Home

No Force

Moses

The transcript said that Kyle would start out with no Force at the beginning because he was choosing not to. This is going to be a lot more like JK that we thought I guess. I know I was looking forward to sitting down at my computer for the first time and diving back into the Force, but oh well. We won't have the Force or our lightsaber yet. Just a bryar probably, like in JK.

Also before didn't we read about 3 "levels" of Force awareness during the game. That makes sense, I guess. Start off with no Force. Middle of the game (2nd or 3rd level most likely) Kyle goes through a huge cutscene in which he decides he will turn back to the ways of the Force. End of the game when Kyle starts whooping up on people as a full fledged Jedi once again.

In some ways it will let us grasp the game controls before we start adding Force power hotkeys etc. All the same, I think I would have liked it all at the start. :rolleyes:

Actually, it has been officially established he will not have the saber at the begining, Kyle gave it to Luke Skywalker to hold.

I also think it's a shame Kyle will not have at least some force at the start. It seems kinda weak how Kyle "forgot" how to use the force.

This is also very suprising to me because in one of the previews from E3, they said clearly that Kyle would be a full-blown Jedi at the start. Last minute change in the story LEC?

Oh well, perhaps it could be a unique turn of events that could have caused him to forget, hence the name Jedi Outcast.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: SlowbieOne ]

Actually, it has been officially established he will not have the saber at the begining, Kyle gave it to Luke Skywalker to hold.

It could be he gets it back right at the start.

I also think it's a shame Kyle will not have at least some force at the start. It seems kinda weak how Kyle "forgot" how to use the force.

He did not "forget", he chooses not to use the Force. Or more accurately he is afraid he will go to the Dark Side again if he uses them.

here's this they have the big cutscene (like they did jk and mots) showing kyle getting his lightsaber from luke and then it probably starts out with kyle being on yavin 4. now i bet everyone who writes to this forum, that i bet 1,000,000,000,000 credits that the game starts with the cutscene and then u start on yavin 4.

Yeah, he chooses not to use it because he's afraid of turning Dark. Just like his father, he could've been a full blown Jedi, but he was afraid of his potential.

On the subject of Kyle not being able to use the Force, there could be another explanation - that is used in the EU.

His Force powers could have been blocked, so that it is physically impossible for him to use them. I believe this cropped up in Darksaber - or a novel around that same period. Luke encounters a woman who was once a Jedi, and her access to the Force was blocked somehow.

So it might make sense if Kyle starts without the Force.

Although as Seryl Cann said, he might just be trying not to use the Force, for fear of turning to the dark side again. That would be a greater self conflict, and possibly make a slightly better story. ;)

Hasn't it already been confirmed that he will start out without force powers because of the fear of the dark side? (Ironic actually since fear is the path to the dark side).

Originally it was said he will have 3 stages of Force attentiveness throughout the game. Back then we thought this might mean he was simply "rusty" with his powers and he would start out with something but not much. But recently the new website's FAQ or maybe the chat revealed he will start out with NO Force powers at all. I also believe it said this is because he is afraid of turning to the darkside. Even if I'm mistaken though it does seem to be the most logical explanation.

The overview of what the game says Kyle is a "Jedi Outcast" and that he has lived without the Force and vowed never to use it again because of his fear of turning to the DS from his experience in MOTS. The fact that he was turned so easily frightened him into becoming this recluse. So it stands to reason that that is why he has no powers at the beginning of JKII.

If Luke knew about the Dark Jedi, then why would he send Kyle without a saber and force?

Luke might as well just slice him with his saber and finsh Kyle off by himself. :)

Personally, I hope they have something crafty planned rather than a normal story. One thing that can ruin a game quick is if the story is predictable.

Having the forces "build up" over time is pretty essential. Otherwise (a) the game is very tricky for new players (b) you get some immensely powerful weapons/abilities at the strt of te game and have no incentive to use any weaker ones. which leads to © you getting a bit bored of doing the same thing over and over again.

example: max pain. Bullet time is really great... but by half way through you are REALLY bored because it is all you use and it is so powerful that the game is ridiculously easy.

same reason these games always start you off with a pistol... ;)

personally i hope you won't get the saber for at least a while.. i guess about when you meet luke and he talks you into using the force again and you hopefully get to kill some baddies with him.. ;)

i liked the Vision of the Future idea of the force... where it was a bitlike sound... if you used it too much the "noise" drowned out the more subtle noises of the force guiding you. hence those that used teh force for everything, and in bigger and badder ways always seeming to turn to evil.. whereas yoda didn't seem to use the force much at all... an then only when he had to.

SO if kyle has been cutting back on force use, he should be closer to the will of the force than ever...

I'm with RaoK. If what you are saying is true, I would be more attuned to the will of the Force than Yoda. You have to learn to "quiet your mind" as Qui-Gon said. That takes training, practice, diligence. I'm thinking that while Yoda used the Force to calm himself, keep control and patience, and sense the life around him, Kyle has been slacking off from all of them. No control, no patience, no calm.

Archived