Home

Out Of Order playable demo

Excellent. The dialogue isn't even littered with conspicuous errors. Great start to a promising game and a good ad for SLUDGE!

(Update: I have to admit I've never been particularly partial to the Sam and Max-style cycle-through-the-available-actions interface, though... anyone else agree?)

The blockiness of the characters isn't because of your resolution - they're just blocky characters. The main character animations were taken from the DOS version of the game I tried to write about 5 years ago - I couldn't be bothered to hi-res (which I'm sure shouldn't be used as a verb) them for the new version. Lazy, I know... but it also makes them easier to animate. Drawing a new grab, duck, reach, jump or whatever animation doesn't take half as much work as it would on a character with twice as many dpi (or rather, pixels per pixel, I suppose... but that would be ppp, which just sounds silly).

As for the lack of stupid errors in the speech... (a) English being my first language helps. I know a lot of people writing games are Italian, French, German, Swiss, Chinese, Canadian ;) or whatever and consequently their use of English isn't quite as textbook perfect. But it's a hell of a lot better than my Italian, French etc. would be. Still, I have to admit that I shudder when I see objects like "potatoe" in my inventory. I just decided one day that I wasn't going to make any mistakes. Simple as that. Which brings me on to (b)... SLUDGE has an option to save all the speech to a big long text file so that you can run it through a spellchecker. Nifty, eh?

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated...

- Tim

Archived