Home

Favorite RPG

Schmatz

Well, since there have been a lot of threads about favorite games, I thought I'd start one nobody has talked about yet.

My favorite RPGs are:

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy III (Japan = 6)

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VIII

All the Zelda games (Zelda, Link, Link's Awakening, The SNES one (I Forgot!), Ocarina of TIme, Majaro's Mask(never played it though)

I haven't played them yet, but I think the Secret of Mana games are good, and I like Super Mario RPG :D

Originally posted by 1.21 Jigawatts?

I'm not a great fan of RPG's,

but I thought Shenmue was excellent + really intricate.

I'm getting Shenmue 2 for Xmas too.

I don't really count the shenmue games as RPGs because they don't actually fit into any proper category of game, But I they are my 2 favourite games ever, I've completed both of them so mail me if you get stuck on shenmue 2, it's really good!

Fallout 1 and 2

-definatly play these if you like rpgs that are set in a different setting then most others

planescape torment

-also a good rpg in a different setting

ff5,6,7

chrono trigger

and if they count, the zelda and diablo series

i like all these games, even though i havent beaten them all :D

Originally posted by JollyRoger

Fallout 1 and 2

-definatly play these if you like rpgs that are set in a different setting then most others

I haven't played Fallout 1 or 2, but I think it's pretty strange that an RPG is noteworthy because it takes place in a different setting from the majority of other RPGs. I mean, adventure games take place in lots of different settings. But the RPG formula doesn't lend itself to very many different kinds of themes, settings and plots.

For example, Grim Fandango's storyline wouldn't work for an RPG because, well, there's no excuse for Manny to have to battle enemies every corner he turns. What I'm saying is for a game to be an RPG, it needs a plot that allows the elements that makes a game an RPG, which limits the types of settings and stories you can have.

Another difference between RPGs and other adventures is that in adventures, to make the game harder the developers need to come up with harder puzzles, while in RPGs they just need to make harder enemies.

Still, RPGs can be very fun to play, but adventure games have more of what sets RPGs apart from action games. Interesting and diverse plots.

Originally posted by Trapezoid

for a game to be an RPG, it needs a plot that allows the elements that makes a game an RPG, which limits the types of settings and stories you can have.

i know what you mean, i do in a way, like adventures more then rpgs. I was just saying i dont always like the fairytale-type setting in most rpgs. But i think the setting that fallout is in is very appropriate for a rpg.

but i dont think making a game a rpg limits the story that much, in many games there are quests that you can choose to do in the process of the game, and many choices to change how the story develops.

i guess it could limit the setting a lot, good point

but the main reason why i said that is because fallout used a different setting then other rpgs, and it also worked well, and i personaly like the story

(sorry if ive said something stupid, i dont play rpgs much)

I think that Zelda is an RPG because there are othe characters that help you out, and there are sorta towns. Also, Link isn't really THE MAIN character... I mean Princess Zelda gets more important each game that's made. Plus, the whole getting new items/weapons etc. is part of thr RPG deal.

An RPG is a game where your character develops. Most of the time, it develops in the ways of skills and stats... In the Zelda games, you gain more hitpoints/magic points, and you find weapons and stuff.

Also, I think RPGs generally have an inventory system. That is, an inventory that doesn't just contain weapons.

Archived