Home

If YOU could make your own Adventure (Sequel or other wise) what would it be?

The Adventurer

Claude Daiglou Envelope: Grand Time Adventure

I have been working on my baby for about 2 years. There are two versions - one is a screenplay that I'm writing, and the other is a game. The characters are the same, but they are completely different things.

The plot: Thieves have stolen a time machine, and are running amock in history. You play Claude, a bad Private eye who was hired to catch them because they screwed up the paperwork. He has to follow them around, fixing the things they have altered - levels include Las Vegas in 2500AD, Revolutionary France and 1960's England. Claude himself lives in an American city in the 20's. He eventually catches the crims, and returns home. Great fun. The screenplay has the same plot, but a different story. I once made a version of it with really dodgy graphics, with a mate of mine. I think its still online somewhere...

nope.

After all these private-eye/detective games, I think it would be interesting to play a game where you're in on some big conspiracy or something and some detective keeps bugging you. And how about some more female main characters? April Ryan was okay, but it seemed sometimes that they were just drawing on valley-girl stereotypes.

I once had an idea for a radio-drama adventure game. The game would have no graphics at all, it would all be audio (Except for the interface whereby you actually solve the puzzles). This was basically a solution to the problem of how to make a decent amateur adventure game without spending years drawing millions of frames of animation (And the fact that I can't hardly draw). For various reasons, I just don't think text adventures "work". The audio drama medium is really great, you can do things beyond the scale or budget of the computer screen, but you can evoke some powerful images just with a background noise.

I noticed recently when playing The Longest Journey, which has some of the longest, most tedious dialogue sequences I've ever encountered in any medium, I would often tilt my head back and stare at the ceiling, since there was nothing going on on-screen anyway. Granted, that wouldn't have happened if TLJ's dialogue hadn't been so tedious, but it does serve to highlight that you don't necessarily have to be looking at graphics in an adventure game. (It also serves to highlight that more talking isn't necessarily better - I recently replayed Grim Fandango, and as an incredible contrast, most of the dialogue is quick, witty, and to the point.)

I basically abandoned the idea after I recorded some test dialogue, and discovered all my voices sound exactly the same.

The plot was a sci-fi comedy in the style of an old radio drama (It would be released episodically, reducing the long wait that's often associated with amateur games). It was called Tommy Jupiter : Space Mail -- in the future delivering the mail is a high-risk, high-glamour profession. I hadn't gotten as far as making a plot, but I'm trying to develop the idea into a novel, which I figure is easier than making an adventure game.

I wrote a graphic adventure game design once for SCRAMM. It was based on the old Disney's Duck Tales cartoon show, although it was a bit more mature. Not bloody or obscene, but it had a more serious story line. Kind of a silly idea, but I was really proud of the game design and story. It was very non-linear. The story was that Glomgold decided to ruin Scrooge McDuck forever, so he has The Beagle Boys murder his nephews. Scrooge then vows to track down Glomgold and have his revenge. There are all kinds of twists and turns along the way, including Scrooge being arrested for the murder of his nephews, Magica DeSpell obtaining the ability to become a god, the disappearance of Glomgold's former business partner, and even a journey into the depths of hell. I know it sounds really bizarre (and it is), but I thought the story was pretty interesting.

Originally posted by telarium

I wrote a graphic adventure game design once for SCRAMM. It was based on the old Disney's Duck Tales cartoon show, although it was a bit more mature. Not bloody or obscene, but it had a more serious story line. Kind of a silly idea, but I was really proud of the game design and story. It was very non-linear. The story was that Glomgold decided to ruin Scrooge McDuck forever, so he has The Beagle Boys murder his nephews. Scrooge then vows to track down Glomgold and have his revenge. There are all kinds of twists and turns along the way, including Scrooge being arrested for the murder of his nephews, Magica DeSpell obtaining the ability to become a god, the disappearance of Glomgold's former business partner, and even a journey into the depths of hell. I know it sounds really bizarre (and it is), but I thought the story was pretty interesting.

Wow... Carl Barks is rolling in his grave just about now.

Why not? Make it in AGS.

I'm working on an AGS game...

It's a comedy. The working title is "Operation: Small Business". It stars Eric Washburn, agent 8675309 for the Small Business Agency. The SBA is sort of the mafia only nicer and less shady. It protects small businesses from bankruptcy through highly illegal means.

Eric's on his first mission, which is to infiltrate Grayscale Technologies, a large office building which has been running a smaller office building out of buisiness, steal an important document and asassinate the president of Grayscale.

It's sounds like a relatively straightforward plot, but all sorts of bizarre elements come into the storyline, such as the building turning out to have been built on an Indian burial ground, and the like.

Hope I finish it! :D

Originally posted by telarium

Only one Disney Property deserves a reboot. And that is Tail Spin

Give it a more Noir feel, have more politics between Sher Kahn, Therbrea, and Cap Suzzet, show more back story about the world they live in (ex: The Great War years, why air planes are so plentaful, and does Cap Suzzet belong to a country?)

Don Karnage would get a seriose kick in pants in charicterization. he'd be the last serviving General of the counrty that started the Great War(just to note that in Tail Spin the great war was WW1 but with ww2 tech, Thermbrea and USland(usland is the country Cap Suzzet belongs to, Im not making this up this is already existing) and much of the rest of the world fought and defeated some super power (germay type place) but it was never realy explained)...back on subject. Don Karnage is working rebuild an Army of Air Pirates and defeat his countrys enemys. They prey on unsuspecting Cargo Pilots, like Baloo, for supplys.

The plot would have 3 parrelling storys running

The Baloo story about how he deals with being a cargo pilot, now he deals with his boss Rebeca Cunningham, his side kick Kit Kloudkicker, and air pirates

The Kahn story about how Sher Kahn's father misteriosly dies and Kahn is forced to take over Kahn industrys, which is the company that basily keeps Cap Suzzet running. Many feel he's not up to the task but I trys his hardest to prove them wrong.

The world in general. What kind of world is Tail Spin Set in? How does Thembrea and Usland get along? Is there a growing danger to the free world from the air pirate terrorests? Tail spin would have such a wonderfuly complex world you couln't help but love.

So I say Disney if you want to make a killing remake this show, not geared toward kids, but to people my age.

Originally posted by DODSalesManager

Howdy,

I think an adventure game spanning the first couple of books from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would be great

-DOD

GOOD idea... there is a text adventure floating around out there somewhere.....

Archived