Home

Where it all started.

nykel007

Since it seems we are on our last strech of JK2, just like to know when and where you heard of JK2. Where your hype for the game startred and so fort. It's been a long road.

After the abrupt death of obi-wan things weren't so rightous, so on a rainy Friday afternoon the sun broke though, news of Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast.

Lunatics story.

I wouldnt call it a rainy day. It was more like the burning fires of hell. Lucasarts were going through a period where they were churning out crappy title, after crap bloody title. Usually based on Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.

Lucasarts were bad i mean real bad. There was absolutely NO communication between the people making obi-wan and the game community. We were told obi-wan was the spiritual successor to Jedi Knight. It would play and look very similar to the original. There was quite a lot of excitement for a time....before the information blackout occurred. The game was due out around September 2000, i think. Then there was an announcement that it was going to be delayed 4 months. During those four months we waited patiently, receiving no word on the game. The only information that was circualting was that certain members of the dev team were being sacked or moved to other projects. Not a good sign. Sure enough they eventually said it was cancelled for the pc, and later would be ported to the x-box (to make $$$$$$$$$$)

Those were dark days my friends.....I had personally given up on Lucasarts. I vowed never again to buy any of their games, and to be a thorn in their side. The hatred was swelling in me (if you could read some of my old posts on the obi-wan board!!) to an uncontrollable level. 2 years i had waited for this game so the frustration was high. As i'm sure a lot of other peoples were. I had a belief that once a company sells out that's the end of them. Which it seemed Lucasarts were doing. That is making sub-standard games that appeal to the average gamer, not us hardcore 1337 gamers. The Phantom Menace game and Podracer are prime examples.

So there i was, i had lost all hope for a successor to Jedi Knight. IMO the greatest game ever....

Around comes the 2001 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), i had heard somewhere that Lucasarts were going to announce about 7 new games. I thought there was a snowballs chance in hell that a sequel to Jedi Knight would be announced. It looked grim at first. On the first few days they announced titles like Pod Racer 2, Bombad Racing..etc. Then on the last day (teasing SOB's!!) it was announced, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast to be released for PC (queue Star Wars music). That was the greatest gaming news i have ever heard in my life!!!! My faith had been restored and i was pumped to the max!!!!

So it has been a long and arduous journey fellow Jk'erS!. But here we are at last, the release is imminent. Kyle will indeed return in all his glory ready to battle the forces of evil.

I really wished that they would release a demo of Obi-Wan to the public to see if they should continue on. That would have helped their ratings tremendously.

Grim Fandango was the last of LucasArt's good games. The rest were pretty bad (except Racer and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine)

I'm very glad that they chose RAVEN for the developers for JK2. I don't think LucasArts can create that much quality games anymore by themselves.

And they better not port JK2 to consoles. I have a feeling that they would and they would include 'extras' so people will by them so they can get more $ and we, the PC, people get a decoy buggy version.

My story is similar. When I heard that Obi-Wan was going to follow JK, I was like " OK sounds cool." But then they sent it over to X-Box (BLAH!) I was saddened to the core of my pole-vault loving heart. Then I saw a few games that were kinda cool (Indiana Jones and Racer). Then I recieved news that there would be another Racer. I was happy until once again console, PS2. I was sad, but as I read through the news, I saw it. It was like an oasis in the desert and I had not had a drink since the ABA crapped out. Then I found out the oasis was farther away than expected. I thought "I have to wait HOW LONG???" But the time is nearly here and I'm excited.

Now only if they would make Sam and Max 2 for PC.

It all started with OBW, but im not going into that painful story ;)......anyway.....

It was about 2 months til my GCSE's, most important exams of my life and I visited the AVAULT which had news of JK2 with the initial shots :). I then went to the massassi where they gave a link and said to join these forums straight away :)........I was the 97th person to join and we all started to discuss quickly :)..........and in no time at all, we're here :)........

My story goes back to...1994 (I think)

It was my birthday. My older brother call me on the phone, he was looking at two CD SW games (I had no CD games then)

Dark Forces and Rebel Assault, he talked me about the description of the games on the box, and told me he thaught I should chose DF. I did. He arrived some days later with it (He was in another city, by that time there were no game stores here)

I think I played it on a 486. It was amazing, absolutely, I'll never forget level 3 with those Dianogas, then the prision and those elevator puzzles to free Crix Madine, at the end that fight on the Arc Hammer.

Years later, probably the first times I connected to the net at home, on a 14.4, I saw Jedi Knight : Dark Forces 2 spotlighted at LEC's site (that was terrible at that time). I still remember the first JK official site.

I remember I was on Canada when the game was released, visiting another brother, and I saw it, a PC shop in a mall, with lots of JK boxes in the entrance. There was a PC and people in line to play it. They were playing level 2, shooting down stromtroopers with the ST rifle, I bought it, came back here and played most of the game on a 486, later I upgraded to a PII 333.

More years later I saw OW, "in the tradition of DF and JK", that statement was one of the biggest mistakes they have made in their history.

The rest is known to you, everything that happened with OW and then the announcement of JO, the seventh of those E3 announcements made by LEC, I saw it minutes after it was posted (However there were rumors about the announcement before, and we were all expecting it)

now the trailer, and in some months I'll be playing JO all day and night :D

I guess the next chapter will be written in about three years

PS: I forgot MotS, I think my mom bought it in the US in a trip, and I played it in my new Vodoo 2

Thats my story :D

Well, I heard about JK2 right after E3, like a lot of other people did, and thank God I didn't have to go through the dark days of Obi Wan that yall are talking about. I had GB to keep up on so after the annoucenment of JK2 I keep up with GB more since it was gonna be released before JK2. But I'm still here, and I'm here a lot now since GB has been released and everything has slowed down on galacticbattles.com

If you ever visited the Obi-Wan Network or Obi-WanKenobi.Net before either closed or before Obi-Wan was canceled, then you know where my story started.

Hit a few links, and I was the 51st person to join the forums. Of course I can't log on to that user now because I cannot access the e-mail used for it and I forgot my password for it. And I've yet specifically ask an admin or moderator to see if it is within their power to e-mail it to me using the address registered to this user name. Btw, user name is Ki-Adi-Mundi with 177 posts. Signature is almost identical if anyone remembers it back when JkII.Net had it's own seperate forums.

Archived