Home

policeware

matt--

I think someone read the book Nineteen Eighty-Four and took it to heart. Talk about Big Brother, sheesh. Next they'll be demanding webcams on the top of every PC, just to make sure you are who you say you are when you log on. :rolleyes:

And what about Anti-Trust laws now? What they're effectively saying there is you can use any OS you like as long as it's Windows.

Screwy...or scary. :eek:

The law would force all new personal computers and digital home entertainment devices sold in the United States to have government-approved "policeware" built-in.

[simpsons Nelson voice]Ha ha![/simpsons Nelson voice]

j/k :D

seriously, If that is approved It would end up being used worldwide, and Its totally against our rights and our freedom

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: digl ]

doesn't windows XP already have something a bit like this built in?

And i remember reading that new hard drives are gonna have some sort of hardware to only allow mp3 files you have rights to or something. Dunno how that would work.

Looks like we are all gonna be stuck with winME and small hard disks for years... ;)

Spyware sucks... and we don't need more snooping, it's bad enough with hackers/crackers/whatevers doing it, and corporate fat cats and wannabe-spammer conmen doing it, do we need police doing it too? And don't get me started on monopoly strong-arming either. ; p

On the other hand, I have no problem with lawful search and seizures by legitimate authority. Innocent until proven guilty, authorized warrants, etc and due process and justice (informed of rights, right to a fair and speedy trial, right to an attorney). But I think the right to privacy should be respected. Maybe we buy a liscense to use commercial software, but when we buy a computer, we OWN it, and we can do what we like with it.

There is a big difference between having reasonable suspcion that somebody is breaking the law, obtaining a warrant, and aquiring evidence, and simply spying on EVERYONE as if they were already considered guilty.

Give people a chance to be informed and make their own choices, I say.

My 2 cents...

Kurgan

--------------------

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty

decreases." - Thomas Jefferson

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,

deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your

right to say it" - Voltaire

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Kurgan ]

Just scanning though the draft bill, it really does look like it goes too far. Normally a warrant is required to search through one's file cabinets to see if you have any illegal documents or possessions. But not under this bill...

I wonder if this bill became law it could even be considered constitutional (either at the federal or state levels).

Imagine if congress passed a law that said, 'all telephones must have listening devices installed. Any attempts to removed them are illegal and punishable by fine.'

I don't live in the US (uk before u ask) but that fickin ridiculous! if they doen that then 50% of people qould get nicked for having copies! i strongly disagree! i mean it's bad enough but police watching ur everymove is bad... Very Bad. I mean if every house had 1 of these i would be uneasy knowing that i was being monitored. Big Brother was based on the book nineteen eighty four where the cameras where everywhere and u were always being watched no matter what! If this happened then what would happen if u put in a disk that u thought was real but acutally a pirate! u'd get ****ed for the wrong reason!

Guest Rogue15

sounds like a good bill to me! :D

I'd prefer to be watched very closely, that way, if anyone tried to do anything wrong to me, they'd be screwed!

<hr>

LOL if copys of OS's were realesed with it, it would take long for some hacker with nothin ta do to remove it...... jus like with cd checks. + wouldn't it make every OS illgeal? dos 1-6.22 WinBlows 1.0-5.1, Linux Unix, Mac OS, OS/2warp, and everyother OS....... oh and for all u people that don't know what windows 5.1 is, its windows XP 5.0 is 2k XP is nothin but a upgrade to NT not a serious upgrade either, to desginate a new number eg 6.

oh and another thing, how would this policeware contact the police if theres no internetconnection on the computer... or better yet jus no modem of anysort.

<hr>

<marquee> :cool::cool::cool: </marquee>

<hr>

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Red_XIIII ]

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: Red_XIIII ]

Not very. If a law like this was passed, the government would presumably force the ISP's to verify that their customers are using OS's employing the policeware. Depending on how the policeware is implemented, there could be ways for some people to slip through the cracks, but I'd expect it to be very effective for the most part.

Just to set the record straight, I'm against pirated copies of anything. If you own something and keep a backup copy (or copies) for your own personal peace of mind, that's fine by me. However, I can't really agree with just copying and distributing stuff all over the place. I don't think that's really fair on the originators of the work.

So I can understand where the idea for such a bill might come from. The reason why I'm against it (and I live in the UK) is because it would restrict the freedom of the many to catch the few. And if such a law was passed, it opens the door for others of a similar nature.

Just IMO. ;-)

This is why I like games for download:

I enjoyed playing tachyon: the fringe, which I own legally, however, my CD was scratched, undoubtably the result of an action taken by one of my siblings. What am I to do? Buy a new copy, no...that's a waste of cash. I wish I had backed it up, but...

Well, in that situation I'd check with the publisher or something - sometimes they are willing to send out a replacement CD if you have proof of purchase. I know not all of them do that, though, and it is a problem. I've got a couple of scratched (unrecoverable) disks myself.

Of course, I've had my fingers burned too many times not to back my stuff up on a fairly regular basis. For the price of a CD stack, I know I won't have to shell out if an older game CD get's scratched or misplaced. New CDs with copy protection are a different matter. Of course, friends who borrow games to try out and don't return them are another problem entirely... :(

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: StormHammer ]

why is it that the police (whome we, the common person, support, pay their salaries, and hire them to protect us) are always finding a way to look bad in the public eye... why do they feel that they dont owe us anything, and their only purpose is to control us? why does the government feel that we (people who are no better, nor worse than they are) are too stupid to take care of ourselves... that we are all self-distructive... that we cannot find our asses with both hands... why is it that the people we elect and hire seem to turn against us?!?!?! i wanna know if it is something in the water in Washington DC, or what.....

[/rant]

whew, im dont now... :D

Archived