Home

The Dig Review

Schmatz

The Dig is a game based on a story by Steven Speilburg. Instead of being a movie, The Dig was made into a game by his friend, George Lucas, and his company o' geniuses, Lucasarts, to make Spielburg's story come alive. Featuring Hand-drawn scenery, and realistic movement, The Dig is truely one of the great Lucasarts games.

The story is of a commander named Boston Low, with his crew, Ludger Brink and Maggie Robins, who accidently end up on an alien planet named Cocytus. They go through many dilemmas while they are there, trying to figure out why they were brought there, and what they are supposed to do. They keep seeing this blasts of light, but they are unsure if they are only a reaction between the planet's atmosphere and electricity, or a spirit trying to tell them something...

Graphics: Some of the best ever. With Realistic moving effects, especially turning around, where, unlike many other games, the game actually shows the action of stepping foot over foot to turn around. Not to mention amazing scenery. Rating: 9.0

Sound: The Dig's soundtrack was released by Lucasarts officially because it was so great. Using orchestra music for The Dig Music, all the music matches every area. There's absolutely no doubt it is the best music of any Lucasarts game. Rating: 10.0

Storyline: The story of The Dig is a fantastic one, but kind of cliche. The idea of aliens and other dimension and stuff is fantastic, but just the idea of going to an alien planet is founded in many other products, such as movies and other games. The only difference is that majority of the creatures in the game are not hostile. Rating: 7.5

Gameplay: Very simple gameplay, meant for people new to games, and not sure how to use a lot of buttons such as in First Person Shooters. It uses the mouse to click on what you need to look at, etc., and an inventory screen, that can be accessed multiple ways. It can be difficult at some times to find your way around, since the world is gigantic, but one can get used to it and learn their way around quite easily. Rating: 8

Final Rating: 8.63

If I can get pictures uploaded sometime soon, I will edit the message so I can add them.

What about the puzzles?

I didnt like them at all. Most of them were "conbination puzzles" in wich you had to press some buttons in the correct order or match strange figures. Im not saying its a bad game, I just dont like it as much as the other LucasArts games.

You didn't mention the voice acting persoaly I don't think its the best in the world. Better then Indy and the Last Crusade but not nearly as good as Full Throttle (witch came out the same year).

I never realy liked the dig the puzles felt to Mysty and tedious but the story rocked and the consept was cool but the puzzles realy kept me from enjoying it.

Originally posted by The Adventurer

You didn't mention the voice acting persoaly I don't think its the best in the world. Better then Indy and the Last Crusade but not nearly as good as Full Throttle (witch came out the same year).

I never realy liked the dig the puzles felt to Mysty and tedious but the story rocked and the consept was cool but the puzzles realy kept me from enjoying it.

You are correct. I goofed I ment to say Indy and the Fate of Atlantise. Sorry about that.

Huh? You made a Dig review as well? ANyways, about these hear voices... The voices were quite well I think. No, they don't even compare to Full Throttle, but they matched the character, so, honestly, I think that's all that mattered. Except I don't really think that was the best choice for the voice of Maggie. Anyways, with the addition of puzzles and voices, the rating will not be changed. They basically even out anyways.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived