Home

Who played the original Dark Forces?

Rendar

Welcome to the forums, X-Vector, Andrew, DR_Rendar... Enjoy your stay. :D

Yes, of course I played Dark Forces. I think the question is... Who hasn't played it yet?

Originally posted by X-Vector:

I lost my PC gaming virginity to Dark Forces.

LOL :D

The first game I remember playing on the PC was Sopwith...and that fit into about 4k. :D But that was in the heady days of the 8086...ahhh, the memories... 5.25 inch floppy disks, 1Mb RAM...it was a state-of-the-art system.

Yeah, yeah...Sopwith2, Alley Cat, Tetris. *lol*

Anyway, I played Dark Forces and I especially enjoyed the imaginitive level design plus the great music, MIDI back then, newly composed and arranged bits of John Williams great art. ;-) As well as in X-Wing and TIE-fighter. Praise to Michael Land, Clint Bajakian and Peter McConnell. LEC music rules. ;-)))

Originally posted by StormHammer:

<STRONG>Welcome to the forums, X-Vector, Andrew, DR_Rendar... Enjoy your stay. :D

</STRONG>

Erm, thanks, but as you can see I've already 'been' here for 7 months now (I just haven't posted much, because there are other games to take the limelight for now).

I still appreciate the sentiment though. ;)

LEC music rules.

Yes, it does.

Clint Bajakian's Outlaws score was awesome, even though much of it was, *cough*, 'inspired' by Ennio Morricone's work.

hehe I played DF on my p133 48mb memory, 1.2 gig hd(w/o a 3d card) the same pc i played JK on for a couple of years.. i remember playing it normally, then repeatedly charging through there with 'LA Postal' on blowing everyone up in sight with concusion rifles, dark trooper guns, etc.

after purchasing a new dell 933mhz 256mb 40 gig hd 64mb TNT2 and playing JK on it(for old times sake), the difference was huge..

when i was messsing around with JK on my p133 a few months ago, i found that JK was unplayable. the difference was huge..

Now(933mhz)

JSHOT039.jpg

Then(133mhz)

hdk_ez01.jpg

btw moderators, feel free to resize pics to fit in box.. i can't figure out how :(

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: DeathBoLT ]

Guest JediKnight_114[b]

I played Dark Forces for the first time only recently. I was amazed by what a great game it is especially since it's so old. I even got used to the crappy graphics, but one thing I hated was the fact that you cant use the mouse to look up and down, and there was no crosshair to aim with.

Other than that, though, I thought it was a very good, very challenging game that was very challenging. (Did I already say that?)

I haven't worked up the nerve to play it again yet, but I will soon probably.

OH, and welcome to the boards all newcomers. *starts throwing gift baskets in all directions.* Catch 'em while you can.

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: JediKnight_114 ]

Heh...Lion Heart, why not just say 'My first FPS'?

Just for the record, my first FPS was good 'ol Wolfenstein 3D - when it first came out. It appeared on a PC at my work place - and there was a policy of no games, so being in charge of the systems, (and being a complete dork) I dutifully deleted it. But it kept coming back, so I decided to see what all the fuss was about...I believe I spent days trying to find all those secret areas... :D

Just a tip for anyone wanting to try Wolf3D...the best controller is a trackball. I used to do a 180 in a flash by spinning that ball, to gun down the baddies coming up behind me. ;)

Archived