Home

Stop bashin the new sw movies

nequadah

I hated episode i... It was such a let down...

Well basically I bought like 60 tickets..and i sold at a profit of course =X. I rallied up the starwars fans in my secondary school..and sold the tix to them...even my school principal and a few teachers went with us.. (they're cool..i was from an all boys school and stuff) So we went..all of us were excited...and we watched...we came out..with..an odd feeling. Sort of a letdown.

And then after much thinking..i realised..there were many factors why we didn't enjoy episode I.

one of em was our expectations were WAY too high....most of us when we sat watching episode I we were expecting to watch like one of the most kick ass movies in the world or something...

another thing is the universe we saw was like a drastic change from the old trilogy...no X wing...really happy wonderful colourful universe...no star destroyers etc.

but ever thought maybe thats what george lucas wanted? episode i was supposed to be the last days of the happy times...he prolly wanted to show how grand/happy the old times were like..and what was it the rebellion was fighting to bring back.. and he said it himself...he episode i was focused on showing u places....when luke says "i'm stuck in this far corner of the universe" or something..u know what he really means after u watch episode i.

and anakin..well he was sorta an idiot..but..he's a kid...how ya expect kids to behave?? anakin was a good guy before he turned to vader..most of us were expecting like some kid with some really huge problems or something..and that actor..he did an ok job with anakin....most of em preferred that haley osmond guy that 6th sense guy..but then..when ya look at him..i dont exactly see a kid heh..see more of an adult..ok nvm that..so its like..when ya look at the kid..u think..omg..this guy's gonnabe darth vader?! maybe lucas wants to show he had a normal past..i mean..people weren't born evil right? its things in that happen in their life that makes em do bad things and all..

next comes jar jar..well..i still hate him...

and then the fights...people say they lacked dialogues...whats there to talk about anyway?

darth maul was sort of an assassin

another thing is..lucas already planned out the basic story outline of episode 1-6 way before a new hope came out..so its not like we're getting "new" episodes...they were already there in his head long time ago..lucas didn't have to think of em and create a new storyline for them now..they were already there right?

i hope u understand what i'm trying to say...my command of english ain't that great and all -_-

well just my opinion....

after watching episode i few times i think its not bad after all.

in fact most people who haven't watch the old trilogy and watch episode i...liked episode i a lot..

like i converted about 3 of my friends into starwars nuts by makin em watch episode i first...

and they enjoyed the old trilogy even more

^ ^

nequadah...I hear what you're saying. ;)

Of course Episode I had some redeeming features... As I said before (in another thread), I'm glad a lot of people liked it. But at the same time there are a lot of people who didn't like it.

Personally I didn't enjoy the film as much as I thought I would - and I wasn't expecting the best movie ever made. ;)

That's life. Lucas can't please everyone, nor should he try. We're all entitled to our own opinions...

Guest C Shutt

The reason so many people hated The Phantom Menace was that it was an awful movie. Bad acting, terrible dialogue, convoluted storyline and dull, derivative action scenes.

Yes those are the main reasons, along with whole lot of others. My main one being, there was no hero the audience could relate to. Like Luke Skywalker from Episode 4.

My viewpoint of Star Wars has changed a lot since TPM. I now see them as mere movies, kids movies as a matter of fact. So i don't expect great character development and a great plot. What i do expect is great action scenes and great lightsaber fights.

Guest Vagabond

Yes, I tend to agree with the general sentiment here.

Of all the Star Wars movies, TPM was my least favorite. It's still fairly good, but as was pointed out:

1. Bad acting by Jake Lloyd, average performance by Natalie Portman - hot though she may be. However, good job by Ewan, Liam, and Pernillia.

2. Rather bland and unclear plot. Some minor plot flaws as mentioned in other threads.

3. Jar Jar, and actually most Gugans in general - this actually goes without saying.

4. A not-very-scary enemy in the ineptitudes of the basic battle droid. The destroyer droids, however, were quite impressive.

I'm not too disappointed with the absence of a Han Solo-like character. If there's not a logical reason for that type of character to be in the story, then artificially inserting one would appear contrived - people would simply refer to that character as the Han Solo of TPM.

If anything, Qui-Gonn was the closest to this type of character - a maverick, a willful Jedi who defies the council and exists in the gray area between black and white. I actually really liked Gui-Gonn for this reason, and yet, when confronting Darth Maul, he was the one who calmly meditated before his final showdown, while Obi-Wan bubbled over with rage - giving into his hatred.

This last scene, the saber duel with Maul, was the best part of TPM on many levels. The action, of course that was masterfully scripted by Ray Parks. However, that Obi-Wan flirted with the Dark Side to avenge his master's death is quite telling and I think portends events yet to come. That Gui-Gonn, despite his defiant ways, was strictly in control of his emotions during his duel with Maul, clearly serene. And yet, his rebellious, dying wish to Obi-Wan was to defy the Jedi Council and train Anakin. There's just so much to like about this sequence that it almost makes up for the many of the negatives of the film.

Anyway, I kind of digressed there. Overall, if people want to bash TPM or praise it, knock yourselves out. Just don't call each other names, and I won't have to pull out my EditingSaber TM :cool:

TPM sucked...acting was wooden...but i think that was due to the script not the actors themselves...lucas should have spent more time editing the film...and the best thing in the film was darth maul even thought he had an average of 5 minutes in the film...the one think i hope is lucas seriously thinks about what he's gona do for the attack of the clones ( including changing the name )...

I actually quite enjoyed EP1 the first time we saw it... partly because it was quite specacular in places, partly because we had gone up to london, met up with friends and got ourselves all hyped up for it.

Then i went back a week later to take my parents, and i was kind of bored by half way through.. not really the sign of a good film... especially when i can think of lots of films i can still enjoy, despite having seen them a load of times.

I have just been reading Vision of the Future.. and i think i have figured out the problem...

Part of the genius of the original films was that they kind of refered back to all these epic events (Jedi, Old Republic, CLone Wars etc...) but then didn't fill in that much detail about them. That meant you had to use your imagination... and of course everyone came up with their own cool, but slightly different impressions of what had happened. This contributed greatly tothe epic feel of the whole thing.. but it also makes it very hard for the film makers to top.

It is a bit like watching a film of a book you have read... no matter how hard they try the film makers can never really come up with something that is better than your imagination, and they are bound to come up with something that just DOESN'T FIT with how you had imagined it.

Which is sort of illustrated by the fact that every so often people (Including myself) get upset about something being "Un-starwarsy". )NOt that anyone can ever define what they mean exactly...we have just all built up these impressions in out head of what is starwarsy and what isn't. (A Good example being Midichloreans)

This does but george lucas in a very difficult position... but on the other hand he does seem to be doing his stubborn best to rub it in that Star Wars is HIS, and he can do whatever he wants with it. He has a huge audience of 20something fans, so what does he do... he makes a film aimed at 5 year olds. He gets a load of really good actors in (Liam, Ewan, Natalie etc...) and then directs them so ridgidly that they all (without exception) give the most wooden performances of their careers. He basically brings in a load of new elements that mess with everyones expectations. (midichloreans, only 2 sith, battle droids, Qui Gonn etc..)

I think if you had asked any star wars fan to outline what he thought the plots to the prequels would be... no one would have come up with the plot of Ep1. In fact, it seems very clear that he really had no idea of what came before episode 4 (apart from some very vague plot points) and is making it all up as he goes along. Which would be fine...if he had admitted that, rather than making us think there was some big untold story here that fitted in with the originals... and therefore raising our expectations so high.

Starwars and Empire just won a top 100 films "poll of polls" on TV in the uk... but there was no mention of Jedi or Ep1 in there... which has to tell you something. What it tells me is that he is aiming the later films at totally the wrong audience.

Originally posted by nequadah:

<STRONG>I hated episode i... It was such a let down...

Well basically I bought like 60 tickets..and i sold at a profit of course =X. I rallied up the starwars fans in my secondary school..and sold the tix to them...even my school principal and a few teachers went with us.. (they're cool..i was from an all boys school and stuff) So we went..all of us were excited...and we watched...we came out..with..an odd feeling. Sort of a letdown.

And then after much thinking..i realised..there were many factors why we didn't enjoy episode I.

one of em was our expectations were WAY too high....most of us when we sat watching episode I we were expecting to watch like one of the most kick ass movies in the world or something...

another thing is the universe we saw was like a drastic change from the old trilogy...no X wing...really happy wonderful colourful universe...no star destroyers etc.

but ever thought maybe thats what george lucas wanted? episode i was supposed to be the last days of the happy times...he prolly wanted to show how grand/happy the old times were like..and what was it the rebellion was fighting to bring back.. and he said it himself...he episode i was focused on showing u places....when luke says "i'm stuck in this far corner of the universe" or something..u know what he really means after u watch episode i.

and anakin..well he was sorta an idiot..but..he's a kid...how ya expect kids to behave?? anakin was a good guy before he turned to vader..most of us were expecting like some kid with some really huge problems or something..and that actor..he did an ok job with anakin....most of em preferred that haley osmond guy that 6th sense guy..but then..when ya look at him..i dont exactly see a kid heh..see more of an adult..ok nvm that..so its like..when ya look at the kid..u think..omg..this guy's gonnabe darth vader?! maybe lucas wants to show he had a normal past..i mean..people weren't born evil right? its things in that happen in their life that makes em do bad things and all..

next comes jar jar..well..i still hate him...

and then the fights...people say they lacked dialogues...whats there to talk about anyway?

darth maul was sort of an assassin

another thing is..lucas already planned out the basic story outline of episode 1-6 way before a new hope came out..so its not like we're getting "new" episodes...they were already there in his head long time ago..lucas didn't have to think of em and create a new storyline for them now..they were already there right?

i hope u understand what i'm trying to say...my command of english ain't that great and all -_-

well just my opinion....

after watching episode i few times i think its not bad after all.

^ ^</STRONG>

Well i think ep 1 was OK. Jarjar wasnt that bad, and the acting was OK too. But anyway, it is an opinion...

;)

The reason why the phantom menace was so artistic and different, was because the empire didnt exist, society is alot more artistic, and peacful. I love the phantom menace. And call me sad, (i dont care), i loved jar jar. The only reason why people didnt like jar jar is because he was the first purely humerous star wars character. One of the reasons George put in jar jar is because he knew the film would be introduced to a new generation of fans, and these fans would be little kids who love jar jar. Another reason why episode i is so bright, is because it was an introduction of characters. As we see in the episode ii trailers, and as George Lucas said, it will be alot more darker, and episode iii will be even more darker. I thought that tpm wwas great and i just think that "SOME" star wars fans can't move with the knew films aswell as holding on to the original, and eqauly amazing, classic films.

Guest Vagabond

I just have to disagree with you on the point that Jar Jar was in any way funny. My sense of humor is pretty broad - I can find the humor in almost any situation, and love to poke fun and laugh at all manner of things - just ask Wilhuf for a run down of my silly antics.

But Jar Jar, in my opinion, is not funny but rather obnoxious in the way that a three-year-old boy pulls a girl's hair to indicate that he likes her - which would actually be kind of cute coming from a child. But Jar Jar, as I understand it, is an "adult" of his species - not so funny. I mean, are we to believe that a non-mentally impaired adult can be that stupid and clumsy?!

Further, there is just too much of Jar Jar in TPM, and whenever he appears he's always playing the bumbling idiot, which gets old quite quickly. Perhaps in smaller doses he would have been more likeable, but then again, perhaps not.

Actually, the only scene that I enjoyed with Jar Jar was when Qui-Gonn caught his tongue in mid-air and instructed Jar Jar, "Don't do that again." Secretly - okay, not so secretly - I was hoping that Gui-Gonn would just do everyone a favor and detach Jar Jar's tongue from his mouth so we wouldn't be cursed with anymore of his unhumorous blathering.

Of course, this is all my opinion, and if one find his antics comical, then that's great. I just don't.

what he said...and theres still the point that the acting was the most wooden ive seen in along time...you could see the actors were having problems with the limitations of the script...i mean look at ewan mcgregor...half the time he acted as if he was pissed off with something and im not talking about the trade federation...the story was tooo basic, not really that intelligent and patronising even if the film as aimed at 5 year olds...i mean harry potter has more substance and we all know the certification for that film...someone mentioned that the fans havent moved on...i think lucas hasnt moved on enough for the fans or even the general public who do expect more then churning out garbage and slaping a great merchandising label on it...it insults the fans and it insults the franchise which ultimately is what it is...

I really liked Episode 1, but I do agree with a lot of the points for & against it.

The thing is, it's a prequel, which means all the good stuff comes afterwards. Basically it's just the beginning of a real long story I guess.

Jar Jar was ok, but he was only funny when he was actually beating a bunch of droids by tripping over everything in the battle at the end. Other than that, he wasn't that great in the movie.

mmmyeah, i like TPM, because 1) i didn't know i was going till that day, and 2) i was running off so much adrenaline from getting amped by the people around me. i loved it.

oh yeah, wilhuf, what sorta crazy stuff is Vagabond talking about? i betcha i could beat it :) i.e. we got ourselves stuck in a lift twice in the last couple of weeks cause we were jumping in it :D and that was a lame crazy thing we have done.

;)

*EDIT: i forgot some :p

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: Access_fluX ]

When I first saw Episode I in the theater I hated it. I hadn't seen it again until a few nights ago when it aired on FOX-11 channel.

After seeing Episode I for the second time, I liked it a lot more. Overall, I'd say the movie was pretty decent. Not excellent, but I'd give it an 88/100. Almost an A-, but not quite.

Three things I had trouble with (aside from the acting, which was average for most of the characters):

1) Darth Maul wasn't shown nearly enough. In 4-6 Darth Vader and even The Emperor get tons more screen time.

2) Jar-Jar Binks - I think we all know this one.

3) Way too many chance events with attempted humour (Anakin blowing up the droid control ship so easily, Jar-Jar and pals having a face-to-face confrontation with warbots and high-tech weaponry and not getting utterly annihilated :confused: ).

What I liked most about the movie overall was the hidden political intrigue and sub-plots. Palpatine is easily my favorite character in the Star Wars universe, and I think the fairly good acting and lines in Episode I for Palpatine are :cool: . I tend to think of 1-3 as a clever political commentary, certainly more so than they are mere children's movies.

(4) Running too many parallel action scenes at once (Jedi Duel, Padme's Lot, Jar Jar vs. Droids, Anakin vs Droid ship)

(5) 200 Droid ships at the start, 1 when they come back. huh??

i did think palpatine and maul were cool, although maul definately needed more lines, and he died like a wuss. having palpatine play everone against each other and come out on top no matter what happens (like Lord Foul in the Covenant Chronicles) seems to be the best bet of the whole trilogy.

they do seem to have wasted a lot of time though, they now have only 2 films to do the whole romance, get pregnant, turn to the darkside, clone wars, obi vs vader duel, jedi hunt etc... which makes me worry it is all gonna be handled so quick that we won't really get a chance to care for any of the characters.

Archived