Home

AMD Wants To Offer 3.3GHz Chips By End Of Next Year

CaptainRAVE

AMD has announced that it is looking to launch a series of 3.3 processors by the end of next year based on a 0.13 micron Hammer chip. Then they will look at 4.4GHz by the early part of 2003.

It is looking at launching the processors to replace its current 0.18 micron Palomino chip.

The chips will be named 3300 and 4400 in accordance with the companies new naming system.

wow thats fast

but are you sure about the model numbers?

Thats not the way the new naming system works

they dont name using the Ghz, they name them like the equivalent performance pentium

for example an athlon 1500 is running at 1,2 Ghz but performs similar to a pentium 1,5 (Its just an example the numbers are not right at all)

thats not all that suprising to me actually.

seeing there already releasing more powerful chips almost monthly now. so even by half way through next year theyll (ibm and amd) will probalby be getting to the 2.7 ghz mark.

A bit away from that i heard about this thing somewhere....and it said that over the next few years cpu's are going to get so powerful and small that theyll have to rethink the way they buil them or it will end up being to small to fit in your computer :)

AMD has showed off their new processor which uses the .13 micron manufacturing technique, which they have code named 'Thoroughbred' at the Comdex convention.

Thoroughbred will go public early next year. However, AMD refused to give the clock speed of the new chip.

They also demonstrated the new Athlon XP 2000+ chip, but were even more close-mouthed about it, saying only that the official release of their fastest chip yet was just "around the corner."

Yeah, I heard that too acdcfanbill. ;)

It all sounds good to me. Of course, we'll probably have to upgrade the MoBo again when this next batch arrives. I just hope they continue working on getting rid of the bottlenecks in the rest of the system...because if they don't then faster processors will be pretty much redundant if they're not fed fast enough.

I think a radical redesign is in order.

Archived