Home

It's true! Sniper Rifle = Disruptor

Scav

Originally posted by Obi

<font color=cbcbff> I'm starting to disagree that that is the sniper rifle. Yes it has a scope, but so does the strifle. And from the specs posted earlier on the disrupter, it doesn't sound like it would be a very good choice, with it's short range. Yes, they could have changed things, but it just doesn't fit. Also, usually sniper rifles have ammo that's more scarce than the mid-range weapons. That disruptor rifle has 300 ammo. Unless it uses 10 or so units per-shot, it seems like the ammo is too abundant for a sniper rifle. Although they are the dev team and it's possible that they are cheating to make it easier to test things. But I've seen enough counter evidence to make me uncertain.

I know...it's really bizarre to me now...Disruptor doesn't sound like a Sniper rifle's name at all....can a sniper rifle disrupt something? Your right on the clip size...300 is just too much for a sniper rifle. Let's hope its the Conc rifle II...:)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It ISN'T a sniper rifle, guys! What we meant by labelling it that way is by it's appearance. It DOES look like a bullpup design of a sniper rifle, like a Walther 2000

However, as most energy weapons go, the laser will travel for unlimited distances unless the particles it emits are unstable, like plasma. Spun Tibanna gas would be a nice stable element to use in the particle emitter, and it would allow the beam to travel as far as you want.

So, in all aspects, it COULD be a sniper rifle. However, it seems to be more like a phase compression rifle for assaulting rather than a sniper rifle, however, it COULD work both ways.

Originally posted by SaberPro

I know...it's really bizarre to me now...Disruptor doesn't sound like a Sniper rifle's name at all....can a sniper rifle disrupt something? Your right on the clip size...300 is just too much for a sniper rifle. Let's hope its the Conc rifle II...:)

This is Star Wars. They don't have bullet based weapons anymore. It's possible for it to disrupt something by having a certain phase setting which distorts the matter it touches.

Yes, seeing how 'disruptors' are common in Trek. There's no substitute for a good blaster at your side...

Although looking at the disruptor model, it has a good, believable, and consistent Star Wars style. Lots of browns and blacks, worn, rugged, and weathered appearance. Just like the original classic trilogy (the way Star Wars was meant to be).

In Truce at Bakura, the Ssi-Ruuvi use a disruptor which overloads nerves, and with a sufficiently wide enough beam, destroy any matter it touches.

In Star Trek, the disruptor is just another weapon. It doesn't destroy nerves or matter. It just burns through it, like a phaser.

I agree with Wilhuf. It looks more weathered and beaten. Makes me think of a <i>Generation</i>-class Star Trek ship (<i>Enterprise C</i>) compared to the <i>Falcon</i>.

I'd fly the Falcon any day. Rough, dependable and it's systems aren't always subject to random phenomena and overloads!

Originally posted by Scav

However, as most energy weapons go, the laser will travel for unlimited distances unless the particles it emits are unstable, like plasma. Spun Tibanna gas would be a nice stable element to use in the particle emitter, and it would allow the beam to travel as far as you want.

So, in all aspects, it COULD be a sniper rifle. However, it seems to be more like a phase compression rifle for assaulting rather than a sniper rifle, however, it COULD work both ways.

From the posts I've seen on the disruptor it DOES have a maximum range. I doubt LEC would go against everything the EU has told us thus far.

Originally posted by CaptainRAVE

I dunno. This new weapon sounds like something from Star Trek and not Star Wars.

Just take a look at Executor's and my posts in this thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30674

Distuptor is quite well known STAR WARS weapon. I guess that the one presented in JO is the newest model, but it wasn't made up by Raven.

It ISN'T a sniper rifle, guys! What we meant by labelling it that way is by it's appearance. It DOES look like a bullpup design of a sniper rifle, like a Walther 2000

I thought you said it IS a sniper rifle...look at your first post...

Look at the ammo box...300 for a "sniper rifle"?

This is Star Wars. They don't have bullet based weapons anymore. It's possible for it to disrupt something by having a certain phase setting which distorts the matter it touches.

I didn't say the 300 were bullets because I know this is Star Wars :) . 300 might be just power packs or energy cells that the gun uses...

If this was a sniper rifle, and sniper rifles were suppose to hit something instantly..then the sniper rifle won't shoot lasers...right? (Bryar's laser beam goes very slow)

Yeah probably...:)

Sniper Rifle statistics:

Day of Defeat = about 25 shots total

Tribes 2 = Unlimited (about a 5 seconds gap to charge to full power)

CounterStrike = 30?

JKII = if it uses 10 at a time, 300 --> 30 shots total

Looks pretty accurate to me :rolleyes:

Let me make this clear. If Distruptor is a sniper rifle then I am missing Darth Vader's cousin. Distruptor has really poor range (50 meters at most), and just look at this "scope". If it is in fact a sniper scope then it was projected for grans only: who else could put his eye closer then 20 cm to it (just look at the screens above)? :) Anyway it doesn't even look like a sight...

That's right, Starscrap. :relieved smile:

Anyway, back to the technical aspects of the disruptor.. Laser = light, correct? Light speed = 186 thousand miles per second. The disruptor would use a laser with particles, and the nature of the laser would speed those particles to the half the speed of light before dissipating. So, theoretically, you should be hit STRAIGHT away when some fires a disruptor at you. HOWEVER, that's assuming the gun uses tibanna gas as an explosive particle. Plasma or some kind of nebula gas would be quite slower.

As for the Bryar pistol... I have no idea why it's so slow.

That's right, Starscrap. :relieved smile:

Anyway, back to the technical aspects of the disruptor.. Laser = light, correct? Light speed = 186 thousand miles per second. The disruptor would use a laser with particles, and the nature of the laser would speed those particles to the half the speed of light before dissipating. So, theoretically, you should be hit STRAIGHT away when some fires a disruptor at you. HOWEVER, that's assuming the gun uses tibanna gas as an explosive particle. Plasma or some kind of nebula gas would be quite slower.

As for the Bryar pistol... I have no idea why it's so slow.

Or... maybe it just... works? And stuff happens?

I dont know why the Bryar is slower in technical terms. But game wise it has to be as it is more accurate and more powerful then the normal stormtrooper.....it needs to be slower to balance it with other weapons. Its like a pistol and a machine gun. A pistol is more accurate but slower whereas a machine gun is quicker but less accurate by far.

I think the weapon looks pretty cool myself. If it is indeed the sniper rifle...

A liberal definition of a disruptor is merely a very high powered blaster. Just because the only disruptors we know of are short range, doesn't mean a longer range one couldn't be built.

The Essential Guide says that "because of their crude design, disruptors tend to have short ranges and limited ammunition capacity..." What's to say that if the weapon was very well built, its range couldn't be increased?

I REALLY need the Essential's guide. That, and the Lando Calrissian series, are the ONLY Star Wars books I haven't read. I've read everything from the comic books to the Ship Guide to the Classic books.

Anyway, I think having a beat up, unreliable blaster is better than having some souped up, modern model disruptor which owns all. Adds more character.

Archived