Home

Passive Entertainment

Doubleplus GC

Hey, folks, I'm looking for a good movie to watch.

Basically, I'm a big fan of film when it's done well. I like movies. I have recently come into possession of the films Brazil and Memento on DVD and Pi on VHS (sorry I had to write out the word "pi" rather than use the neato symbol, but for some reason this particular forum won't let me put it in... whatever). This supplements my copy of the Fight Club DVD quite tastily in my "favorite movies" list, and as soon as I get a copy of City of Lost Children I'll have all 5 of my favorite movies.

But 5 faves isn't enough. I need to expact my list. So the first flick to get added is, of course, American Beauty. From here, I'm open. Perhaps 12 Monkeys and SE7EN will be added.

Here's the deal: please recommend some truly excellent movies that I should see. I know already that I need to see Snatch (can't believe I passed up an opportunity to rent it to watch Swordfish instead... what a piece of crap that movie was). And I know I need to see Resevoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects (why haven't I yet? who knows?), and I should probably see Pulp Fiction (though I'll end my Tarentino watching there). I need to see the rest of Terry Gilliam's movies (Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, The Fisher King, Time Bandits...) and I should probably just round up all of Kevin Spacey's movies. Maybe I'll see some more Luc Besson flicks...

Anyway.

Please make me some recommendations so that I may fortify myself with excellent movie watchage.

And please don't fill this thread with spam and Matrix tripe.

Anything by the Coen brothers (like "Big Lebowski") is good.

"Swingers" and "Made" are comedic, trendsetting classics.

"Pi" is a good, intelligent move.

"North By Northwest" is a Hitch**** classic.

I could go on, but these are a good start.

Originally posted by Metallus

Oh come on, you've gotta know how to break the fucking filter by now :cool:

I know how to break the f­ucking filter without using any lame tags! So there :p ner, ner, na, ner ner.

Oh yes and films:

RoboCop

The Exorciest

The Terminator

The Omen

Manhunter

The Green Mile

:c3po: And I am C-3PO, human/cyborg relations.

(and the list goes on)

-Daniel

DIE HARD!! BRILLIANT MOVIE - All the best quotes from films are from DIE HARD!!

"Now you listen to me, I don't know who you are, or what the hell you think you're doing, but you just destroyed a building!"

"Ha ha! Just like ****in Saigon, eh slick!"

"I was in junior high, ****head!"

"Jesus Christ! I'm at Nakatomi Plaza, they're turning my car into swiss cheese! I need back up assistance now! Now goddammit now!!"

"They hit the artilery on us!"

"Its not the police you idiots. Its him."

"No ****in **** lady, do I sound like I'm orderin' a pizza?!"

And, of course...

"YIPPEE KAY-AY MOTHER****ER!!"

Ahem. Other fantastic movies:

-Vertigo

-Capricorn One

-Man on the Moon

-RoboCop (Nice one mek)

-Jurassic Park trilogy

-The Thing

I could go on. I have approx 120 VHS and 5 dvds. (Hey, I only bought my player in January) - I love movies as much as LucasArts.

My picks !!

- Fantasia 2000 : Art in motion , nice music , fantastic concept

- Lord Of The Rings : duh!

- JFK : Opens your eyes

- Traffic : You've probably seen it

- Maëlstrom : mindblowing french-canadian production , who must see it

- Princess Mononoke : if you are into japanimation

I just got back from 'From Hell'. (I nearly wrote 'I just got back From Hell - that would have been funny)

Thats a good movie, but being somewhat of an amateur ripperologist, the plot was ... wrong. Great story though, don't get me wrong. It all fits together really well, and is great. Even though its pretty obvious who the ripper is. And theres some really gruesome scenes in it. Of course, not as bad as the real pictures, which I have seen. YIKES

Y'know, Alien, I was frustratedly reading through this thread and all of a sudden I'm bombarded with a string of Angel spoilers. Keep in mind that the Buffy spoiler you threw out was a big one (fortunately I'm up to speed on my Buffy), but I've seen only one full episode of Angel, but now I know a lot of what I didn't already.

Thankyouverymuch, ya tosser.

And please tell that First Blood isn't Rambo: First Blood.

Let's see:

metallus, I have seen Run Lola Run and enjoyed it. Didn't snag the favorites list, but definitely a good watch if for nothing other than cool concepts and directing and usage of the word "scheize" (hope I spelled that right for you Deutches {ditto}).

I've also seen Legend Of Drunken Master (unless you're referring to the actual Drunken Master 1 which was never released in America), and though entertaining, it's nowhere near the calibur of, say, a real ****ing movie!

And of course I know Pi is brilliant.

Could we maybe be a little more intelligent than Robocop and The Terminator? The little piece I've seen of Robocop was pretty damn lame, and though The Terminator is pretty good (one-upped by it's successor, I must say), it's not in the league of Pi or Brazil. Come on people, try harder. Imean... Die Hard? What do you take me for?

Jurassic Park was pretty good for a popcorn flick (great entertainment that won't fill you up and has absolutely no substance... like 90% of Spielberg's films), but both sequels were abyssmal. JPIII has no right to exist, it's not even a movie. It's just a bunch of stuff that looks like they were too smart to put in The Lost World. Plot: lame excuse to get on the island, buncha dinosaur stuff, deus ex machina ending, roll credits. Boo-yah.

Lord of the Rings kicked the ****, man, that's one awesome movie. Kudos. Oh, but the word is anime, please don't say "japanimaiton." It's bastardization of language. I will look into this Canadian flick, though.

I do plan on seeing Traffic sooner or later, as well as American Psycho, but I haven't yet. And I did hear that From Hell was great. They shall make my list.

Maybe I oughtta give up on intelligent movies and just watch The Faculty again. Man, that movie sucked ass.

Archived