Home

Jedi Knight Vs. Jedi Knight II Multiplayer Capability

slave01

Its a good thing you put that tm after "blah blah blah", otherwise i would have been forced to sue you. I respect everyone's opinion, but when people start saying that cheap games are better than JK i get angry :). ANYWAYS, i just like jk for the simple reason that its been the best game Ive ever played, and ive played across games across a wide spectrum. Jedi Knight is just so original compared to all you Counter Strike games, and Command and Conquer wannabes. But i guess if you didnt play JK everyday for hours on end, then you dont have the understanding to see it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"it's the best game ever"- this means best game that was ever made.

Just because JK is original that doesn't mean, "it's the best game ever". Just because CS isn't original that doesn't mean JK is better. Last time I looked CS had 16,000 people playing it.

Jedi Knight WAS a good game, i say again- WAS, WAS, WAS, WAS, WAS a good game.

There are better games out there that should be called "the best game ever".

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: StephenG ]

Being hard to learn is good for the people who play it still.. however 90% of people who play games don't want a game that takes weeks before you can even get a single frag.

they want to dive straight in and be competative, you can do that in CS, or UT, you get in, you might not be very good, but you arent totally wiped out, and people like this. where as I like having some challange to learninig a game, the vazt majority like something they can get stuck into straight away.

And Best Game Ever, for a person is the game that out of all the games they have ever played has brought them the most enjoyment it is highly opinionative in nature, and the nearest you can have to a general concensus on the best game ever (ie more the one persons choice) is to take a look at % of the market cornered at time of release/height of play.. Cause I would guess there are more people now playing CS, then were actually playing PC games when jk was released.. seeing thee number of poot game players keeps increasing, the Bestest game of all time based on number of players will just go to the latest game, where a bunch of AOL llamass all started playing when they got a new poot.

Guest Kurgan

16,000 people playing Counter Strike (the half life mod)? That makes it the 'best game ever'? Something tells me there's more people playing games like Starcraft, Diablo/2, and the MMORPG's...

Battle.net alone is huge, and no FPS's on there...

Kurgan

Originally posted by Kurgan:

<STRONG>16,000 people playing Counter Strike (the half life mod)? That makes it the 'best game ever'? Something tells me there's more people playing games like Starcraft, Diablo/2, and the MMORPG's...

Battle.net alone is huge, and no FPS's on there...

Kurgan</STRONG>

it didn't say CS was the "best game ever". read it again.

Guest Kurgan

No, that is true. You didn't really say any games were the best games ever.

I guess I should have phrased it "even if a game has 16,000 people playing it, that doesn't make it the best game ever."

I believe it was PCGamer who called Half Life "the best game ever." Jedi Knight I believe also had that title at one time. IMHO, it's too subjective a statement to begin with.

I know you didn't say CS was the best game ever, but you implied that it was better than JK because more people were playing it right now (if that wasn't your intention, I apologize for my presumption) which is why I countered that there are other games that have more people playing them. ; )

Kurgan

LOL, you guys have to look at the conditions of why counter strike is so popular. Did you ever stop and think, that maybe one of the major reasons that it is so popular is because it is FREE. I have been playing CS for a while, and i have never paid a dime to play it. (dont get me wrong, i like not paying for software). Go to www.zone.com, you will still see people playing JK. And YES, ill-dedicated JK players, JK is one of the best games (IS THE BEST GAME TO DATE), because of its originality and uniqueness. Lets see, games like counter strike...(Rainbow 6, Rogue spear, doom, doom2, doom3 quake1, quake2, quake3, and those were just the once and currently popular games. How about games like Command and Conquer...(star craft, all the civil war gmaes, wwII games, moder war games, i mean come on, there are TONS of these types). Now lets see how many games are like JK ( ummm, lets see, hmmmmm, ...NONE!) If you dont look for originality in a game, then you should cancel your member ship here, and start playing solitaire. I mean sh$t, its basic human logic. Would you want to drive a car everyone has, or a car nobody has. Shop for games like you shop for your women (if you have taste)...Look for originality!

Basically, i just judge a game by overall gameplay, originality, taste, pure 100% quality, and a bad ass story line (star wars!). And i guess the reason why i think JK is the best game out to date, is because, while other games have there perks, none of them come close to any aspect of Jedi Knight. You cant compare a game that came out last month to JK that came out 4 years ago. However, if you look at the game that came out one month ago, and visualize what it would have been 4 years ago, then you have the grounds to compare it to JK. And belive me, none of them would stack up. Thats common sense.

yeah... The only thing I dont like about JK nowadays is the "hacking", but hey CS's got aimbot too :(. I even kinda started enjoying playing with the lag, u get so used to it and it becomes part of the fun game :).

JK's just fun, because of the skill u need to learn and the fast and frentic gameplay. :) FF is just friggin fast... And nf sabs took me almost a year to get "elite" :(... I've been playing Q3 for 3 months and I already won a tourney and beat some "sponsored" player. :D

hmm..it could also mean I'm some sort of Q3 talent.. anybody wanna sponsor me? ;) ....

I'm gonna rename my name to somethign macho.. RAMBO or w/e

Originally posted by Jedi Master*:

<STRONG> JK is one of the best games (IS THE BEST GAME TO DATE), because of its originality and uniqueness. Lets see, games like counter strike...(Rainbow 6, Rogue spear, doom, doom2, doom3 quake1, quake2, quake3, and those were just the once and currently popular games. How about games like Command and Conquer...(star craft, all the civil war gmaes, wwII games, moder war games, i mean come on, there are TONS of these types). Now lets see how many games are like JK ( ummm, lets see, hmmmmm, ...NONE!) If you dont look for originality in a game, then you should cancel your member ship here, and start playing solitaire. I mean sh$t, its basic human logic. Would you want to drive a car everyone has, or a car nobody has. Shop for games like you shop for your women (if you have taste)...Look for originality!</STRONG>

i say again. just because a game is unoriginal that doesn't mean it's crap! CS has been going for a few years and still going strong with over 16000+ players. JK multiplayer got boing after a year for me and about (not quite sure) 3/4 of jedi knight owners.

i dont want to argue with you, i'm just stateing facts.

"How about games like Command and Conquer...(star craft, all the civil war gmaes, wwII games, moder war games, i mean come on, there are TONS of these types"

actually thats very wrong

inside the RTS gendre their are games with large numbers of unique features that make them stand out, TA is my particular choice, because its fast, and uses a different skill base to other RTS. instead of concentraiting on the clicking skills of selecting units to attack, its far more dependant on resource gathering, etc, the logistics.

Most games have unique features, some change gameplay dramatically, and make them play differently from other games inside the gendre, but essentially jks gameplay is still move about, get powerups and kill other people, It just does it in a way thats different.

LOL! 3/4 of the jkers are bored with the game? Show me the demographics that prove that, and i will believe you. And if they got bored then they either didnt become good, they got frustrated and said screw it, or they just dont know a good game when they see one. And what do you mean originality doesnt play a big role in the game? If you arent gonna play an original game, than why waste the money to buy a game, thats like 25 other ones that you have. But hey, its people like you that keep the gaming industry alive, so by all means, spend on.

killerbee, i am not talking about the particulars of the game, i am talking about overall uniquness....red alert looks just like star craft (i know ive seen them), except instead of being on war-torn earth, you are on some alien planet surface fighting alien things. I will agree that games like red alert take alot of pratice and strategy and skill to play them effectively, but I think it sucks that there are so many games that are of the same base. To me the particulars dont matter, its the general base of the game. The point i am trying to make is that no other game has a base like Jedi Knight's multi-player force saber game. And that single fact alone (not to mention that its totally bad a$$, and unmatched), makes it better. Ofcourse thats minus the soundtrack, storyline, levels, force abilities, blazingly fastpaced action, etc, that JK offers...(in a way that no other game does) .

stepen i played JK for a hell of a lot more than one year, and believe me, JK was still going strong after one year, and there is no way in hell that 3/4 of the people who owned JK stoped playing it after a year. Thats like saying oragnes are blue. Its so blatantly bullsh%t, it makes me recoil in astonishment. And you are dead wrong about JK players and the zone, everytime i have checked it out (alot), there are always over 100 people playing. Right now it is a thursday afternoon, half the country is still at work, and there are 183 people playing...you do the math.

Yes, and Counter Strike is FREE, and I would be still be owning people at JK right now if i wasnt behind a firewall (i play cs instead because it doesnt matter, another reason why so many people play - easy access, no restrictions). Half life was a cool game, cs is a cool game, but cs isnt sh@t compared to JK, its a MOD, its not even a real game in itself. Although it is fun to play. I would be very interested to know what the count for CS will be when JKII comes out. I bet you it will plumit. You can count on me and the majority of the gamers i play with, in dropping the all popular cs, for JK's sequel. Do you think cs is a better game than JK, just because it is popular right now? if cs came out when JK did, cs wouldnt have a 16,000 player count, although all the people who played JK, and got frustrated with it because you cant kill someone until you acquire real skill, probably would have went to cs.

When you consider the original Jedi Knight multiplayer capability and then look at Jedi Knight II potential multiplayer capability, you need to consider what JKII can do better and what JK did wrong.

First of all, the infrastructure of JK had nothing but simple IPX and TCP/IP (not to mention modem-to-modem I believe) support along with integration with The Zone.

What's wrong with this?

Well, complete lack of dedicated server support for one thing. If you wanted to play multiplayer, you either had to set up a listen server yourself or join someone else's listen server.

Also, this dragged much of the community right to The Zone, which I found to be a rather annoying interface.

Let's hope JKII will have dedicated server support and no The Zone integration.

then why dont we see 3/4 of jedi knight owners playin on the zone or gamespy. last time i looked 55 people were playin'. Unless 55 is 3/4 of the jk owners LOL (last part was a joke)

StephenG or whatever, get ur facts straight. JK1 was going strong till 2000. After that people started leaving the game, because of more modern games. I have no idea where u got the 3/4 numbers from, show me where u got it from, because I know it's utter bollocks. I've been playing JK1 on the internet, even b4 it moved to zone and I know wtf I'm talking about.

and that:

JK - 100

CS - 16000

is just bs. You can't compare those kinda numbers when one of those games has been around 4 years longer than the other game.

I'd like to see how CS will relatively stand to JK in 4 years.

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: PredaKing ]

JK FF sabres,

you run around, you can jump, you can shoot Ds at people, The sabres just a melee weapon, lots of games have one.

The only thing that I cant think of another game that has a comparitable thingy is grip.

Seeing you have similar mechanisms but none as accurate in the positioning of the enemy.

The features aren't all that unique per say, they are just done in an extremely effective way, you jump higher, move faster. The gameplay is altered from the standard, to something more like a dog fight, with ranging combat, not just come to a little part of the arena, and shoot eachother, then run away, its mobile over the whole of the map.

SC and C&C aren't the only RTS games that exist. C&C is like doom, and SC is kinda the CS of the mix. (lots of llamas playing it ;)) You couldn't generalise the FPS gendre from only playing Doom and CS, or the RTS gendre from SC and C&C/Ra (same thing) The RTS has things like Ta, Battlezone I/II, warzone, e1250, Metal Fatigue.

just like the FPS industry there are a lot of shat samish c&c clones.. but there are some games that stand out, just like JK shines out of the fps gendre.

All gendres have this. Some companys want tried and test stuff that maximum pay back, minimum effort, others want to redifine the gendre, others just stumble blindly on something thats unbelievable. but the majority of games in a gendre are samish.

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: KillerBee ]

Archived