Home

Explorer always crashing

Burge

I'm not sure if post this on the tech board, but here goes. Whenever I boot up the game, I will always get brought back to the desktop with an error message telling me that Windows Explorer has crashed. Now this happens every time I play, without fail. I'm running Win 2K with the v1.1 patch installed. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone else? Thanks.

Burge.

Guest IdLe_WorkeR

Could you give us some of the other specs of your system? Primarily, memory size, but other specs helpful too.

I'm on Win98se still (wait til next week, then XP :-))) ) but when I had the game crashing to desk top, and random explorer crashes, 'twas very bad news. I had many more problems than you relate. Fortunately replacing a memory module solved all problems.

Checking for a bad memory module is very easy, if you'd like to try it. Download a program from here and run test from a boot floppy as described.

Also, do the following:

1. From the "start" menu, select Windows Update and update all the relevant packages from Microsoft.

2. Find out (control panel --> system) what kind of video card you have, go to the company's web site, and download the most recent drivers, if any, for Windows 2000.

3. Find out (control panel --> system) what kind of sound card you have, and go to their website, and donwload and install the most recent drivers, if any, for Windows 2000.

The most common reason for crashes to desktop in windows-based games is a lack of the most recent drivers or incompatible hardware drivers. Doing these updates should get you where you need to be. If it still crashes, then there is some other problem. But let's hope one of those things fixes it.

May the Force be with you.

Archived