Home

Just returned from the Billy Joel/Elton John concert

Keyan Farlander

It was absolutely awesome. They played most of the old favorites and some new stuff too (Elton from his new album and Billy played a bit from one of his new classical pieces). Several of the songs were really extended, with interesting instumental bridges and such being added in.

They started out together, with "Your Song," "Just the Way You Are," and some other Elton song (I forget which one). Then Billy left the stage and Elton John did his songs - about 10. After that Billy Joel came back (and Elton left) and did his stuff - about 12 songs. He mention Richard Joo was there (the guy who played on his classical album), but he didn't come up and play; I doubt people there for a rock concert would have liked that too much.

Then, Elton came back on (with a change of clothes, of course), and they did several more songs together, including "Here Comes the Sun" - a nice tribute to George Harrison. After that, I figured it was about over, but they came back for an encore (yet another change of clothes for Elton) - a really long one, that included a nice rendition of "Great Balls of Fire." Then they left the stage, but came back for a second encore, consisting of "Candle in the Wind" and, of course, "Piano Man."

All in all, they played for nearly four hours, and every second of it was spectacular. Billy's voice was in top form, showing no signs of the throat troubles he had a while back. He hit those high notes without a problem, too. And I've never seen Elton John's piano playing so tight and precise - excellent.

The highlights of the evening were probably "Crocodile Rock" for Elton John - he really got the crowd going with that one, and for Billy Joel, it's a tough call, but I'd say "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" was his best moment, though several others ("Miami 2017," "I Go to Extremes," "Anthony's Song") could easily claim that title as well, if you ask me tomorrow. There was also a fair bit of humor from Billy; he always seems to get a laugh out of the crowd. The bands were great too. There are some very talented people playing for those guys.

Anyway, it was a great concert. If you are a fan of either of these guys, and they are coming to your area, get tickets if you can. You won't regret it.

My fave Billy Joel song is "Why Should I Worry," from Oliver & Company. :D

As for Sir Elton, I like his more upbeat stuff, but his ballads just kinda bore me (YMMV, of course). The only Elton ballads I'm fond of are the movie stuff: "Someday Out of the Blue" (from Road to Eldorado) and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" (Lion King).

Archived