Home

No co-op mode in JK2

matt--

With regards to the engine they only used it as a base

"Because we began with a nearly-complete technology base, we were able to start development of Jedi Outcast almost immediately with little or no programmer ramp up time. This has allowed the team to focus more on creating fantastic visuals, stunning special effects, truly interactive levels and a gaming experience worthy of the original title." -- Kenn Hoekstra

But like he said, it still saved them a lot of time.

Guest Vagabond

Dearly beloved and dearly bereaved, we are gathered hear today to grieve for the loss of our dear departed friend - JKII Multiplayer Coop.

Though a companion through many journies, our paths have parted, yet perhaps hope remains. In the twilight where thee doth dwell, it is possible, however unlikely that the spirit of coop will cross the great expanse. But I dare not hope, the pain too great, the sadness so severe. And yet, one dreams...

A month? Try 6 months

IMO singleplayer relies heavily on atmosphere, suspense and the "me vs. them" idea, having a co-op sidekick tagging along with me through the game would diminish these qualities

Have you ever heard of System Shock 2? Co-op mode was added in a patch 2-3 months later, and it instantly became a hit. System Shock 2 was one of the most atmospheric games ever (in fact, Gamespot's "Game Collector" or whatever includes it on the list), and co-op mode was even more tense and exciting.

Just thought I'd point out that "loss of atmosphere" in co-op play is complete nonsense..

Originally posted by jipe:

<STRONG>

Have you ever heard of System Shock 2? Co-op mode was added in a patch 2-3 months later, and it instantly became a hit. System Shock 2 was one of the most atmospheric games ever (in fact, Gamespot's "Game Collector" or whatever includes it on the list), and co-op mode was even more tense and exciting.

Just thought I'd point out that "loss of atmosphere" in co-op play is complete nonsense..</STRONG>

Absolutely, played coop with my g/f and it took us a month or so, great atmosphere and lots of fun. Could only play it on hard mode so was NOT easy because there were two of us.

Originally posted by mostly harmless:

<STRONG>

Absolutely, played coop with my g/f and it took us a month or so, great atmosphere and lots of fun. Could only play it on hard mode so was NOT easy because there were two of us.</STRONG>

i got SS2 but i was too scared to play it. but when coop came all that changed. i had a friend watching my back and i wasn't as scared cause i had a friend with me.

Just a suggestion but what about after u release jk2 (probably applies to lec) Raven could make a mod for co-op therefore they will be meeting their deadline and if jk2 makes enough money and is good enough (which i'm sure it will be) they could start a co-op mod and then release it (for money or free download either way i'll egt it) Shoudl be great fun. I remember even quake had co-op mode and if someone got stuck that's them screwed. BUT u could paly all maps in quake over mp so it was ismply jsut givinbg an adjective. if jk2 is like jk the maps won't be with the ordianry game.

Originally posted by Agen_Terminator:

Just a suggestion but what about after u release jk2 (probably applies to lec) Raven could make a mod for co-op therefore they will be meeting their deadline and if jk2 makes enough money and is good enough (which i'm sure it will be) they could start a co-op mod and then release it (for money or free download either way i'll egt it)

I agree it would be a great way to do it, Terminator...but I think there would be problems. :(

First of all, to put Co-op in the game after release would mean going through all the levels and redesigning them slightly, rebalancing enemy/weapon/ammo ratios, putting in multi-spawn points for players, and a whole lot of other stuff I probably wouldn't understand. Suffice to say, it would probably take several months to do it justice.

While there may not be a physical or technical barrier to eventually doing it...it might be a problem for Raven. Would they be able to allocate that additional time, with all their other projects on the boil?

It would also have to be LEC's decision, I guess - and they may not be willing to fundamentally redesign some core elements, especially if JK2 does well.

I remember the headaches HumanHead had with Rune, when they released a patch that changed some game dynamics. There was uproar among the gamers - and it divided the community. I'd hate to see that happen to this community.

That's why I think some add-on missions specifically created with co-op in mind would be a better idea. And I don't just mean a few MP levels stiched together, I mean a cohesive plot, and a few missions across a few levels each.

It wouldn't bother me if I had to pay for it, either. :)

Of course there won't be co-op. It runs on dedicated servers. I can't imagine joining in a server and just starting to play co-op...not many people are into that. Instead team DM and their CTF should make up for it. The saber-only DM w/ force must really kickass since we haven't heard of any new innovated gameplay types.

I played co-op with Unreal (lots of times, really great game, might also go and play it in the add-on as people modded the maps.), played it in Alien vs Predator (it was a hack, it was easy, but it was VERY much fun, AvP is one scary game and it rocked to play it with friends) and with Duke Nukem 3D and Perfect Dark on the N64.

Needless to say, co-op is the best invention ever made. It makes a game increadibly more fun to play (especially fps's) and it should be implemented in every game released. Really. And its a great selling point also.

I'm hoping for a mod for JK2 to include co-op play. We can not live without it ;) Maybe even a counter-co-op mod like they had in Perfect Dark, where the counter player spawns as a NPC character (would be a ST in JK2) and tries to kill the main player with his only gun. After death the counter player spawns as a new NPC character. This is way original and very much fun also.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'd certainly put my name on a list of people that would like a co-op mode. Also appreciating that it would be impractical for the single-player campaign.

Heck, even some decent AI bots with decent multiplayer mode that I can team up with my friends and play against would do.

Some dedicated scenarios, like a recreation of the Theed bnattle, or some of the new ones in Attack of the Clones, would be even better...

Originally posted by BigE

I played co-op with Unreal (lots of times, really great game, might also go and play it in the add-on as people modded the maps.), played it in Alien vs Predator (it was a hack, it was easy, but it was VERY much fun, AvP is one scary game and it rocked to play it with friends) and with Duke Nukem 3D and Perfect Dark on the N64.

Indeed AvP was scary, shame I didnt know about Co-op in those days.

Originally posted by Ushgarak

Well, I'd certainly put my name on a list of people that would like a co-op mode. Also appreciating that it would be impractical for the single-player campaign.

Heck, even some decent AI bots with decent multiplayer mode that I can team up with my friends and play against would do.

Some dedicated scenarios, like a recreation of the Theed bnattle, or some of the new ones in Attack of the Clones, would be even better...

You mean like set up a partition or something?? Hey, id put my name down :)

Well, you know what it is like with petitions. For each intelligent one there are a dozen or more stupid ones; to the point where they ALL get ignored.

Too many games come out without even a vague concession towards co-op mode these days, but I feel it is because that co-op simply isn't popular enough amongst the deathmatch-hungry gamers of today.

So I think the best hope (same for AVP2) is for someone to make good quality bots for the game. Then so long as the team deathmatch options are good, you can have fun teaming up against teams of AI bots.

(BTW, the problem with the AVP 'hack' (it was actually a very simple process of re-naming files) is that the levels never quite worked properly- a lot of the triggers didn't activate.)

Actually, it was a fairly simple process to adjust Jedi Knight levels to be played co-operatively. But there were very weird sync problems with enemies, and things like door switches didn't operate. Shame.

Archived