Home

The worst Adventurer Game you've ever played

The Adventurer

For me its...

Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch (So strait forword its frightning)

Kings Quest VI (Any game were you can get stuck sucks)

Space Quest IV (I swear this game is un winable, you get killed ever 2 steps you take)

Myst (Must I explain? Any game that if you can beat in 2 mins. is a bad game)

The Dig (To many combination Puzzles for my tastes, nice story though)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Schmatz

Myst, Riven, and Exile were horrible. Will someone finally close those damn portal books so the story can end???

I think you're a little hard on MYST and RiVeN... (but to each their own) ...however: myst: EXILE was a poor game.

At least the first two games followed some pattern of linear-logic.

I struggled in one age of EXILE for 40 days and finally broke down and went to a walkthrough. The answers to the puzzles made NO SENSE. I spent another day trying to figure out how anyone could arrive at those answers. I thought I was crazy. But, after my best examination, I have concluded that there was no logic to them at all. FRUSTRATING!! Over-all, the game had a good story, but felt thrown together, puzzle-wise.

The second-worst game was Dracula:Sancuary ...great graphics, poor story, simple puzzles, no challenge at all.

I suppose... but I like'd the journey project story A LOT better. Myst had a strange story with the brothers, and Riven is, well, Riven. Now that I think about it, I liked Riven a lot. But, in all three, the puzzles were hard. But I do agree that in Exile the puzzles were absolutely retarded. I should beat it now so I can uninstall it. I'm near the end, that's all I know. (By the way, I got past the first two ages before using a walkthrough, then I was forced to due to the games' twisted pointless story and plot. But, in all three, the graphics were totally awesome.

What do you think of realMyst? I played the demo of it and I enjoyed it a lot. Would you get it? If I had a better computer, I would, but it took like 20 minutes to load on my computer, and moved really slow.

Starship Titanic was really bad. I don't remember that much about the puzzles but the communication system didn't work at all. After a few minutes of the characters squawking "You wot, you wot, you wot?!" and "Are you from the planet Gibber? Because our translators have a lot of trouble with Gibberish," over and over, you develop the urge to sharpen a pencil and jam it in your eye. The only good thing about the game was John Cleese as the voice of a timebomb, put he wasn't involved in any of the puzzles, he didn't explode, he was totally there just for the sake of having John Cleese do a voice for the game (kind of like Brando in that Michael Jackson video). Anyway, that's my pick for the worst game, but I liked Exile, so what do I know :) ?

The Myst series for a start - the term "atmospheric adventure game" which was created soley for the use on Myst boxes was just a load of dingo's kidneys and one big lie. The main reason that anyone bought the myst games for were the graphics, they look stunning, but it's exceptionally easy to make beautiful pre-rendered scenes. Any actual gameplay or innovation past a few mind numbingly irrelevant puzzles seems to be beyond the developer's capabilities.

"style over substance" seems to have been the watch-word throughout all of the games. The fact that the first Myst was re-released not once, but twice with different graphics is plain inexcusable, and proves my point up to the hilt.

ProfessorYoda

The only good thing about the game was John Cleese as the voice of a timebomb, put he wasn't involved in any of the puzzles, he didn't explode, he was totally there just for the sake of having John Cleese do a voice for the game

Actually, if you set off the bomb and then complete the game the entire ship is blown up. Also, for some reason, John Cleese is not listed in the cast of starship titanic despite the fact that itt is quite obviously him - strange but true

Actually, if you set off the bomb and then complete the game the entire ship is blown up. Also, for some reason, John Cleese is not listed in the cast of starship titanic despite the fact that itt is quite obviously him - strange but true [/b]

Ok, here's the story on that long long tail :)

As everybody knows, The Parrot is voiced by Terry Jones, another pythoner.

The Bomb was credited to someone known as 'Kim Bread', but Douglas has himself personally denied that was Cleese several times. A lot of sites list "John Cleese (under the pseudonym of Kim Bread)" however. Even IMDB believes this. However there has never been any official confirmation. I honestly do not know why he would have used a Pseudonym and then asked Douglas to hide it... So I still take this story with a very large grain of salt.

The resemblence is uncanny tho.

I bought some adventure game at BestBuy because it was only $10 but I quit playing because the people never moved their mouths while they talked and I lost the game within the first five minutes because I did something wrong with a stick, a cabbage, and a donkey. I don't have a lot of patience for those types of games.

Originally posted by Gabez

I just read loads of reviews before buying games, so I rarely find myself playing a real stinker.

Yeah, the lesson I learned from Starship Titanic was to never trust game reviewers from major syndicated newspapers -- they don't care about games and probably just have the editor's niece or somebody equally knowledgeable review them.

Then again, there are the people at JA+ who don't read the instruction manual before reviewing games :rolleyes: .

I'm sorry to say that almost all Sierra games were horrible. I know it's just a matter of taste, though. The only Sierra games I enjoyed were the Larry series. I think Gabriel Knight 2 had the worst acting I've ever seen in a FMV game.

I've also attempted to play a game called 'The Crystal Key' and luckily for me I won this game on AdventureGamer and didn't bought it in a store because, wow... Only three, maybe four screens before I decided to quit and uninstall.

--Erwin

I'd say it would have to be Space Quest 6 for me. Bad music, bad animation, poor voice acting, and the design was really just awful. I understand that the project leader had to leave half way through the project, and I do respect the Space Quest series, but this one was awful.

I also didn't like these adventure games even though they had some good elements: The Dig, Escape From Monkey Island, Toonstruk, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (if this counts as an adventure game), and to a lesser extent, Sam and Max Hit The Road. And I suppose I should add Gilbert Goodmate... even though I was a beta tester and did enjoy this game, there were many flaws.

Originally posted by scabb

:D

Gilbert Goodmate had bad puzzle structure

I certainly would have designed the puzzle structure differently. The problem with a lot of adventure games is that they have weird item combinations that don't make logical sense. For example: the salesman who wants to write up a contract so he needs a piece of paper. Why is it that only one piece of paper in the entire town can be used to make the contract? A designer should anticipate such things and design the puzzles with this in mind. LucasArts usually does a good job of this. If LucasArts had a puzzle similar to this, they would have the characters give reasons as to why other paper won't work for the contract, and provide hints as to what kind of paper is needed.

Still, Gilbert is a good challenging game with an old-fashion feel to it. I'd still suggest it to hard core 2d adventure gamers, just as long as the don't expect the quality of a game like The Curse of Monkey Island. :)

the puzzles were too hard for those games, but i think that the graphics are really nice to look at. Torin's Passage.. heh remember playing that, must find it in the mess of my room, probably in a pile of cd's about so high...

^

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

-

yes a pile that high, and about 4 of them!

Archived