Home

LucasArts Movie

elTee

Ok, if you had to pick ONE LucasArts game to be made into a movie, or to base a movie on, which would it be and WHY?

I reckon Day of the Tentacle. Its so funny, and it would be easier to film than many of the others cos real actors could be used and we wouldnt moan that they didn't look or sound right. That whole scene with the IRS was fantastic, so was the whole george Washington thing. That said, I really loved the bit where...(etc etc etc ad infinitum)

It'd be cool, but no-one really knows about it - it was never thier most popular game. I mean, I love it, so do a lot of you, but if you saw a trailer how many people would jump up and say 'Cool! I always wanted them to do this one!'?

Might? Oh no they are... I hope they die...

You make a Monkey Island movie, you'll get the girl from titanic as Elaine and some goon (Brad Pitt, Decraprio, that anakin skywalker baby) to be Guybrush... and then everyone would be mad, etc.

I think they should make a movie out of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. It's gotta be the easiest to make a movie on :rolleyes::D:D:D :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Meksilon

NOW you're talking! Excepet I think I should make it so it's olny based on the fisrt 2 games!

=mek=

I think everyone's getting fed up with your hatred for CMI/EMI.

So stuff it.

But a MI movie would be great.

Yeah, that's unconditional hatred if I've ever seen it.

But I think Monkey Island would make a cool movie or two. But I agree, only the first two games. Why? I don't know, I love CMI and EMI, but the first two games are just more in a movie type format. Plus there hasn't been a good pirate movie in a while.

Grim Fandango would make a cool 3D film.

And I think the Sam & Max franchise should grace the silver screen. It would probably work best as an animated film, but I love the idea of a couple of comedians with minimalistic make up jobs playing Sam and Max. LOTR Hobbit technology could be used to make Max look shorter. I don't know who could play the freelance police though. Any idea?

About a Monkey Island movie - unfortunately, the number of people who would treat this like the rest of the world treats Star Wars is in its thousands. Based on this, any movie makers would have to look back to the most recent pirate film - Cutthroat Island - a flop. Maybe thats what you meant trap?

In the movie industry the pirate theme is rather overlooked. Hollywood is often said to have run out of ideas, and while making a decade-old game isn't a fresh new thing, the pirate genre is just largely untapped and unexplored. Since so few people are familliar with the game, it would be presented as a movie, not an adaptation.

I love Hook too. It reminds me a lot of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. (NOT SORCERERS STONE)

All I'm saying is that I doubt Monkey Island will be made into a movie of any form because (a) its established fan base is too small, and (b) all the evidence from other Pirate movies is that there is no money to be made in them. I agree, however, that it is an untapped market, and maybe a well made pirate film which grosses well could generate new interest in the subject, and then the possibility of a Monkey Island film would be a lot greater.

I don't want you all to think I don't want there to be a Monkey Island film; I really do, but I think that there are too many people who could screw it up. For example; Spielbergs version of Harry Potter was to make one 2 hour movie based on the first two books. Fans would have hated this, and as a result a new director was chosen. If it were Monkey Island though, the concentration would not have been on the existing fans, but trying to get new ones. If we apply this to the Harry Potter example, then Spielberg would have made it, and then the fans would have hated the film, however much everyone else liked it. As we are the Monkey Island fans, we have to say that we would rather have no movie than a bad movie.

Oh and schmatz - something amazing has happened! Look, whilst we were all talking, George Lucas came across your message, and using his time machine - well, see for yourself: http://www.indianajones.com/chapter25.html - maybe you'll be able to take credit for this now?

i can see a movie for 'the secret of monkey island' working....very, very well. it just has to be worked out VERY carefully, and we need to not be so damn nit-picky (but i guess the critics will never stop). i think playing off the story of MI1 *ALONE* would actually work out nicely. as long as they promise to not make any more ever, ever, ever again. the thought of a sequel would be horrific, because it means one thing - nothing comes in pairs anymore, especially movies. they're ALL trilogies, kids. i can't quite picture a successful trilogy, as i fear adapting any of the other MI stories into movie form. and they won't make a completely new story, cuz that would be too awkward. know what i mean? with careful planning, casting, scripting, and plenty pieces'o'eight, i'd be excited to see a SMI movie. my #1 suggestion: cast a nobody actor to play guybrush. NO top-line celebrity, not even a familiar name. just a new comer or underdog. :)

Archived