily sort stuff by ping, name, version, etc and not only that, but you could join games while the browser was refreshing (the Q3 one you either have to wait until it's completely finished, or stop it mid-refresh).

Of course better to have the Q3 browser than no browser, but I'd probably end up using a seperate program (like Qtracker) if all we get is the Q3 one. I'd highly recommend the JK2 team to check out Unreal Tournament's server browser, which is the best I've seen yet.

The in-game chat thing I think is somewhat overrated, and any game matching service can provide that. The Unreal engine games all had a built in IRC client (which I never used) so that's one possible solution I guess.

But I just want to be able to customize my searches, use filters, favorites, etc and sort things easily, so I can find the games I want in the shortest possible time.

Btw, I haven't played Elite Force, anybody know what their browser was like?

With dedicated servers in place, and non-exclusivity (other free options besides the zone) the multiplayer community should be in good hands. ; )

Kurgan

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

I hope it dosnt use Either Quakes or UTs browser, i hope for some service like the zone, considerin how hard it is to form or even join a clan in those quakes or Uts enviroments, even Tribes 2 enviroment wasn't good enough, even worse now since T2 closed thier ingame forums. I personaly like a chat room i can host a game, wait for the amount of people i want to come in or lock the room and wait for clan people,

course havin a dedicated servers also has its perks but i don't wanta give up the abovem especialy my IM (ZM in zone), i hope they do a mix of both, and gamespy arcade dosnt count, its IM sux (slow barely functions half the time) and u cant host a game though it eg q3 UT, as it only serches for servers started in those programs, and gives no option to start ure own.

I'd hold a compromise allow dedicated server support like in Q3 ut etc, but also allow people to host thier own short servers like u can currently do in Mots Jk etc...... those shouln't pop on da list of dedicated servers u can join from inside the game or short servers launched from inside the game, that way they can stay seprated, of course the servers launched from a progy like da zone or somthin should be joinable by IP still, but shouldn't show on a Master server list.

Archived