Home

Rocket Packs

Bartolo_JCS

As a device for SP, this would be an excellent idea. Also would be great for a mod or mutator (Jet pack arena!).

I would love to see this. I didn't get to play much manowar since it was harder than heck to get enough people for a team game (almost always ended up one on one) back when I was trying to play it. But it was tons of fun to just play around with the grapple and jetpack and see all the hijinks that would ensue with them (especially two players grappling onto each other and jumping around, etc).

As far as a class in MP that had the jetpack, that could introduce some balancing issues. I am guessing Tribes/2 might have addressed this type of thing already. I can see it working like as a pickup that anyone could use, but I dunno about a single class (especially a powerful one like the BH) getting exclusive use of the JP. But I'm not the one who'd have to work out the balancing... perhaps it could be done well, and in that case, I'd love to see something like it.

Similarly, I don't think there is any reason why a Jedi would NOT ever need to use one. It might make perfect sense. I mean in theory a Jedi could make great use of a blaster as well, we just don't see it in the movies, because they're all these honorable guys following traditional rules of their own chivalric code. Games should have more leeway and creativity I think. Explore the road less travelled...

But, I always thought that a Jedi could basically make himself "fly" around with his levitating powers. I mean why not... you can use it to lift star fighters, droids, big hunks of metal and other people, why not your own body? That I'd also like to see (as an option... some people might not like it, as some might not like the jetpack idea either).

Kurgan

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

I don't know about rocket packs, but I like the idea of levitation.

If it was implemented in the game, though, I suppose it would have to rely on how much Force power you have available. I would imagine something like levitation draining your Force pool fairly quickly - and you may be hanging over a chasm or something when it runs out. Ouch.

I would also think it would be along the lines of Force Grip in JK...where it needs concentration, and if you are hit by blaster fire, that power switches off. So you would have to be careful when and where you used it, which would help with balancing it's usefulness.

Maybe it could be used as a sort of enhancement to Force Jump. Like you could jump super high and then "hang" in the air for a short time, and have full air control.

I don't see how a powerful Jedi couldn't have the outright power of flight (like Superman), I'm just questionining whether or not it could be done in such a way as to be both cool and balanced for MP. I guess if Jedi could fly (with limited mana?) and everybody else could use rocket packs (with limited fuel?), and the host could choose to disable both together if they didn't want people flying around, then it would work out.

Would certainly be interesting... a way to travel long distances in big levels, spy on people, and snipe from the air, etc. Falling and dying would be a nice hazard to counter balance the benefits of the power/device.

Force Far Sight (in MotS) had sort of a levitation ability (not sure if it was just a bug or what, but I liked it) where you could activate the power while in mid-air and it would pause you for a split second (resetting your falling distance), and thus allowing you to soften a long fall that might otherwise have seriously hurt/killed you (useless against bottomless pits, of course). And this only used mana at the point of activation.

I just wonder if in MP you will get to choose your powers, or if everyone will just have the same powers (that might go up in strength with the level, ie: on level 8 everyone has super force, but the same powers as level 1). Hmmm...

Kurgan

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

I've just read the PCG UK article dedicated to JK2 and it was quite interesting. I dont have it here at home tho. I think the force powers will be chosen for you but you "earn" them as such, the further you go the more you learn until you get to lightning.

They also said that is why he has been shunned because after MOTS, "his fellow jedi were not pleased at him mastering dark side powers"

or along those lines. Tomorrow I will get the article and tell it in greater detail for those who haven't read it... If you have then perhaps you coud tell us more now?

wardz

Well, Jedis DO levitate time to time, but not long distances. Obi-Wan's jump in the end of Episode 1(before he slices Maul) looked more like he would have levitated and Vader does the same thing once in ESB(he "jumps" down the stairs, "flying right at" Luke like the original script says). Both of these guys were however fully trained, while Kyle still seems to be searching his "place" and walks the middle way between light and dark in JK2. Besides, I don't like the idea of flying Jedis THAT much... ;) Oh, and the quickest way to get a little air ride in the game might be shooting down that possible Boba Fett-wannabe and use his Rocket Pack.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: Lord_FinnSon ]

Well we know for a fact Jedi can fly.

One word: MAW

He had no legs, but he didn't have wings or a rocket pack.

Use the Force MAW! :)

I don't see a problem with Jedi flying. After all, the Force is all around us, why can't we use it to guide us?

Think of it this way, using the Force Yoda can lift a X-Wing out of a swamp and place it down safely. He should easily be able to lift himself up and guide himself wherever he wants. He is an object nonetheless.

[ October 30, 2001: Message edited by: SlowbieOne ]

This should clear up the debate...this is what it says in the manual that came with JK...

Jedi Knight Manual:

Maw

Only a profound anger and the dark side of the Force have enabled a creature like Maw to live. He was cut in half by Rahn, and what was left is a heavily-muscled levitating incarnation of rage. Etc...

So there you go. Maw officially levitates. Nuff said. ;)

I just hope your legs don't move when you levitate cos that would look rubbish. I think jedi levitation should be degenerative so as your mana decreases your altitude does as well so you slowly start to float down until it runs out and you fall. Also, you should be able to do vertical spins with your lightsaber when its enabled. Then you could barrel roll at enemies and slice them to bits!

The fact is that maw was a shabby cration because he has invisible legs. :-) pitch Black in JK is see through and if u change the colour in his legs he walks and it basiclly looks like he's on fly mode. :( the fact is GL and lec think of cool characters and don't really have a reason for them so if i were them i wold make something up like he levitates because of the force strengh he has and the thing at the bottom of him keeps him up to good rates so i think they'd say some crap like there's force boosts at the bottom or they probably will never answer so there for we can make out own opinion!

:D:);):cool::p

Originally posted by StormHammer:

<STRONG>So there you go. Maw officially levitates. Nuff said. ;)</STRONG>

Repulsorlifts "officially levitate", too, and they do so so efficiently that Luke's landspeeder continues to hover even when shut off. We're at an impasse. ;)

Aside from potential balance factors, there's the inherent cheesiness factor of people flying around at will, whether via force powers or rocket packs. Personally I always envisioned the rockets on the Mandalorian armor to be short-burst affairs (indeed, Boba Fett uses his exactly so in ROTJ) that would run out of juice rapidly and then need time to "recharge". Implemented thusly, they'd be a slightly less-capable "force jump" for non Force-sensitives --not a ticket to play Rocketeer or Superman. :)

Hmmm...maybe.

However, according to the dictionary definition...

Collins Paperback Dictionary

Levitate

vb. to rise or cause to rise and float in the air, usually by using supernatural powers.

So, it says usually...but not exclusively. However, I'd opt for the usual meaning. (But then I would, wouldn't I? :D)

*sits back as debate rages on*

Thanks for clearing that up Stormhammer, I don't know why I didn't check the manual.

I think they would have said "flies" instead of "levitate" if he had a machine.

Another example along the lines of what Stormie said: When you hear the word levitate, what do you think of?

You think of a "living being" lifting himself off the ground using special powers.

You don't say, "The plane is levitating."

You say, "The plane is flying."

Good enough for me.

Anyway, who cares, he's dead. :)

Jedi Knight Manual:

Maw

Only a profound anger and the dark side of the Force have enabled a creature like Maw to live. He was cut in half by Rahn, and what was left is a heavily-muscled levitating incarnation of rage. Etc...

when you hit maw a few times in singleplayer he then levitates/flies to the other side and you chase him. He's not levitating while you fight him because if he was and you pushed him off he would fall no? Similar to darth maul's speeder. Let's say you have force push or a force push cog he would definately fall.... So we're both right. He does fly with force but he also has a repulsor lift to walk. If he flew/levitated all day he would get tired of using the force.

:p

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Bart-=[JCS]=- ]

Well, maybe he just adjusted his force flow to compensate for the distance. ; )

Anyway, if he was using a repulsor, it would just allow him to float, he could still use the force to manuver and adjust height, etc.

Though you'll notice he "falls to the ground" when defeated. If he had a repulsor it would still keep him floating upright after he was beaten. Though you could just say it was "damaged" when you hit him with the final blow or something.

But I got the impression that he WAS using the force to make himself hover and fly. Watch the cutscenes and play the level again. I don't think it's out of place at all.

I don't find the idea of him using it all day that tough. I mean he could just be really powerful. But you balance that with the fact that he has to concentrate on doing this ability (which may not require that much mana to begin with) while fighting and using other powers, so he is not as powerful as he COULD be if he had legs and could use that extra force for something else. Just a thought...

Btw, anybody see that program on "Levitation" they had awhile back on either Discovery or History channel? It had the mystical stuff (Mirabelli, flying saints, Indian Rope Trick, psychic fliers, Maharishi U and John Haglin) and scientific stuff (bullet trains, vomit comet, levitation machines, etc). Fun show.

Right now if you want to levitate, it's far easier to levitate a tree frog or a multi-ton train than to levitate a human. You could levitate a human using the levitation machine (sorry I forget the name, it's the one they drop tiny objects into and watch them float in a sphere of empty space), but it would cost more than hitching a ride on the next flight into space.

Kurgan

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

The thing that gets me is this: if self-levitation is so all-fired easy for a Jedi, why don't we see it used? One would think it would be tactically advanageous to whirr about beyond a lightsaber's reach (one would think Maw would have done that to begin with rather than let Rahn cut him down). Or perhaps you would halt your fall as you plummet into the Death Star's power core, if you could. **clears throat pointedly** :)

And if it isn't an easy thing, just why is Maw one of Jerec's cronies instead of the one calling the shots? Eh? :D

Hmmf. That's like asking "why didn't Palpy just squarsh everyone's head?"

Because that wouldn't make a very interesting or long storyline!

But in a game setting, that would be perfectly acceptable...

Kurgan

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

well, just because maul's speeder fell off the canyon, and lukes speeder was always a certian height, doesnt mean that Maw's repulsor (go with me here a second) has to be a certian (short) distance from solid ground to keep him up... every small ship (im talking, Millennium Falcon, X-Wing, and other craft which land) has repulsors, and they fly straight, no matter what the terrain does below them... when they are flying low, the manuver to avoid obsticles, but when flying high, they fly straight as an arrow, with repulsors... so it is possible that maw could have something of the same aparatus underneth him...

Archived