Home

Voodoo 3 vs Geforce II gts 3dmark2k

Red_XIIII

Now i know this dosnt sound like a fair match heh, but listen....

I purchased a Voodoo 3 3000 at a comp show a week ago, i was gonna use it for the main video card for the machine i'm usin now, since i am gonna be stripin it of its Geforce II gts HD, Cd, and modem, ta use in my new rig, whenever my swiftech heatsink arives...... anyway for the heck of it, (i was bored and wanted to play some of my old glide games) i riped out my GF II , and replaced it with the V3, no hiccups at all in the unistall phase and reinstall, now i must mention the V3 is a little diff then anyother V3 i've seen (2 other comps i got use a Voodoo3 2000, and a V3 3000) the form factor of the card is diffrent then a stock V3 u'd by from a Boxed Version ud buy at a store, i'm taking it, thats its some OEM card it has a huge passive heatsink and its copper... I first thought it was a custom, but the guy that was sellin em had a huge box full of the same card, so its def stock.

Also the Card is about an inch shorter then a Stock Voodoo 3... heres the scores i got in 3dmark2k

[*]4002 @ 166mhz core/ram

[*]4231 @ 180mhz core/ram

[*]4725 @ 200mhz core/ram dual 486 fans

[*]4840 @ 210mhz core/ram dual 486 fans

what amazed me was that i got the card to 210mhz ram/core, plz note that the heatsink on the card is covering the ram also, at 210 mhz the core is faster then a Geforce III witch is rated at 200mhz, the scores of course arn't the same :D now lets make a comparsion to my Gf II Gts Non OC

[*]6430 Hard ware Texture and Lighting

[*]4210 SSE

[*]3627 Software TnL

note the Voodoo 3 was using SSE in all its tests. The V3 is a fast little sucker Overclocked, at 180mhz it beat the GTS in SSE mode. And most games do not use Hardware TNL even now the amount of HtNl games i own i can count on my hands. but nether the less HTNL is important, esp to Q3 and JK II for 20$ i bought a kickass card, what suprised me is the fact it reached sutch a High Overclocked state, i'm wonderin where this guy that sold me it what type of machines he ripedem outof... to me i would say prob a Falcon or Alienware, the card came with nothin, jus a antistatic sack. If ure lookin for a low price Vcard, and want glide support get a Voodoo 3 (esp if u can find the guy that sold me this card, i would like another 10 or so :D ) I'll def be installin my Geforce II Gts back, but only after i beat FF7 again..... I could never get it to run on the Geforce II :[

test system

PIII 650@806mhz

Via Appollo Pro 133A mobo

512mb pc133

40gb 7200rpm hd

52x cd

Sb Live X gamer Orginal

Win98, not tested in 2k, dint wanna wait on another driver Dload, 3dfx's server is so slow.......

forgot to mention, all tests were done in 800*600 @16bit vsync off

[ November 03, 2001: Message edited by: Red_XIIII ]

GRR u hypocrites check the size of his sig pic compared to mine, mine might have been a little bigger but no much!!!! why aren't yous annoying him about size im ena now i hasve a little baby pic!!! NOT FAIR!! BA WA WO HOO WOO BOO HOO!!!! Kurgan what u got against me and not him! just because i look so great and handsome doesn't mean u hafta be jealous!!!!

And the V3 card sounds quite good!!!! anyway i don't think my card helps at all.. listen:

Geforce 2 card runs pretty damn good in all my games i can have it at ridiculous rates of speed and graphics

No Card at all and runs pretty damn good in all my games i can have it at ridiculous rates of speed and graphics

Mind u i have a 1.2 gigahurtz and 256 ram :D

anyway

And the V3 card sounds quite good!!!! anyway i don't think my card helps at all.. listen:

Geforce 2 card runs pretty damn good in all my games i can have it at ridiculous rates of speed and graphics

No Card at all and runs pretty damn good in all my games i can have it at ridiculous rates of speed and graphics

Mind u i have a 1.2 gigahurtz and 256 ram :D

anyway[/QB]

what the heck are u sayin? ure GFII runs fast in all games, i'd hope so u do got a 1.2ghz machine and most games that are still comin out try to aim for playable rates on a PII 300, and my sig aint that big, whas with u and disin my sig bah! and the other thing da GF II has one prob i nvr liked, its not that compatible. Nvidia will never attain the comptaibilty rates of the Voodoo series, shame now since nvidia owns 3dfx they could atleast incoprate a Glide emu into their drivers. still GF II is the wayta go for now.... infact i'd skip over the entire GFIII series, dosnt off enough speed, and the card is a 1st genration Pixel shader card, later cards will be mutch faster in that regard so its best to wait for them.

My old PC was a PII 233. Deus Ex required a P3 600 for best graphics. With my old Voodoo 3 i could barely run it lowest graphics. When i inserted my Geforce 2 GTS into it i could run the game best graphics with out any frames skipping. Scores mean nothing, its when you actually put it into use you will notice the difference.

Also you have to take into consideration that Voodoo 3s were designed for older systems and work best for them. The Geforce 2 GTS was designed for new systems and doesnt work very well with P2's etc.

Another thing to remember is that new cards are often brought out, not just for an increase of speed but also newer features. Also the GeForce 2 is better at higher resolutions. Actually it can do resolutions that we cant get on monitors yet...seems kinda pointless to me :)

Got my words mixed up, sorry what i meant to say was: All my games work pretty damn good when i'm using a geforce2 andi don't c too muhc difference without it even though it does make a presence in the game black & White but doesn't help much.

and for the sig i had to make it minature because all sort were complaining i mean it only took up half a page at 1024x768 :rolleyes: rave good point because like u say Voodoo helped the old machines and i've never tried a voodoo on this comp but i ahve gf2 and it only makes a difference to my shadows but with this comp i shouldn't be blethering.

ah rave, the Unreal engine is one engine i been messin with, the last couple of days with this card, Unreal, Unreal Return ta Na Pali, and Deus Ex run better on da v3, ya gota remeber all code on dis engine was desinged specficly for GLIDE, d3d was tacked on, only UT is faster on da geforce, and i have ta download a spef d3d.dll for UT ta get the speed all the stock renders for UT run like crap on da geforce, and TNT chips and anything else that dosnt support glide.

heh infact Deus Ex was the one game i nvr tried on a V3 before and new its avg speed, i am gettin an extra fps boost on da old v3 in it, course go run the V3 in q3 and its almost 2x slow, i ran time demo 001 on da geforce II, i get 108fps, V3 62, 3 loops Normal detail. my whole point is, da V3 is great for a budget system, better then a TNT2 vantra people are putting in..... ewwww

i wouldnt give up my Geforce II yet not for an old card heh i alrdy have anyway in other systems and howd u get ure Geforce ta Function in a old system like that???? most 1x agp ports from that era can't supply the card with enough power. I couldn't even get my old Celron 333 with a Intel LX mobo chipset to even run da old TNT2, not enough power from da port. And one last thing, this v3 must be a hell of a good reap from 3dfx's chip amnufacturin plant, even with that heavy heatsink copper heatsink on it, thats coverin da ram too, i got it ta 192mhz before i had to add fans from a stock of 166mhz, da fans i used on it are 486 heatsink fans, these fans have clipons that i can attatch it ta the heatsinks side, the heatsink is big enough ta attach 2 ofem! and 210mhz... that mus be da faster o/c for a voodoo 3 chip that i know of.

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: Red_XIIII ]

if i shinrk it the text is unreadable the pic was near 1280*840 or somthin near that on da orginal and do other thing is near 80% jpeg compresion shrinkin it would really make it unreadable thas why its 20k with 57000 colors.

i shurnk it by 30% thas all the farther i'm gonna go with it tho, its also now 60% bigger file size then the other one, now 33k instead of 20k. no JPEG compression it'll take fresserver ta update it a couple of hours, maybe days knowin how slow they freakin are

Dont be so cheeky boy.

Some of us are on 36k modems and each page can take a while to load due to some pretty big sigs.

Also, why should we have to scroll through those huge sigs just to see your posts. I am not here to look at the pretty pictures I want to see peoples ideas...

wardz

CHECKY??? What the heck that mean bah, would u like me to make my Sig 100x100 monochrome? and if ure 56k modem can't load a pic heh get a better isp even 33k isnt that big ta 6k a sec 56k modem. and once its loaded into the cache the sig dosnt even need ta be redownloaded every time. Right now its 158x221, that is bout the smallest i can get it and maintain legitable quailty, and this threads bout da V3 stop wit da sigs now plzz.

guess noone seems ta c the irony of da V3 and how old it is, bein able to hit 210mhz on a .35micron proc, while it takes da geforce a .15m proc ta hit 200, highest OC i've heard of for a Geforce II gts is 250mhz core, 223mhz mem (446mhz ddr), and this was water cooled i suppose.

Ok i know we're supposed to stop with da sigs but unless u've not got cookies on it doesn't matter because 1nce u download (5 secs at msot on my 56k modem).

PS. I don't have lazy fingers to scroll just because of a sig. so stop annoying us because of sigs ;)

Its true, why should I have to scroll through huge sigs to get to the actual post?

People look at a sig once then thats it, they dont spend ages thinking to themselves

"My, what a wonderful job Red XCMIV has done on his sig, I just love that shade of yellow it matches perfectly with my wallpaper..."

P.S If you plan on replying to this, can you please do it English? I spent about 10 minutes deciphering that piss poor excuse for a post.

wardz

Originally posted by Red_XIIII:

[QB]ah rave, the Unreal engine is one engine i been messin with, the last couple of days with this card, Unreal, Unreal Return ta Na Pali, and Deus Ex run better on da v3QB]

I also noticed this. But games like Elite Force run much better on the Geforce 2. Of course with my new pc i can run any game best graphics maximum resolution anyway. In black and white I get 80fps max graphics and max resolution :).

Also, i dont mind the size of your sig, i reckon it looks real cool. Very few people have interesting sig pics at the mo.

Originally posted by wardz:

<STRONG>Its true, why should I have to scroll through huge sigs to get to the actual post?

People look at a sig once then thats it, they dont spend ages thinking to themselves

P.S If you plan on replying to this, can you please do it English? I spent about 10 minutes deciphering that piss poor excuse for a post.

wardz</STRONG>

howd ya know i was in CM? heh heh and learn da read den dan nab it.

I been messin wit dis V3 somemore and now rember some crictical Downfalls ta da chip

MultiTexture support over 2 tex is nill,

this is extremely noticable on games that use alot of decals, Any space Flight sim for instance, pump a full load of lasers into a shield and expect a series speed loss, also many many Alpha chanels over and over will kill da card, things da Geforce Series has no prob with.

I still can't beleive the card is still runnin stable after a week of use @210mhz core/mem esp the mem as its 7.5ns sdram, i finaly took da heatsink off to check what it is. Nice cheap card this was, gettin bored of it tho, gonnna shove my geforce back in.... still waitin for my heatsink for my Athlon XP 1700 so i can finaly install it...... bah i hate mail orders.....

one other thing, rave howd u gettin 80fps in BW?? i have trouble mainting anything over 40 with my GF2, esp when i've built a huge village up. And once i build this village up, it hovers around 25, i used Fraps to get da avg Framrates Outa BW http://www.fraps.com/

whats ure cpu ram etc?

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: Red_XIIII ]

IHOP CBS TiVO PHP 2 PCP iMAC DOT.COM WYSIWYG GIGO CNN DDR SA/MoFOS UCLA NAACP BBS NSYNC AARP DALNET PPP WWW FTP CVC AC/DC VIP OCP NWO WASP BLT OSHA DWI INS MCP OJ CRP SCTV WKRP (in Cincinatti) SWF BMF BFG9K ATM DUI ABC MTV WAN LAN THANK YOU MAAM, TTFN

Archived