Home

Possible Feature

Swoosh

I was thinking about this before and a recent post has pushed me into offering this up as a possible feature.

A summary of the Dark Forces and Jedi Knight stories to catch up the new players on "the story so far...". This doesn't seem like it would be too hard of a feature to create, maybe put in some screen shots, fan art, etc. Just an idea, but it seems like it would be useful.

Swoosh

Guest Krayt Tion

Hmmm, yes, the thought actually crossed my mind recently to not only do that but to use what we know of JKII to show how JKII will likely improve upon both.

Guest Krayt Tion

I can do the article. I did a rough outline at work and it looks promising. I could divide it into four installments, even. One for Dark Forces one for JK one for MotS and everything else and One for Jedi Outcast

If you don't like it, you don't have to post it, but if it doesn't get used i would turn it into a post on the forums so it doesn't go to waste.

Guest Krayt Tion

I've hit a snag already. My gaming history around the release of Dark Forces is splotchy at best. I remember wanting Blake Stone aliens of gold back in '93, I still have my DooM Shareware from '93, played Rise of the Triad in '94, DooM II in late '94 and of course Dark Forces on my 486 w/ 8MB boot disk in '95.

However, for an introduction I feel it necessary to properly establish Dark Forces' place in the FPS genre. I just need someone who played Heretic, Hexen, or System Shock to confirm my suspicions that Dark Forces really was a high-water mark for the genre (including things like massive changes in elevation gameplay...)

Then I can get things rolling again.

Guest Krayt Tion

I've been focusing a lot on features and what made all the games fun. and what it all means for the third game, and what we can expect for JO.

i think we have something different in mind. would it out of line for someone to write an article focusing on the story alone while I talk about how awesome these games where compared to everything else?

Guest Krayt Tion

Well, it seems I've taken up a more detailed approach that might be less newbie friendly. This might not be what some of you had in mind.

Here is a taste:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Through all the Forum Talk, you might have heard how Jedi Outcast continues Jedi Knight’s tradition of towering environments and “vertical game play.” Unbeknownst to many, this impressive trend was actually established in Dark Forces. You explored everything from the Dianoga-infested depths of the sewers to the deadly precipices outside imperial installations. DF simply made other FPS games feel like treks through Montana by comparison.

This distinction was partially due to the town bicycle which was the Doom 3D engine. The slews of competitor-games based on DooM and available at the release of DF were all more or less limited in environmental scope by the confines of that engine. Even our own Raven Software’s latest Doom-based FPS of the time, Hexen: Beyond Heretic, could not match the DF worlds in their towering splendor. With a vision of traversing dramatic, varying landscapes in the Star Wars universe and an engine that could back it up, the beautiful environments of Dark Forces were born. Gamers, Star Wars fans or not, were greeted with levels offering an intricacy and scope that was then rivaled by no game.

Dark Forces project leader Daron Stinnett notes, "The worlds extend out in all directions. There are elevators to take you to multiple floors, bridges over flowing water, catwalks, air shafts, and other architectural features. We wanted an active environment, so ships come and go at flight decks, rivers sweep along, platforms and conveyor belts move, and much of the machinery functions."

*DF and JK towering environ screens to be showcased here*

screen020.jpg

screen050.jpg

And what awesome environments they were. Immediately apparent to anyone that has played the game is the contrast of worlds you visit on your missions to thwart the Empire’s latest scheme. From the cool, icy-blue world of Anteevy to the passionate, dusty-red Blood Moon of Gromas, you saw it all. About the only major climate missing from DF was a temperate one that would support lush forests and heavy foliage.

*Gromas and Anteevy shots to be showcased here*

On a side note, something like that would have been hard to realistically depict in that day and age, and the same could be argued to lesser extent for Jedi Knight. Forest worlds have been notably absent from both games, but it appears Raven intends to rectify this situation this time around. Note the lush, green jungle world of Yavin 4 soon to be visited by our favorite Jedi mercenary!

Back to the topic at hand, the indoor areas of Dark Forces were no slouch either. While the number of raids on various Imperial installations meant that you encountered a lot of fittingly drab, gray colors, the game play contained within those walls was top notch. Some of the best puzzles and most challenging level advancement occurred as you attempted to bypass the impressive array of internal imp security measures. It wasn’t so much how these places looked, as it was how they were defended!

Guest Krayt Tion

This article is not going to be completed. I repeat, this article is not going to be completed by me. I've just got too much going on here, plus I do not think it is what some of you had in mind.

Don't delay in assigning someone else to the project, let's not waste any more time on thos. *slaps self with large trout*

Archived