Home

New Official Site Info (2-27-02)

simon says

I don't think it means it won't be POSSIBLE. They just mean it will run like crap. Try playing half-life or CS when everyone is on 56k, see what happens. It's crappy. If they include the server as part of "everyone," then it would be especially horrible. I think it'll be possible, just not nice. But then again, do you really want to play against 32 players with lightsabers? Isn't the idea to have 1-on-1 battles?

From my experience with DSL and a decent computer (1 GHz PIII, 256mb ram, GeForce 256), 32 players (or just really large amounts of players, like 24 or something) runs badly because there is not only too much data flowing back and forth, but there is also the issue of drawing many high-polygon players on the screen, along with their weapons, animations, etc. You can see how this would slow down a bit :)

-Syko

I use a 56k only because i live in Ortonville Michigan. We dont get cable or dsl out here. I play Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the net. I turn the graphics and all the special stuff either off or as low as they go to get decent play. I can never be a sniper because by the time i shoot the person is already down the stairs and around the corner. But overall its ok. I useto play Half-Life on the net untill i had to download a 100mgb update. and with a 56k its not worth the 2 day download. Half-Life always played ok. I could be a sniper in Team Fortress Classic, the net code they had in that game was good for 56k. When i played JK on the net i could never do well becase the lag. but I've learned to work with it so i think when i get to college next year i'll kick ass with these games because i wont have this stuff holding me back. But the games never run smoothly like they do in SP.

Archived