Home

how'd they know eh?!

Mafia_Jabba

Er, can you be a bit more specific?

Are we talking about Maul's drones? The fore-runners of the Imperial Probe droids? If so, it was their job to sniff out the Jedi, and the others, using whatever sensors such droids carry. You might notice one of them going past the window behind Qui-Gon when he's talking to Watto about releasing Anakin. So they were spotted from that point...and no doubt followed...hence Maul getting on his custom-job swoop and setting off in pursuit.

Of course, I've heard there is a part of a scene missing - just before you see Qui-Gon and Anakin running for the ship - so perhaps there's a bit in there that puts it in better perspective? Wasn't that scene supposed to be included on the TPM DVD?

Guest Vagabond

Agreed, this is a pretty vital piece of information. I too had suspected that someone had replied to the governor's message, against Qui-Gonn's instructions. But if that suspicion is incorrect, then I'm at a loss as to how Darth Maul could have known to go to Tatooine.

Of course, since we're talking about oddities in the Star Wars scripts, how about this:

1. Han Solo and the Falcon blast their way through the blockade at Hoth, and then discover that their hyperdrive doesn't work.

2. They hide out in an asteroid field and make some minor repairs, but then abruptly leave when they discover that they're inside a giant space slug.

3. They hitch on back of an Imperial Star Destroyer to avoid being detected.

4. Prior to the Imperial fleet breaking up and going into hyperspace, they float away with the rest of the junk to conceal their escape.

5. Then, Han Solo, who is still presumably still in the Hoth system, goes, "Hmmm, we could make it to the Anoat system...Lando's there", or something to that effect. And so they do that.

6. After traveling to another star system, without the use of hyperdrives, Han tells Lando that they have hyperdrive problems, and asks for help with repairs.

Okay, so, either:

1. The sub-light drives are really, really fast in the Star Wars galaxy.

2. The Anoat system is super duper close to the Hoth system - can you say binary star system.

3. Han hitched a ride to the Anoat system on the back of the Imperial Star Destroyer, through hyperspace - not likely.

4. This is a plot flaw.

well, there werent any windows by the falcon, the only windows on the Star Distroyers i remimber are on the bridge, there are prob others on ten foward (or the SW equivalent) and maybe a couple other places, but i doubt that they are all over, they put armor all over the damn thing, its meters thick...

Guest Vagabond

Still, I'd think there'd be some windows back there that would have seen it. I find it very hard to believe that the entire back-side of a Star Destroy is windowless. Not only that, but wouldn't one expect a big thump, ker-chunk when the falcon attached itself to the hull plating. Surely some astute StormTrooper would think, "Hmmm, is that a ship attaching itself to the hull, or are you just glad to see me?"

Anoat is the nearest system to the Hoth system. and you have to assume that the time between them leaving the back of the Star Destroyer and arriving at Bespin is a few days or more, because Vader's fleet left Hoth in the opposite direction to the falcon and managed to get to bespin before them.

Archived