Are you for, or against the Euro?

raVen_image

The new Euro  

24 members have voted

1. 1. The new Euro

• I'm for the Euro
    • I'm against the Euro
    • No Opinion

Sorry, it doesn't affect me directly, but I still have something to say about it. I do support it (although from afar...) and I'm glad to see that it didn't "flop" back when it was first introduced. I'm sure that the concept of universal currency has a long way to go before it reaches widespread acceptance in Europe, but on the other hand, it's been pretty well-received for such a potentially massive change in the EU economy.

Yeah I really can't say much now, but I might move to Europe when I'm done with college. I was over in Europe once for a vacation and I found it irritating that in London it was a pound for like a bottle of water, and in Rome 2000 lira... then France was some francs I forget. But having the universal type of currency would make trading and fincances between European countries much easier. That's why I voted for it.

in the short term i think it will be bad.....in the long term, who knows. Our government (UK) is still undecided. We will eventually have to use the currency, but we have a tendency to distance oursleves from the EU.

Personally I am against globalisation.

The Euro is a good thing. Paying with the same currency in a lot of countries is easy, and these countries will share the same strong currency on the international market. The only bad thing about the Euro is that our queen is on our national side of the coins...

Originally posted by Haggis

The only bad thing about the Euro is that our queen is on our national side of the coins...

Every participating country has their 'own side' on the coins. The other side looks the same in every country. This, however, will change in two years. Then coins are being made which will look the same in every country on both sides.

I'm not really against the Euro, but it's a fact that some countries are taking more advantage of it than others economy-wise.

--Erwin

Originally posted by Schmatz

Yeah I really can't say much now, but I might move to Europe when I'm done with college. I was over in Europe once for a vacation and I found it irritating that in London it was a pound for like a bottle of water, and in Rome 2000 lira... then France was some francs I forget. But having the universal type of currency would make trading and fincances between European countries much easier. That's why I voted for it.

It's a pound in London because we charge a damn lot to tourists! because you don't know the normal price for a bottle of water in england! come and stay in a place like basingstoke and it'll be a lot cheaper!

I wasn't sure about it before, but having travelled by car from Scotland to Slovenia during the summer, passing through France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxemburg, Germany and Austria, with day trips into Italy and Croatia, a single currency would have been pretty useful... And I might have had some clue as to how much I was actually paying for stuff.

Originally posted by Erwin_Br

I'm not really against the Euro, but it's a fact that some countries are taking more advantage of it than others economy-wise.

You are 100% right, and that's my only worry. But I am really looking forward to pay everywhere in Europe without changing my money, or having to keep up with the currency's.

E-commerce in Europe will also increase, although I still won't be dealing with this (once in a year I buy something at amazon.com, but that's it).

• 3 weeks later...

Are you all mad? The EURO is the scariest thing to come out of this whole United Europe so far.

I'm glad the UK isn't accepting it yet. We're just letting a load of frogs and foriegners run our country from the Hague as it is, and by accepting thier currency we'd be handing them our economy on a platter. Next it would be 'Europen standard Tax rates' and so on. The longer we go without the Euro the better. I'm proud of my country; I love my country. I do not want a load of foreigners trying to rob my of my sterling. I'm not racist, but the UK's matters should be dealt by UK residents, thats all.

Originally posted by LucasTones

Are you all mad? The EURO is the scariest thing to come out of this whole United Europe so far.

I'm glad the UK isn't accepting it yet. We're just letting a load of frogs and foriegners run our country from the Hague as it is, and by accepting thier currency we'd be handing them our economy on a platter. Next it would be 'Europen standard Tax rates' and so on. The longer we go without the Euro the better. I'm proud of my country; I love my country. I do not want a load of foreigners trying to rob my of my sterling. I'm not racist, but the UK's matters should be dealt by UK residents, thats all.

It's this kind of attitude that is preventing real diplomatic progress.

Archived