Home

Jedi Knight I shields

nequadah

i don't know if anyone else though about this...

but ya know those shield packs in jedi knight i?

they didn't protect u from punches or lightsaber slashes? coz they only absorb energy and all? but anything physical can get through? like a punch or if u fell down from a tall building ya life only goes down but ya shields are still up...or even a lightsaber slash screws a lot with ya life and your shields coz it penetrates both?

if thats the case...should'nt the last weapon be a good ol' gun from earth or something? like an shotgun ehehe..since bullets do physical damage? and would be able to penetrate the shields

anyone ever thought of that?

or am i getting my facts wrong? -.-

<hr>

shields defected hits off the rail det, and rail seeker, personaly if ure wearin a shield all Projectiles aimed atem like a shotgun or somthin should bounce right off, that is what particle shielding is for, defelect small projectiles, only real big bullets, eg less say somnthin like the mortor of a tank shouldn't bounce off, that should ignorge shields all together with a direct hit. I wish games with shields would start doin that, a really good example of this is in Tribes 2, u can kill a shielded shirke with a chaingun :[<hr>

<marquee> :D:cool::D:cool::D:cool::D:cool: </marquee><hr>

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Red_XIIII ]

• 3 weeks later...

those cool, long bore rifles that tuskens and some bounty hunters carry look pretty cool. And pretty low tech... i bet they use projectiles.

One of those would be cool as the sniper weapon, (a ray sniper weapon wouln't work anyway, as people would see where the shot came from.) they would fit the whole low tech/high tech feel of the original films.

Having the sniper weapon ignore shields would be a nice touch.

Oh, and a ion weapon would surely wipe out shields?

Originally posted by nequadah:

<STRONG>whats ya tribes 2 handle? eh..i paly tribes 2 too. does stormhammer play tribes too?</STRONG>

Sorry, but my Net connection isn't the best on the planet (at the moment). If you've come across a Stormhammer playing Tribes 2...it wasn't me.

Just for future reference, I always spell it with a capital S and capital H...StormHammer. So unless someone else does the same thing...it's likely to be me. ;)

-----

I'm also dubious about the shotgun idea, but the long-barreled rifle used by the Tuskens would be nice to have. I like the bit in TPM where they are taking pot-shots at the Pod Race competitors. Nice. :D

[ November 13, 2001: Message edited by: StormHammer ]

Good Question,

I think the difference, in the SW universe, is the equivalent of 'inertial dampers' vs. true 'ray shields'.

ID's are treated like water where, as a physical acceleration (impact or energy discharge concussion), is pressed against the a fairly deep shield effect the latter gives gradually but very rapidly, to impart a 'drag' effect that softens the blow.

Like the difference between a dry and a wet spongeof a wet sponge where the collapsing-to-incompressible field effect is deeper than normal shields but not as strong.

It may also help assist the /internal/ artificial gravity in ships whereby you can walk around on a 'level deck plate' when the ship is canted and or pulling all sorts of G in a no-well vacuum.

True Shields OTOH, dissipate HUGE amounts of energy (gigajoules in the Star Destroyer category) through direct cancellation: shield energy to weapon discharge matched.

There simply isn't room for doing much else.

To some extent (at least in ships), this is regenerative-recapacitance gained back through something like an alternator recharge on a car battery but the total effect is less like absorption or deflection and more like (visual evidence in movies) the bolt collapsing in upon itself, front to back, as if crushed by two field poles.

What I'm assuming is that there is a speed:mass 'gate' setting (automatically controlled) which actively twists space just enough that the wave energies or plasma gas particles in a beam or a SMALL projectile are disrupted, either via their own chemistry or by some kind of 'ducting' effect inherent to passage between one form of existence and another within the convergence zone of the shield energies themselves.

As long as the bullet is small, the shields treat it simply as the mass-equivalent of an equal amount of thermal energy and it is collapsed-cancelled like clapping your hands together around a water balloon.

If the mass is large (hitting the dirt after a long fall) or the energy simply /overwhelming/ (heavy blaster cannon) then the effect is like clapping your hands on a firehose going full blast: you catch some but the rest flows over your hands and still hits you dead on as a function of either the inertial dissipation or thermal disruption effect being overwhelmed within/across the fairly narrow field boundaries around the protected object or person.

In some cases this may actually lead to a concussive reversal effect where the shields collapse back or invert: transferring either equivalent acceleration or heat into the shielded body.

The perfect example of this are the Destroyers in the Royal Hangar on Naboo. When Anakin blasts them using his fighters guns they don't melt and in one case at least the shields don't even fully lose their 'glow sphere' qualities.

Instead the droids are shoved back as if by a massive fist and _a noticeable time after impact_ explode as a function of a direct or refractance like concussion effect. Something like smacking a bell with a hammer while something/someone is inside.

Clearly, for game effects if nothing else, unless you can make a variable speed low-mass bullet which passes through the shields slow enough to be treated like air or water, or alternately packs enough explosive wallop to break them down, it's going to be blocked.

Rather than make a bullet try and match our-universe physics (ruining the sensual as well as causal satisfaction of the blaster superiority in SW warfare), I would FAR rather increase the speed (time of flight) of the blaster bolts themselves to be more like some fraction of C than say the 'really fast archery' which it occasionally seems.

You could then determine penetration and damage effects by the amount of shield-reversal impact or 'overflow' heat penetration that occured with the boresize or power capacity of each weapon type/class.

Same bolts, (long, easy to spot, reasonably easy to block or see return-to-sender), but the destructive power is VASTLY different based on how much dsicharge energy each bolt packs.

Kurt Plummer

Who likes Dune where shields make you 'block fast, attack slow' on a purer basis of inertial trapping and virtually all pistol fights are ended by blade, up close and very personal.

Archived