Home

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keyan Farlander

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

Becoming a pro requires far, far more than a degree, and even teaching positions are vanishing, since some ignorant fools seem hell bent on removing music from public schools entirely.

Damn those *******s, but at some public school systems the music programs are not entirely popular, and its only logical for the schools to remove a class thats empty and eating up the budget than have it survive.

I wouldn't have a problem with not having music classes in school. People who have the desire to be a musician in any form will find a way to play an instrument regardless. Even on the high school level, the only music that's absolutely needed is a marching band and that's extracirular anyhow.

If music classes in school teach anything, they teach a loathing of music. Children don't like to be taught anything and they dislike what they do get taught. That's why I have an intense hatred for Macs and Netscape. I started listening to classical music when I was very young because my parents wouldn't let me listen to regular music for some reason. Eventually they stopped caring about that and I began to listen to whatever I wanted. But I STILL listen to classical music. The only effect any school music classes had on that was what exactly I listen to. If we hadn't played <i>Bacchanale</i> and <i>La Grande Porte de Kiev</I> i wouldn't have ever heard of them. (except the great gate of kiev because the history channel likes to use that in documentaries involving WWI naval battles :confused: but i wouldn't have known the title)

I'd like to see music classes replaced with some sort of typing class on the elementary level. That's infinitely more important these days.

And this is coming from someone that started playing the cello in 5th grade and didn't stop until he graduated from high school.

High school was very easy.

That is why I hate High School. I'm bored with it. There is no challenge in any of my classes (that includes Calculas). If I found school to be a little challenging I would enjoy it, and forget my classmates. but that just isn't the case. So I am really looking forward to College.

You cannot possibly compare the amount of risk of a music major to that of an engineering major. Becoming a pro requires far, far more than a degree, and even teaching positions are vanishing, since some ignorant fools seem hell bent on removing music from public schools entirely.

My point was this: If you are REALLY driven to succeed in a given field, whether it be music, engineering, business, ice-sculpting, or flower-arranging, you will find a way to do it. There are many oppertunities in every field, as long as your expectations are realistic. Most of my family and almost all of my friends and co-workers are working musicians. Many of the gigs aren't ultra-glamorous, but they pay. They are all working, and they all love what they do, (and that's more than I can say about a couple of people I know who have more traditional type careers) which is more important to me in the long run.

If you really want to do one thing, but are studying to do something else you don't really enjoy because you believe it will have less risk or better financial gains in the end, then you just might be setting yourself up for a lifetime of bitter unhappiness. The inital risks upon leaving college to find employment are roughly the same in every field as far as I'm concerned,.. you are still starting from nothing and have to prove yourself to the world at large.

University sucks.

You're in a certain program, which means you have to take (and pass) courses that you normally wouldn't touch with a ten-foot cattleprod. And you don't get any choice in what the teachers say because you're just one drone in a class of 20-50 students and have to do what he/she says anyway or you won't graduate.

School isn't about education. It's about being turned into good, productive little cogs that can regurgitate eighty pages of gibberish on command, all MLA formatted and cross-referenced with at least three "scholarly" secondary sources.

Note to Students:

You are not a person. You are raw material. School is the factory in which that raw material is to be built into Productive Members of Society<sup>tm</sup>.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to master the pronomial cases and syntax of a dead language.

I can't say I agree with that at all. It actually makes no sense. A lot has to do with how many jobs are available and how many people want them. I may be miserable for the rest of my life, but at least I won't be hungry.

*Shrugs*

OK. Then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I tried working a good paying job that I hated with people I didn't like once, but decided quickly that life is way too short to spend most of it doing something I disliked.

You'll be spending the majority of the waking hours of the rest of your life working. I can't imagine doing something I hated that much.

I'd rather be poor.

HAHA. This week has been amazing. Here in Brazil, school starts late January, and ends late November.

So school started Tuesday, and I was like, "oh well, another normal crappy year". Well fear not, you, reader of this idiotic post. A SURPRISE expected me. For this year will be EXTRA CRAPPY! Wait no, not extra crappy. It has gone from crappy to *****. This year, not only do I have my 7AM-12PM normal Monday-Friday classes, I also have weekly tests on Saturday, starting 7AM on EVERY ****ING SATURDAY OF THE YEAR, 4-5 tests every week, each of these worth about 1/3 of my grade in each class! HURRAH! GREAT WAY TO RUIN FRIDAY NIGHT, DIP****S. But that's not all, oh no, they wouldn't stop there! During this school year, they will pick a special day in which I won't have 5 classes, I'll have 9 classes. In one day. Their idea is that we go to school, and once the morning classes are over, we go home and come back 2PM for our SPECIAL YUMMY AFTERNOON CLASSES. But it doesn't work like this. I have this matter with the House Management(ie: my parents) and they said they CANNOT pick me up at noon to take me again at 2PM. So HURRAH ONCE AGAIN, FOR I WILL ARRIVE AT SCHOOL AT 7AM AND STAY ALL THE WAY TILL 7PM, when I will go home and plan <u>MASS ****ING MURDER.</u>

So in conclusion, I whine a ****load.

*For those retarded, think of the 4 letter word for FECES that starts with S and ends with HIT.

Your complaining about haveing class from 7 am- noon? Man your life is just so hard. i would have loved to have that. When I was in high school i was in school from 7 am until 3 pm daily, just for normal classes, all of which were high level classes, some college classes. Then I also had a full time job, captain of the debate team (so there went my weekends) and lead violist for the schools orchestras. To top it off when i wasnt working immediatly after school, i was practising or preparing speeches, or coaching, or making uniforms, or researching, etc..... I normally didnt get home from school until about midnight 5 days a week.

Now when I was going through nuclear training, that was rough. Into the building at 5 am, skipping breakfast becasue the galley didnt open until 5 am. less then 1 hour for lunch, less then 1 hour for dinner, out of the building at midnight, and have to go run pt for 4-5 miles, then shower, sleep, and try to see a fiancee. pretty rough. caffeine was my best friend.

the moral is, some one always has it rougher then you. i would actually give a lot to go back to high school, i loved it and i do miss it. enjoy school while you have it, becasue it is a whole lot better then the outside world.

I'm not actually looking forward to getting out of high school, primarily since some of my best friends are a grade below me. I don't exactly relish the idea of going off to college and leaving all of them. That's the problem. You make such great friends in high school, then you've got to leave them all, just to get a "better education". It's screwy.

For the first time ever, my three hour long class actually lasted three hours. It was suck. I even had to work through the 15 minute break they give us.

Timeline of events:

8:00 - Arrival at class. Pull case off my computer, and lose a screw. Lab partner retrieves screw.

8:07 - prof finishes giving instructions and giving us way more to do than we had previously thought. i express doubts to lab partner about the abilities of the "stupid ****ers" to get the job done.

8:10 - Power button operational. Learned important lesson: don't mess with the power button unless you have to.

8:30 - computer reassembled.

8:31 - found mystery cable hiding under power supply. it ran to a parallel port. since we had another parallel port that was attached to the mobo we decided to hide the extra cable under the motherboard

8:45 - finished inspecting computer. wait for prof to inspect.

9:05 - get bored waiting because some people don't know how to use a screwdriver or something and find computers "scary"

9:10 - decide to turn on the computer when prof isn't looking.

9:11 - discovered cable to CD-ROM not plugged in all the way

9:11.30 - turned computer off because prof was nearby

9:15 - Prof says we can take break. lab partner and i discuss those huge computers from the 50s

9:25 - prof inspects our comp and says we plugged a cable in wrong. she proceeds to plug the cable in exactly how we had it. computer gets turned on

9:30 - begin LAB #2: ****ing with the BIOS settings.

9:35 - discover we can't figure out what's what in the BIOS because our computer was designed by monkeys that put everything in their strange yet elegant language

9:45 - blind luck comes through and we decipher their language. theorize working on other unknown languages, such as the Easter Island pictographs

9:50 - test our new BIOS settings. asks for password. we never told it to ask for a password

9:51 - I pull out the battery and figure that will erase the BIOS ****up

9:52 - figure out that pulling the battery out for three seconds doesn't work.

9:53 - new bios is functioning. Computer is running at 116F

9:54 - doubts expressed at survivability of high temperature

9:55 - another computer is sighted running at 120. we assume ours is good

10:00 - finally get LAB #3: making a set of boot disks

10:03 - arrive in lab with actual working computers

10:30 - finally get disks because apparently no one knows how to copy disks

10:45 - done copying four disks because a few of our disks were bad and stuff

IT WAS HORRIBLE. I could have done all that in like 30 minutes. Because all the idiots got the prof to help them they were all done like 45 minutes before me because i had to sit there with nothing to do and prod at hte inside of hte computer forever

Originally posted by Admiral

That is why I hate High School. I'm bored with it

Yeah, I know what you mean by boring. The only thing we've done this year that interested me was "Ballistics" and "Dynamic laws". We just started "Particles in a magnetic or electric field" and it isn't difficult but just boring.

Most boring thing I've done this year, on scientific classes, must be the "magnetic field" with Helmholtz Bobbin and all that.

Most absolute boring thing: Philosophy. I hate it.

The most horrid and stressful class i had this semester was Honors Speech ...what a pain in the ass. I had to memorizie whole speeches, fight nervousness, and worry about passing the speeches so that i would not have to take the entire course over again......My personal hell...thank God i am going to some American Literature class.

Originally posted by Nute Gunray

9:53 - new bios is functioning. Computer is running at 116F

9:54 - doubts expressed at survivability of high temperature

9:55 - another computer is sighted running at 120. we assume ours is good

ROTFLOL

Reminds me of the "fun" I used to have in High School. And yes, it is fun in hindsight.

I got bored today and after some hand-splicing work attempted to slave my second hard drive (it's only 5 GB) to my floppy to free up an extra IDE slot for a DVD-ROM.

I'd just finished installing my new burner (LG 24x10x40), and noticed I was full-up for IDEs...

Anyway, $100 later I installed new floppy and hard drives to replace the ones I killed... I still think I probably damaged the mobo, but so far no problems...

Tomorrow: vigorously apply hammer to hard and floppy drives in basement, followed by burial in backyard as is tradition with deceased electronics among my friends.

Archived