Home

Director's cut of JEDI KNIGHT and DARK FORCES?

Impulse49

I mean, let's face it; once you play beautiful, smoothly rendered JEDI OUTCAST, walking down the memory lane of JEDI KNIGHT and managing to keep playing with that blocky sprite that's Kyle Katarn is going to be tough.

I wouldn't mind seeing DF and JK using JK2 engine, but even with better visuals these mods would never replace original games. I have fond memories of them, so updated graphics will never add anything totally new there, but perhaps only serve as tribute to efforts of those developers who made original games and play with an idea what these games would have looked like with more advanced engine.

can u imagine fighting a stage 1 dark trooper with jkII engine and a lightsaber??? :D

I have already given my acceptance, but let's stick to original storyline of those games, so no lightsaber in DF(except through cheat code only). ;) I'm sure little adjusting will be needed and modders might even get rid of secrets that were essential gaining all those Force stars in JK, but otherwise keep gameplay and mood as much similar as they were when we first played these classics.

Maybe they'd redo all the cutscenes JEDI OUTCAST style too...

In DF's case this might be right, but I definitely would like to see those original live-action cutscenes from JK also in mod(even though it would be illegal). It would be possible, if Creat used Bink Video to compress their fully rendered cutscenes and modders then compressed those original JK(Smacker) cutscenes to Bink format.

You know I am right... ;)

A pal of mine had the same idea...to "Convert" the old JK levels into the JKO game...to play the nostalgic times again....but he only tought it with the Boss an the most loves MP levels.....not with all of them....

But a nice idea too!! :)

That would rule.....hope the pals out there would made it possible..!

I would not mind seeing some of those DF levels remade using the JKII engine. A lot of them were separate missions anyway, so just having a few would not be too much of a problem. I'd avoid introducing the lightsaber into it, though...because DF was really more about guns. ;)

Barring a mod...I just wish someone at LEC would attempt a patch to upgrade the old DF to include mouselook, OpenGL, D3D rendering, increased resolutions, dynamic lighting, etc., the sort of thing a lot of these Doom make-overs have done. It would at least boost the graphics, and make it more playable, while retaining the sheer numbers of enemies on screen at the same time. :)

As for Jedi Knight...again, maybe just a patch to tweak the engine, or something. As suggested, many of those levels are just huge, and it would take a looot of effort to duplicate them faithfully. Of course, I wouldn't dissuade anyone from giving it a try, because I'm all for revamping old games... :)

I thought about JK mod further and understood that using JK2 saber control as it is won't be wise decision, because Kyle simply isn't that experienced saber user so early. So, keeping in mind that JK2 will feature 3 different fighting stances, modders could limit Kyle to use only standard fighting stance which gives him fast attacks that "still pack a little bit of a punch." Dark Jedis should have different variations of these fighting stances(if it's possible to edit them) or they might switch easily between them: Yun could use a light fighting stance(because he is young and restless), so his attacks will be more rapid than those of standard, but "at the cost of reduced damage", and Jerec might fight againts you using heavy stance, which attacks produce "a great deal of damage, but he'll be left wide open for a short period of time if his swing fails to find its target." I think these might translate quite well into gameplay. :D

:wstupid:

I dunno, but despite the somewhat limited SFX they had for those cutscenes...having an actor playing Kyle in them (unlike the blocky fake-looking thing in MotS cutscenes) made the story much more believable, and made me actualy care what happened to Kyle. :)

For an updated JK to be of any interest after the first few missions is tricky. Because the graphics themselves have a say in what you read in the game, to update them is to alter the entire game itself. And that would mean using advanced lighting to make less advanced lighting, things like that. Believe me, its really really hard. And then when you figure that there's the rest of the huge level to do, it all becomes that much more daunting. It can't be so different its no longer the origional.

Since its a remake, it has to fit with the story line, but still adjust it. And that in itself is a bit of a contradiction, since to adjust the storyline is to change it. And as the JK novels have proved, that usually doesn't work out. Take Planet of the Apes. Not a game, but it IS a remake. And it wasn't nearly as good as the origional, even with the cool effects. See, THAT's the tricky part.

Ok. Now to include my system specs for no appearant reason:

Mac

eh, that about sums it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I had made an effort to port DF/JK maps to Q3 maps. I have some degree of success with DF maps, but none yet with JK ones.

There are several steps to leave behind before it can be possible, between them are:

- Completely different scale (not so hard to correct)

- Different kind of geometry (VERY hard to correct)

I leave my converter at it is because I lack enough math knowledge to go on, and nobody who have done something with JK geometry gave me any help. :(

If someone is interested in helping me -> PM.

Some old screenshots I had taken:

Click to get the original:

shouldbe-t.jpg

inquake-t.jpg

I would very much love to see JK/MotS with a dedicated servers (and pure server) option added.

The other thing I'd wish for would be Dark Forces with 3d accelerated graphics (ie: multiple res selection, and FSAA) and maybe mouselook. ; )

But... I have a feeling we won't get any of that, just the same old games repackaged into new boxes.

One thing that LEC could do to celebrate this new game is to release the source for Dark Forces or something (like Id did for the earlier Doom games).

I'm all for the idea of this sort of mod. I'm also all for creative license; you may need to make something slightly different for design purposes.

BTW; LucasArts slapped me in the face after my last reply on this thread. The bio of Jan Ors as it's seen on the main page gives a history set in the novels :p

Guest X-Vector
Originally posted by StormHammer

Barring a mod...I just wish someone at LEC would attempt a patch to upgrade the old DF to include mouselook, OpenGL, D3D rendering, increased resolutions, dynamic lighting, etc., the sort of thing a lot of these Doom make-overs have done. It would at least boost the graphics, and make it more playable, while retaining the sheer numbers of enemies on screen at the same time. :)

That would be a dream come true.

You don't know how long I've been waiting for something like "Legacy Dark Forces" to happen, it's such a pain to play the game with its current (virtually mouseless) control scheme and low resolution on my 19" monitor.

Even if DF was just to be brought up to Duke3D's standards (usable mouse, 800x600 res, OK sound) I would be happy to spend hour after hour battling those glorious Dark Troopers again.

Originally posted by StarScrap:

I REALLY hope those meteor things we keep seeing are Dark Troopers.

Do you think I'm setting myself up to be disapointed?

Yes.

Archived