Home

What I want done with the sound effects

The_WAH

One thing that really annoyed me about JK was the fact that every one of your enemies had like a handful sound effect files for each type of character it was.

I believe these were the stormtrooper sound effects. (Well the most common ones)

"There he is, stop him!"

"Set blasters on full"

and three variations of

"Aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!"

What I would like to see would be more, "intelligent" sounding enemies in JKII. The game gets kind of dull hearing the same sound effects over and over again. It might be cool if they scripted more sound effects in too. I know the sound guys did that a few times in JK but I didn't feel like it was enough. I may be asking a bit, and I don't want them to change the current release date (Spring 2002) to another "When its finished" just to add in all these extra effects.

Welcome to the forums, The_WAH. Hope you enjoy your stay. ;) Here...

*hands over chocolate Jedi Medallion*

There you go.

Now, you raise a good point there. I'm sure the Raven Devs have been working a lot on sound...I know they have for SOFII, judging by the interviews. Whether or not there will be a vast range of spoken (or screamed ;) ) reponses, is unknown. I too hope for more variety this time around, but as you say they are on a pretty tight schedule, so they may not have time to add in a ton of different sound effects.

I'm sure they'll do their best, though. :)

you are not counting on the Ep2 factor Darth Lunatic

In the chat with the devs I asked if they were under pressure to release the game about the same time of the movie, or If theyd have time to finish it and polish it.

They didnt ask my question, or any similar one

So I pressume the first, they must release the game on that date, the movie will multiply sells probably more than any review could

I hope they dont rush the game, but If they do they must release all necessary patches, and hopefully release new mp maps/modes or anything

A good example of great sound effects for me was the original "Alone in the Dark" The standards were lower then so it probably won't have the same effect now. I remember playing that game and you're walking through the mansion, you can barely see because it is so dark, and all you hear is the creaking floor boards, the wind, and a branch knocking on your window. All of a sudden this loud noise would happen and you almost crap your pants. The sound in that game is what made it for me. Of course compared to some stuff today its not that great, but compared to what was out there at the time it was amazing. Or like in Alien where you didn't see it but you knew it was there because you heard that scary breathing noise.

Now I know JKII is not in the same category as Alone in the Dark but I want good sound. I would kill (well maybe not "kill") to hear something like when maybe an officer you're shooting at gets away, runs down a corridor, you follow him and you hear this in the next room.

"Sound the alarm. We've got an intruder in the base I want troops up on this level after him."

All of a sudden a loud blaring alarm sounds you hear the loud clanking of many little white boots on hard metal floors. Doors woosh open, more clanking coming towards you. You see a mass of white armored bodies looking straight out you, the troops pause, one shouts "Fire!" and a barrage of blaster fire comes at you riddling you full of holes.

If this was possible, I'd be a happy man. For this to work the AI would have to be good also... Well one can dream. Just, please, no more, "There he is, stop him!" from four different stormtroopers at the same time.

what you describe would be a scripted sequence, theres no way that could work all the time, and if the officers said always the same thing Itd be repetitive also

The only way they could fix the problem is recording tons of lines so you wouldnt hear "There he is, stop him!" "Set blasters on full" all the time

Speaking of scripted sequences, I'm kinda hoping we can get some that work like in No One Lives Forever. Lots of the scripted sequences were useless and funny, and I'm hoping to see some stuff like that.

You know, being in maybe a little tunnel or airshaft, and overhearing a couple of Stormies below you talking. Garth and Wayne style.

*"Hey, man, you seen that Princess Leia chic? She's babe-er-riffic." "Oh, yeah, man, you ever checked out that metal bikini? Man, if she were president, she'd be named Babe-braham Lincoln."*

That'd be some good stuff.

I'm not specifically hoping for some crazed conversations like that (unless for some sort of cheat or something, hint hint). I just wanna see the HUMAN side of things for once. Stormies are always sitting there, not talking, just being like...

(long silence) "Did you hear that?"

(another long silence) "Hear what?"

(more silence) "Never mind."

I just wanna see the Stormies crack for once, say, maybe if I take too long to do a level, and I just stand there, hiding, while they just stand there on some bridge, acting stupid, and then all of the sudden...

"WHEN THE HELL IS SOMETHING GONNA' HAPPEN AROUND HERE!" (jumps off of bridge to his death)

I just wanna see the human inside them all.

They're not robots.

AI can do this, you know.

Let's make it happen.

Each time I post this it seems to get shorter...:D

I too would like to see a great deal more variety in the responses of characters. I don't think it all has to be done with scripted sequences...well, not in the usual sense of that word.

If the AI is competent enough that the characters can judge a given situation, and give an appropriate response, I don't really see the need for lots of scripting. At the same time, I know that the AI is reliant on it's own form of scripting. ;)

The problem with having a wider variety of responses, though, is an increase in storage space.

My own pet theory would be to incorporate something like a modified text reader in the game. You know the type of thing, where you can adjust the pitch, tone, timbre and what-have-you, and the voice reads the text to you. This would allow a certain amount of flexibility, in that you could slightly alter the setting for each character or character-type...and you could really extend the range of responses, which would be contained in some form of text file. You could also potentially set up your own in-game voice, so that any messages you typed could be spoken within the game.

The problem with such a system is that the quality is probably not yet good enough to match pre-recorded speech. There is also the problem of economies of scale...in other words, the text translator will obviously have to take up X amount of space, and that might potentially be more than recorded speech - so a judgement would have to be made on whether or not incorporating such a system would be worthwhile. ;)

[EDIT - sorry about the typo...I'm surprised it wasn't censored! :D]

Archived