Home

It's true! Sniper Rifle = Disruptor

Scav

All suspicions//rumours have been confirmed. Our 'sniper rifle' is a disruptor. The main site has released it in their news.

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/html/weapons_index.html

Hover your mouse over the lowest picture, and you'll see a link to weapon_disruptor.html. Unfortunately, it's down at the moment.

[update: They have also added some news screenshots and some new concept art in the gallery]

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicely spotted, Scav. :)

We're starting to see more of the level design in all of these new screenshots...and it's just getting better and better. And is that chain lightning I see before me? You betcha!

Under the Concept Art section, there is now a Jedi Speed room...to go with the Jump room. I think this pretty much confirms that at least part of Yavin will be the Jedi Training area (similar to training areas in other games)...as we discussed a loooong time ago. ;)

I'd like to see the whole Jedi <i>praxeum</i>... All the artifacts, the Yavin jungle, Yavin itself looming in the distance.

Someone should make that a level and include the Exar Kun temple that Kyp Durron goes to, along with the Grand Temple. Ever better, it should be included as a level. Raven, PLEASE! :)

Thank you, Stormhammer. I was deliberately trying to find something good to post. :) Ehe.

<font color=cbcbff> Perhaps before Luke will commission Kyle as a Jedi again, they added a set of Jedi tests that Kyle must complete. It would also be a clever way for Raven to sneak training in the force powers into the early levels of the SP game.

Jedi Outcast serves literally, Obi.

Luke is all in favour of the natural way of training, where students spend a good portion of their lives learning why the leaf moves when you manipulate it with the force. If you've ever read Young Jedi Knights, you'll note the lack of official titles, other than Luke's own, as teacher. Even in New Jedi Order, there are no titles used. Kam Solusar is a teacher as well, but no one refers to him as such, like a Padawan to his Knight.

Kyle kinda skipped all that, missed every bit of the <i>educational</i> part of Jedi training; not to mention the whole evil Sith Lord thing. Luke has no real reason to bring him back into the fold. I suspect Kyle is a bit reluctant to take up with Luke anyway. He just doesn't seem to be the type that would go to the <i>praxeum</i>.

I believe he will just go, take the lightsaber from Luke and vanish on his adventure. It's entirely possible, however, that Luke suggests he practice a bit in the training rooms to tone up his skills; with appropriate warnings about the Dark Side.

Originally posted by SaberPro

Is it just me, or does the Disruptor looks a little too simple?

Hey SaberPro, welcome to the forums (I know it's you, mate).

In answer, I'd have to say that it looks better than any complicated thing with wires and tubing sticking out of it. Likely they try to make them as compact as possible while covering up wiring with armor to increase the longevity of the weapon.

Originally posted by Scav

Hey SaberPro, welcome to the forums (I know it's you, mate).

In answer, I'd have to say that it looks better than any complicated thing with wires and tubing sticking out of it. Likely they try to make them as compact as possible while covering up wiring with armor to increase the longevity of the weapon.

Sup Scav? Too bored...finals next week and I dont want to study :)

Well, what I meant is, how can a sniper rifle be so...short? and simple? Supposingly a sniper rifle should have a long barrel...and some powerful springing/electrical power to project the bullet/laser beam/nail/potato chips (I don't know that just came to me)...oh well it's just a comment..don't take it seriously :)

I noticed that too, Canoli. Vertex and dynamix lighting look really good in JKO.

[EDIT: Stop replying so fast, SaberPro! Anyway, have you seen the damage a D-88 blaster pistol (Han's blaster is one, I think) can do? Can blow a hole in a wall on medium power.

This is the future, and the beam is energy. You don't need muzzle velocity and you don't need muzzle length for extra accuracy. All you need is some form of particle emitter and a powerpack. :)]

I noticed that too, Canoli. Vertex and dynamix lighting look really good in JKO.

[EDIT: Stop replying so fast, SaberPro! Anyway, have you seen the damage a D-88 blaster pistol (Han's blaster is one, I think) can do? Can blow a hole in a wall on medium power.

This is the future, and the beam is energy. You don't need muzzle velocity and you don't need muzzle length for extra accuracy. All you need is some form of particle emitter and a powerpack. :)]

I know I know, remember, it's just a comment :)

Guns seemed so weak when they are too small...I don't know why. I guess size matters hehehe

Sup Scav? Too bored...finals next week and I dont want to study :)

Well, what I meant is, how can a sniper rifle be so...short? and simple? Supposingly a sniper rifle should have a long barrel...and some powerful springing/electrical power to project the bullet/laser beam/nail/potato chips (I don't know that just came to me)...oh well it's just a comment..don't take it seriously :)

Well, the answer to that is that it's not a sniper rifle. It's range is far too short for that. Instead, it's more of a conc rifle replacement, only that it's a short-range weapon (approx. 10 meters) with little to no splash damage.

Originally posted by Executor32

Well, the answer to that is that it's not a sniper rifle. It's range is far too short for that. Instead, it's more of a conc rifle replacement, only that it's a short-range weapon (approx. 10 meters) with little to no splash damage.

Wait a minute...isn't the above gun: Disruptor? or a Sniper Rifle? like it is described in the first post? Well it does has a scope...

I know I know, remember, it's just a comment :)

Guns seemed so weak when they are too small...I don't know why. I guess size matters hehehe

Do you read Tom Clancy? This woman named Mora Sullivan, a.k.a the Selkie, comments on Western civilization's love for spray and pray guns.

Mora Sullivan

She shook her head in disgust. Americans, she thought, are so obsessed with the size and power of their guns that they let it control them.

Indeed, a small calibre pistol in the hands of an expert is perferable to a machingun in the hands of a amateur. The Israeli secret police used the smallest commercially available rounds, and everyone knew THEY weren't to be messed around with...

Yup.

Yup.

Yeah I read Tom Clancy...some of his books.

So it depends who the real Jedi master is huh?

I think so too. :)

Really, you can try it out...use ur lightsaber to slash some noobies with a concussion rifle...it works

By the way, I'm not American :)

<font color=cbcbff> In answer to your questions, Scav, I've read the YJK series. While it was not my intent to insinuate that Kyle needed to consult Luke for the "title" of "jedi". I thought that since Kyle is obviously respectful toward Luke(if he went to him and turned in his lightsaber out of courtesy so that Luke knew he wasn't using the force anymore and henceforth wouldn't be in danger of turning to the dark side), he likely learns of this new galactic dark jedi scum and(being afraid of the force) immediately consults Luke when he feels he needs to go back to the force. He would probably, out of the same courtesy he exercised when relinquishing his jedi-ness to Luke, seek Luke's consent or atleast inform Luke before using the force again.

I'm sure that you have to go through the speed and jump rooms etc. in the yavin scenario to train you as the player. What I am uncertain about is if it's as a test, or just as a re-familiarization. If you read the bio, it says Kyle <i>did</i> indeed spend time learning at the Jedi Academy.

<font color=cbcbff> I'm starting to disagree that that is the sniper rifle. Yes it has a scope, but so does the strifle. And from the specs posted earlier on the disrupter, it doesn't sound like it would be a very good choice, with it's short range. Yes, they could have changed things, but it just doesn't fit. Also, usually sniper rifles have ammo that's more scarce than the mid-range weapons. That disruptor rifle has 300 ammo. Unless it uses 10 or so units per-shot, it seems like the ammo is too abundant for a sniper rifle. Although they are the dev team and it's possible that they are cheating to make it easier to test things. But I've seen enough counter evidence to make me uncertain.

Archived