Home

"It's... pink."

gorbie

Hey! Cheers and Frasier are on a par. Sinbad was in this really bad film I saw in the holiday, with Dan Akroyd and that woman from '3rd Rock from the Sun'. It was about these aliens with cone heads. I only watched it cos Michael Richards was in it. (KRAMER!!)

Originally posted by Meksilon

I just read my way through this load of crap. What a waste of perfectly good time.

=mek=

Good grief Mek, haven't you ever heard the phrase "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"?

If that's your opinion keep it to yourself, just don't go spouting random spam and then act all surprised when people tell you (in far more explicit terms than this) how...dissappointed they are with it.

You're really not doing yourself any favours.

Originally posted by Darnn

Oh, cut him some slack.

If any one of us had said that, those comments wouldn't be here.

He thinks it's a waste of time, let him.

That's hardly fair darnn, i seem to be spending half my life thanking people for not making anti-mek posts. you're right, if anyone else had said that it probably wouldn't have generated this feedback.

But the fact that it is him and he has to keep his nose particularly clean if he wants to be another loved poster means that it's only fair to say that pointless and aggressive posts (even if it's not directed at any one person) will not make him more popular.

I get mad at those guys who write in to magazines saying "Why so many adverts?". These sad people count the number of adverts, then write a letter, and it even gets published. Its not like if the adverts aren't there then the space will be taken up by more articles. They aren't in a situation where "Well Bob, that fantastic article will have to be canned cos we need that page for the Shallow Hal ad". These people are so stupid. Ok, so they take all the ads out and whaddya got? a shorter magazine, with no handy ads telling you release dates of movies or games, or on offers at the big shops like Virgin. Plus, if there are any freebies - CD's or posters - they're gonna have to go cos theres no more money coming in. IDIOTS!!!!!!

This one time, in ad class....

We learned that 30% of magazines are actual articles/non-ad material.

Without ads, magazines couldn't exist... subscriptions to magazines and newspapers barely pay for the paper they're printed on.

Originally posted by Yoha

This one time, in ad class....

We learned that 30% of magazines are actual articles/non-ad material.

That 30% is in the more reputable magazines. I've seen some mags that contain less than 10% material... leaving the rest for advertisements. But we are talking page space here. It takes a lot of writing to fill a page ...a single ad will do the same.

You know what's sadder...these ads work. All of us claim that, "Advertisements don't work on me." ...but they really do, if only on a subconscious level.

All that money spent on advertisements is hardly ever wasted. :(

there are many conspiracies out there, but this one is really true -- advertisements rule the world!!!(insert evil chuckle here)

seriously, ALL television revenue is from what? advertisements, half the websites on the net are paid for through advertisements, as well as magazines, newspapers, and especially radio, actually, most mass media is paid for through advertisements.

scary huh?

Originally posted by Kylilin

there are many conspiracies out there, but this one is really true -- advertisements rule the world!!!(insert evil chuckle here)

seriously, ALL television revenue is from what? advertisements, half the websites on the net are paid for through advertisements, as well as magazines, newspapers, and especially radio, actually, most mass media is paid for through advertisements.

scary huh?

This is why the BBC is the best thing ever.

I've never actually seen any letters complaining about ads, just stupid ads (eg. Amiga Format readers constantly complained about the dodgy chat line ads that started creeping in, and so did the writers). Nothing wrong with that really - it's like complaining about how Sky One totally disregard Enterprise's extremely obvious "put an ad break HERE" fade-to-blacks and just put them randomly in the middle of a scene or something. Because I do that all the time, as you might have guessed, and there's nothing wrong with it! :)

And then I could start about how they chop the edges off every widescreen programme ever and show them in 4:3, but I'm not going to, because that would be wandering dangerously off-topic! But maybe I could just mention it or something.

BTW, while I'm writing an overly long post about nothing in particular, can someone answer this? Is HBO totally advert free, or do they have ads between programmes?

Originally posted by Huz

BTW, while I'm writing an overly long post about nothing in particular, can someone answer this? Is HBO totally advert free, or do they have ads between programmes?

The only ads HBO runs are announcements about upcoming shows and stuff.

Originally posted by Huz

I'm 99% sure that it's 100% ad free.

Originally posted by raVen_image

You know what's sadder...these ads work. All of us claim that, "Advertisements don't work on me." ...but they really do, if only on a subconscious level.

All that money spent on advertisements is hardly ever wasted. :(

I agree... and in that same class we learned that (and i'm quoting, sadly) "Advertising is to sell stuff to stupid people who buy what we're telling them... Cindy Crawford is wearing those jeans so if you buy them you'll look like that... no, I'm sorry honey, but if you buy those jeans your butt will STILL look big."

Archived