Home

What to do with the lightsaber?

Wilhuf

Compared to the original JK Lightsaber, the JO lightsaber damage needs to be:  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Compared to the original JK Lightsaber, the JO lightsaber damage needs to be:

• Much stronger
    • Somewhat stronger
    • The same
    • Somewhat weaker
    • Much weaker

I think it would be quite un-fun to be hit once by a sabre and have to respawn in multiplayer. That being said, I would like to see the thing take out enemies in SP in like two hits. If a stormie were to be hit by a sabre in the arm, that thing should come flying off. So basically; the same for multiplayer but stronger for single player.

Are we saying that one rail detonator charge should kill you? (Being an explosive after all).

Are we saying that one bryar pistol shot should kill you?

(When you don't have shields)

Yeah, a saber can cut through anything (cept cortosis ore or whatever it's called), but still, let's say someone lands a shot, what are the chances that it's going to go all the way through unless it's a perfect land? Turning, parrying, all those sorts of things might just cause nicks and cuts and really painful holes, but in gameland, it takes more than that to bring a six-year-old down! Decapitations are another thing. But I'm glad that not every swing is a decapitation.

Plus, what about the personal shields? Shouldn't shields block a bit of it? Shields are magnetic fields, and Sabers can't cut through magnetically sealed objects (Thrawn Trilogy). Plus, did anybody see Obi-wan and Qui-Gon cutting through the shields on the destroyer droids? I think not.

I liked it in JK. If you had full health & full shields, you could last for one more blow. If you didn't, chances were you were going to die. And that was with the slower harder slash. The normal slash might only spill some minor organs out, and didn't hurt as much.

Keep it rockin the way it rocked.

--The Mighty Pants.

i think the damage from JK1 was perfect. the big swing did the massive damage it deserved, but not a 1 hit kill.

and as for the 'real-life' saber damage..

i dont think talking about the 'realism' of a game set within the star wars universe is... well...healthy.

I voted Much Stronger. I think in multi-player it would be fine, because of the GHOUL2 system. If you hit someone in the arm, it sure isn't going to kill them. But if you land a hit in the head or torso, he should be dead unless he's got lots of shields.

Yes, I think the damage needs to be ramped up a bit...but I wouldn't want the saber fights to be over too quickly. As ed said, with GHOUL2's hit zones, the level of damage should be dependent on the region of the body hit. Strikes to the head and other vital organs should have the most damage anyway....maybe 1-2 blows in those areas means death. Of course, those areas should be the hardest to hit...

Even without the StarcWars considerations, the amage needs to be ramped up considerably. Once you drop a weapon's range to virtually zero, the damage needs to be immense.

And while a 100% accurate simulation of the films is overkill, keeping the feel of them is very important. In the films, sabres dropped anything almost instantly. They didn't kill the droidekas because they weren't close enough.

It simply felt very, very wrong in the original. Faster strokes might help solve that, though.

I think if there was awesome blocking like in the movies, then any saber hit on less it was maybe it was the saber burning you, but not slicing. If it was like the movies it'd be perfect, would kill them with a slash and the only thing is to block. Jedi Knight had barely any blocking that's why I didn't like it and how can one slash do less damage than another? If it's just hit you die, block you live, it'd be good, but advanced blocking more.

probably should depend how the blocking is..

if they can sit there and block 90% of every swing with ease, then damage should be brought up. If blocking only deflects about 75% of the swing, then it ought to be the same. Headshots(assuming they're low on shields) are probably the only thing that should be 1 hit kills(well if you cut them in half, Obi-wan vs Darth Maul style, that oughta be a 1 hit kill :p ).

Originally posted by SaberPro

I still think:

1 slash = 1 kill or a dead limp

1 stab = 1 kill

1 poke = 1 kill

1 throw = 1 kill

Isn't that what Lightsabers suppose to do?

Yeah, that's what they do. If a lightsaber sliced through your stomach you'd get cut in half and die.

However, it would be too easy to beat a boss if this was how it worked.

It would be cool in multiplayer as an additional game-mode though, like the "license to kill"-mode in the Goldeneye game.

Hits in vital areas ought to be instant kills, unless they've got shields and thats a different story... I'd probably keep the same figures on how much it reduces shields unless blocking presents a massive obstacle in getting hits(ie, can some guy just stand there blocking successfully 90% of the time..

Originally posted by Skyrunner

Yeah, that's what they do. If a lightsaber sliced through your stomach you'd get cut in half and die.

However, it would be too easy to beat a boss if this was how it worked.

It would be cool in multiplayer as an additional game-mode though, like the "license to kill"-mode in the Goldeneye game.

HAHAHAH License to Kill mode!! :lol:

I still remember sitting beside my sister, trying to slapper each other to death under License to Kill mode :lol:

Remember in Empire Strikes Back? Vader was hit more than once with the lightsaber, but he almost received no damage..he just moaned...maybe that's how the boss is going to be.

Yes Vader almost took no damage, but Vader also wears a protective suit.

I hope in JK2 you can survive a slice to the side of your arm, but I really want one hit kills if its a lethal blow to the head or heart.

1 hit kills wouldn't be bad in IMO if the lightsaber blocking is as good as im hoping. In other words I hope that lightsaber duels are full of skill. It would be weak if any newbie could come in and swing the saber around and kill skilled players. And if the saber will be skill based, 1 hit kills wouldn't be frequent anyway. Unless you were skillful...:)

Originally posted by SlowbieOne

Yes Vader almost took no damage, but Vader also wears a protective suit.

I hope in JK2 you can survive a slice to the side of your arm, but I really want one hit kills if its a lethal blow to the head or heart.

1 hit kills wouldn't be bad in IMO if the lightsaber blocking is as good as im hoping. In other words I hope that lightsaber duels are full of skill. It would be weak if any newbie could come in and swing the saber around and kill skilled players. And if the saber will be skill based, 1 hit kills wouldn't be frequent anyway. Unless you were skillful...:)

Ooh yeaaah...I forgot about that protective suit....

Remember JKII has location-based damage system? Maybe you CAN have a limp or a broken leg or something nice like that...

I think death should almost be instant. At most take 2 hits, but definitely one hit kills if there's head shot without shields, and this goes for bosses as well.

That said, i think they should ramp up the autoblocking, so there'll be a lot more parrying before you get in that lucky swing. I seriously don't want to run around trading slashes with the boss and wondering how many blows it take to kill the guy. If I hit him on the chest, he should drop. But it should be very difficult to hit each other due to autoblock. At least, that is my hope.

I think blocking should use a seperate meter than your force gauge. If it ran out quicker, you could make dramatic moments in the game where the defender wall jumps out of the way of the attacker and jumps to safety to recharge that meter. Also, dont think a jedi should be able to continuously attack for an infinate amount of time. He should have a stamina meter of some sorts that eventually runs out and he has to recharge. Would be quite a show to see 2 duelers pacing around each other and a Sith charging in for an attack.

Ok, enough posting for one day. I think I'll get some sleep. Heh.

It's a lightsaber for crying out loud!

In the Interview today it talked about how Dark Jedi in SP would be challenging because of blocking, parrying, wall jumps, aggressiveness, force powers, etc. No where in there did it say bosses would be harder because of a lot of life. I am confident that autoblocking will be huge and it will be nearly impossible to hit a skilled player in the game. This said, that one lucky chance to strike should equal death to the player who made the mistake.

Originally posted by Dirth Vedar

I think death should almost be instant. At most take 2 hits, but definitely one hit kills if there's head shot without shields, and this goes for bosses as well.

That said, i think they should ramp up the autoblocking, so there'll be a lot more parrying before you get in that lucky swing. I seriously don't want to run around trading slashes with the boss and wondering how many blows it take to kill the guy. If I hit him on the chest, he should drop. But it should be very difficult to hit each other due to autoblock. At least, that is my hope.

Speaking of headshots, will there be gore and blood in JK2? Say you sliced someone's head off with your lightsaber, will the graphics look like Soldier of Fortune (very, very, very bloody)? Or a content control would be nice...(no blood --- body parts --- gore --- bloody hell) something like that...

I hope the blocking of blaster shots depend on how much force power you have left...or something else like that...I personally don't like auto-blocking because sometimes you missed a shot and you get all depressed from it...

Archived