Home

Why I'm so smart

elTee

I am smart. I know now that in the future video games will be as highly regarded as movies. So it will be very useful to own the original LucasArts games in original boxes - in the future there will be no boxes. They use DVD cases now (maybe not in USA), but I'm glad to see that the latest LEC game, JKII, has a box. Hopefully they'll stick to using boxes at the LEC...

ohh i feel like slapping..

loook let them create games in original boxes AND dvd cases. Make the dvd versions a lil cheaper than the box ones and tadaa problem solved. And then as addition you also make version that come in original box with a dvd case instead of jewel case. And im happy :)

There's no way ill ever pay the price of computer games these days for a small of an item as a dvdbox..

What's so good about boxes? They're big, clunky and made out of cardboad! DVD case are made of high quality plastic and are, like, totally cool! Plus you have to think of the publishing costs - it's a lot cheaper just to pump out DVD boxes instead of DVD and "traditional" boxes. I see what you're saying, though... But maybe developers could create posters and such for popular games, I mean included in the DVD box which would increase it's "cool" value. Meh, something like that anyway.

For gods sake, what the hell is plastic if it isn't bad for the environment? I do chemistry, and complex hydro-carbons produce 'bad' gases. Boxes might be big, but the have more character - you have to lift open a box to get inside, not pull it apart. It has box-art. You can't fit bugger all on a DVD case. And cos DVD cases are used, and people get confused, the box has 'PC-CD-ROM' in big letters at the top. Rubbish. Have u seen that day of the tentacle / sam n max one?

The introduction of DVD cases makes it a lot harder to acquire so many games that your game pile reaches the ceiling, reducing the probability of someone trying to get a game out of it and bringing the pile CRASHING DOWN ON THEIR STUPID HEAD.

Conversely, if your pile of games is stationed above your bed, a sudden and unexplained earthquake would be much less likely to dislodge a pile of thinner, lighter DVD cases. However, if they did fall while you slept through the massive earthquake, the plastic casing would almost certainly make a bigger dent in your cranium than cardboard boxes would.

This message is code for "DVD Cases Suck" in case you hadn't worked it out yet.

Originally posted by LucasTones

Yeah, but could you put a mixnmojo wheel in one of those DVD cases?

I couldn't, but I'm sure there's someone cruel enough to bend his wheel! I like DVD Boxes for DVDs (of course I file them in a disc file and just keep the boxes stacked... except the double-sided ones :))

=mek=

I remember when I completed Goldenaxe the first time... That woman and the tall guy were both crap compared to the dwarf. I remember these pixies that used to come when you were at camp and they tried to steal your gold and stuff, so you kicked them up the ass. What a game.

DVD cases are great - if you want a DVD. Every entertainment medium has a set of traditions. VHS has a CHS sized box. DVD has a DVD case. Playstation games have CD cases. PC Games have BOXES. Thats the way it is. And now the games makers realise that PC's are the only things that are going to stick around (10 years where was the PC, and where was the Playstation? In 10 years, where will the PC be, and where will the Playstation be?), and they want to quickly change the case to save money (without lowering the price of the games) before everyone realises that the BOX is the PC games tradition. I rest my case. I will now go and look for Golden axe on ebay, thank you Quez.

Originally posted by QueZTone

exactly LucasTones =] I have the same now...i want an original version of Golden Axe (for the pc? does that exist?)! All Golden Axes came with a fold out poster! now that was the time baby! Oh yeah! Gilius Thunderhead all the way!

Your scrrenshot is taken from the PC version! Infact I made a bach file that allows exchanging of any game sprites (characters) for it thus allowing me to play as any enemy, or allowing enemys to be the good guys!!

=mek=

In my opinion, the DVD/Box conundrum hinges on how much you value you value pictures. There are those who feel that box art is a big part of the whole game experience, while others feel that it's what's inside the CD case rather than around it.

Box art is important asthetically for games as, lets face it, a blank cd in a transparent box just isn't as appealying as a labelled cd with proper covers. However, i feel that taking that view to the point where practicality is sacrificed for bigger pretty pictures is a little over that top.

DVD boxes may not be the right container for PC games either but i think it is at least a step in the right direction. it has roughly the same dimensions (in terms of ratio) as a traditional box, is less prone to wear and tear and easier to store in quantity without requiring an extra room. Of course, the art has to be scaled down a bit, and there's not as much scope for free give-aways as there used to be (except posters like in the GTA series) but no one really does that anymore.

I do like boxes, but the part of me that lives for order and method cries out against it. I used to be unsure of my loyalties on this point but i think it was the shameful EMI box that finally swung my decision. Packaging that could easily have housed a family of rodents and all the luxurious furniture they could eat, containing nothing but one CD case, not even a loose manual - disgraceful.

Manuals, yes. I will be sad to see the day when all documentation for a game is on CD as Acrobat files. I got a box set of Rollercoaster Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon and Transport Tycoon once, and all the manuals were on CD. Each one was about 100 pages long (complicated games.) When its printed you can just flick to where you want, but not on Acrobat files. As a result, I never got past the first level of Railroad Tycoon, and I had to figure the other two out.

Some boxes go against the grain though. The Bounty Pack was a massive box, and had a CD case and a manual in. the manual, in fact, was only for CMI, MI 1 and 2 were on CD. At least LucasArts made thier own .exe program for them. That was a waste of a box. They think that if there are three games, there should be a bigger box. Not true. A standard box would have sufficed. Original Artwork would have been nice though.

I like the DVD cases cos the're smaller and when I go in to a shop which sells pc games they now have a much larger selection of games than when they were in boxes because of the space issue. You can get 3 dvds in th same space as one box on a shelf. Also in resent years I've become disappointed in the boxed games because there is nothing in them other than a CD case. The manuels for the games now in boxes are being placed inside the CD case (Much like Playstation games) and the big box gives a false inpression of what your getting for your money.

Archived