Home

First LEC adventure experience...

Metallus

When was the first time you played an LEC adventure and what was it?

I'll disclude playing Maniac Mansion for NES when I was 6, because it was only for 5 minutes and it scared the crap out of me ;). Here's my story...

I was first consciously introduced to LEC adventure gaming on Christmas of 1994 (possibly 1995), when my sister got me some CD pack of like 10 PC game trials. One of the CDs had the demo for Star Wars: Dark Forces, as well as one for some game called Full Throttle.

I was familiar with LucasArts already from playing X-Wing nonstop at my friends house :). Dark Forces made sense to me, since it was Star Wars, and it seemed appropriate for Lucas's gaming company. This motorcycle game, on the other hand, puzzled me to no end when I first tried it. There was no Empire, no AT-ATs, let alone Jedi or starships of any kind. It was made up of puzzles, had very deep character development, as well as lots of dialogue and great music, and I couldn't stop playing it!

After the Full Throttle demo had been played through about 20 times, I decided to get the full version. I was hooked by that point. I invested in the majority of the other LEC adventures.

I played MI1 when it first was released in '90 on my Amiga500, but if that was the first LEC game I played or not, I don't remember. I think the thing that struck me the most was the kick-ass theme - it actually still gives me goose-bumps.

Oh man, my first time playing MI1 blew me away. It was so far ahead of its time. I mean, I played it for the first time in 1997 (I got MI1 and 2 in the LEC archives volume 3). Unlike many people here, Monkey Island was one of the last LEC adventure games that I got to. I'd already played FT, Sam and Max, and some others as well. The music in Monkey Island was/is just amazing.

I think every Christmas from 1995-2000 I've gotten an LEC adventure or pack of adventures as a gift. 1997-1999 was the Golden age for me. I got LEC archives 3 in '97, which had The Dig, Full Throttle (another copy for me yay!), MI1+2, Dark Forces (full version), and Afterlife. In 1998 I got Jedi Knight/MoTS and Grim Fandango. In 1999 I got CMI.

Good times.

My first LEC experience was with MI1. A friend showed it to me on his Amiga 500, in the early 90s sometime. He'd managed to get up to where the governor is kidnapped, then he got stuck. He showed me how to do a few of the starting puzzles to get me started, then lent the game to me.

I was hooked! The feeling when I completed Part One and passed into unknown territory was far too good. Up until then I had preferred text adventures, but adding the excellent graphics and sound obviously added a whole new dimension. :)

And I've bought all the LucasArts adventures I could lay my grubby hands on ever since...

Originally posted by Huz

My first LEC experience was with MI1. A friend showed it to me on his Amiga 500, in the early 90s sometime. He'd managed to get up to where the governor is kidnapped, then he got stuck. He showed me how to do a few of the starting puzzles to get me started, then lent the game to me.

I was hooked! The feeling when I completed Part One and passed into unknown territory was far too good. Up until then I had preferred text adventures, but adding the excellent graphics and sound obviously added a whole new dimension. :)

And I've bought all the LucasArts adventures I could lay my grubby hands on ever since...

Of course, I seem to remember we both got our MI1 from the same distributor. :)

The first time I laid hands on anything LuasArts I was 12, and didn't have enough English or desire to play the pirated copies of DoTT and MI2 I had. About a year later, I played through DoTT mostly using a walkthrough, then, shortly after, MI2, mostlyusing a walkthrough. Then I got my hands on SoMI, and almost didn't use a walkthrough, and I've been hooked since.

It was really great replaying some of this later to discover just how many jokes I didn't understand.

I think i played Monkey Island first, borrowed from a friend, and then i bought the bounty pack years ago. but subsiquently got SnM and then Dott, then The dig and FT, and then the 2 Indy games. Then Grim F and EMI, which sucked, all i need is Maniac Mansion to finish the set :(

I might've been around 6 or so, sitting next to my brother, who played all of the oldie adventures. In the time we had all pirated copies of as well lec games as sierra and some others (delphine, etc). Well at the time I never was aware of which was LEC's and which was for example Sierra. I knew the different style but didn't think about it that much. One thing I did know; i hated being able to die in some of the games. Of course I'm referring to the Quest series of Sierra now hehe. Tho I think those are also brilliant games :D

Anyway the first LEC game I played sitting next to my brother must've been MI1 as a pirated copy for the PC..

thank god my oldest brother had friends who had pirated copies of all of those games..otherwise I maybe never would've gotten into LucasArts. I now strive to get all games original. And I'm succeeding pretty well in that :D

My first LEC game was actually Zak McKracken, on a friends Amiga. However, I didn't know it was anything special, and he alwasy used to pull the mouse cord out so I never got far.

Conciously, it was the Secret of Monkey Island, circa 1993. My dad had just bought a PC (he pre-ordered his first game; it arrived before the PC did. It was Sam & Max, and I still have it to this day.) He wouldn't let me play Sam n Max, but one day I copied what I had seen him do: 'dir/games'. It came up with 5 games. The last on the list was 'monkey'. I tried it, and I was hooked. Later on, I remembered the old amiga game, and assumed it was a sierra game. i found out otherwise about a year ago.

Originally posted by LucasTones

My first LEC game was actually Zak McKracken, on a friends Amiga. However, I didn't know it was anything special, and he alwasy used to pull the mouse cord out so I never got far.

Hehe, exactly the same story here, except I can't remember my friend ever pulling the mouse cord. :)

I consider my first real LEC adventure game expreience the time when I played Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis at the end of an English class on the teacher's computer. I'll never forgive my parents for not getting me a computer when I was a kid, because this happened as late as 1994 - when I was already 14. But even then I didn't consciously know that I was playing a LucasArts game (or didn't pay attention to that) but the game completely hooked me even though I probably didn't get to play it for more than 20 minutes! When I finally got me a computer (in 1997) LucasArts Archives Vol I was one of the first games / sets of games I bought. And now I'm an incurable LEC addict who doesn't want to be cured. Need....New.....ADVENTURES. :)

I think I got my first computer around '96 or '97, and a few months later, I got a demo cd full of stuff, including Sam&Max.

My first ever LEC adventure game experience was quite possibly the Sam&Max demo, or CMI which I got for christmas '97 when it was released.

I've seen some LucasArts volume pack in a store nearby, might as well go out and buy it. :)

I think the first Lucasarts game was when my Dad's company finally gave us a CD-ROM (like 1993-94) and my dad loves testing stuff so he bought a whole bunch of game packs. Luckily, one of them was Lucasarts Mac Game Pack 1. It came with Loom, Pipe Dream, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and The Secret of Monkey Island. I think I played Pipe Dream first and got sick instantly, because it was such an annoying game. Then, I think I tried Indiana Jones, because the name was familiar, but it was too hard for the first adventure I had ever played, plus I could die. So then I went to Monkey Island (most likely with a walkthrough) and beat it. I didn't really get hooked, because we had all these demos, but then I moved onto Indy and then Loom, but I never got to beat Loom :( I still haven't. Then, maybe a year or two later, I got the Lucasarts Mac Game Pack 2 with The Secret of Monkey Island, MI2: LeChuck's Revenge, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.That's whenI really got hooked, and went LEC crazy. I got Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max instantly, and had like Rebel Acssault 1 and 2, and X-Wing, etc. Then, Full Throttle came out for PC, but it took a 1/2 a year to a year for it to come out for Mac, then same with the Dig. But, I still managed to get them. Then I finally got a PC and got them all for PC :D. And here I am...

I've just remembered that my first LEC game was also Zak McKracken. One of my childhood friends was playing it once wen i went to his house and i remember him using a broom alien to sweep up mars.

it was just the kind of crazy scenario to appeal to my warped sense of reality.

All I really remembered of it was that my mate got off a plane and took a photo of a two headed squirrel. I thought that was the end of the game. Later, in my increased wisdom, I thought that a reporter and 2 headed squirrels seemed Sierra territory. I did actually know, then, that Zak was about a reporter too. It didn't click... I guess its cos I also knew Zak went to Mars, and I thought the 'Sierra game' ended with the squirrel. I only found out the truth when I played Zak, and in the intro his boss tells him to go to Seattle and photo a two headed squirrel. I said 'squirrel' 5 times in this post. Whoops...

In 1994, when I was about 10 years old, a friend let me borrow a collection of adventure games titled "LucasArts Classic Adventures". Maniac Mansion, Loom, Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and The Secret of Monkey Island.

I started SMI on my friend's comp at her house, with those wrteched internal speakers. I've been lucky because my dad and I are both computer addicts, so we usually had the best quality computer accessories. We had some amazing SB soundsystem, so that intensified the gameplay, which probably aided in my getting hooked on SMI. I played and completed Indy shortly after, as I am a huge fan of the movie trilogy. The other games took me months, if not a year, to complete, amongst my replaying of SMI continuously.

The magic and mystery got me hooked on SMI, and in '95, dad got me the "LucasArts Archives" for my birthday (Sam'n'Max, Indy: FOA, DOTT, various Star Wars games and demos). MI2 came on my 12th birthday ('96). then I got CMI shortly after its release, and EMI on almost immediate arrival (which came with GF).

::sigh:: Now look what u've made me do. I'm getting all nostalgic, and SMI hasn't worked on my computer for nearly 4 years, and so I haven't played in FAR TOO LONG. ::cries:: :( so wrong. so sad.

~Eva

Originally posted by Cookie3118

SMI hasn't worked on my computer for nearly 4 years, and so I haven't played in FAR TOO LONG. ::cries:: :( so wrong. so sad.

Buy it again, my friend, you know it's worth it - you DO!

Alternatively get the patch (i think there's one) for it and see if that works.

Archived