Home

Outcast on the Zone(2/28/02)

Guest Obi

Honestly though, JK MP was nothing like anything ever seen before. That was what made it great.

I don't think it was neccessarily uniqueness that made it great.. it was how it was put together and handled that made it great :p

The way JK2 forces are handled makes it q3 with sabers and forces.

Take a closer look at the force powers... look *beyond* force speed.. nothing remotely like this is in quake.. speed might be different.. the 3d feel JK gameplay had might be slightly different, but this does not appear to be a quake clone to me.

They really are taking away something that made JK gameplay above and beyond quake #, UR, UT, or anything else.

Yes, they removing something that made JK gameplay different from the quake #, and quake clones to some degree.. but I wouldn't pass judgement yet over whether this difference will ruin JK2 or not. The game might be slower in one respect, but who says its not going to be more difficult in other areas..

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In case you weren't being sarcastic ( ;) ), Unreal 2 has officially been delayed. I believe it was stated that the release date was pushed back from May to June 21st (?) sometime this year. Bit of a downer, but I'm willing to wait a little longer to see this extraordinary game ship.

Thanks a bunch guys, hey, I take responsiblity for us posting this. If an official from LEC/Raven/whomever comes and asks us to remove it, we will, but they likely won't (I'm betting) since the proverbial "cat" is already out of the proverbial "bag."

If anyone is to blame for "leaking" this info, it's the guys over at the MSN Gaming Zone for posting it, and we should leave it at that.

This isn't like when TFN posted scans of the magazine article, this is a public link anybody could have found if they looked hard enough.

Very nice, although many details are left out (such as counters to some of the powers/weapons, mana cost, etc).

It sounds a lot like the JK powers have been tweaked to be more like a "best of collection" of stuff from recent FPS games (Deus Ex, Half Life, Aliens Vs. Predator, Elite Force, etc).

It will take some getting used to for those of us used to JK/MotS (but maybe less so for those used to the other FPS's, though it's still new). We'll all be newbies again, and we'll learn.

As far as the old schoolers and WD_Torment, though I do not share all of their views, I do have a high level of respect for the previous games in the series, and will treasure the fun I had playing them and figuring out all the details. As the mod community is SURE to be huge for this game, I would actively encourage these guys to come up with ways to re-create some of that "old magic" on the new engine. That way everybody wins...

Personally I'm wondering if there's any way to balance out mine use with the Force. In JK you could use seeing and speed to help you avoid mines, but here, who knows? And how visible will those blue lasers be on the trip mines? Can mines be stuck on any surface? That sort of thing needs looking into. I suppose you could make seeing put an aura around the mines for example (if there isn't already).

Kurgan

WD_ToRMeNt, it you are talking about constant everlasting speed at 100kph as being the only thing that separates it from other fps, I'll be happy to see it fall in line with the others.

IMO, the way force powers were done was the 3rd weakest part of JK (after netcode and saber control). I know that there is no way i can convince you that JK's force powers were outragously unbalenced, because you have spent so long playing the game you can't imagine anything that is fun, original and balenced without thinking of how JK does it. I don't blame you for this, as it has happened to me before.

Go watch the Star Wars movies, or play some different games, and then come back to these forums with an open mind. Just because it isn't JK doesn't mean its not good.

wow...*drooling*

I am glad I finally got my answers about force seeing. Great stuff. I am content for another couple of days. I don't know about a demo tomorrow, but I do know that there has been to much talk in the the forums about it. Every time I come in, there is someone debating whether there is going to be a demo...Just let it go, if there is...there is.

Clue 1

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/outcast/html/demo.html

doesn't have that weird http 404 that comes up..it has "done" at the bottem of the screen.

Clue 2

Lucasarts love demos and loves to get more and more people to buy their stuff.

Clue 3 for or against

MSN zone has the page up....but that could mean anything. They could just be getting it ready.

Clue against...raven doesn't seem to happy to make one right now. (though they could be lying and really have one ready)

clue against

lucasarts has been withhelding information about the plot. Sure they give us tid bits and updates..but they are little things. Guns, force powers..screen shots of lightning over and over. Trailer that shows game play...but they havn't given us dates or a plot. I know some don't want plots before a game. But most games give what a game is going to be about. Why are they holding it back? what is the suprise going to be? It isn't a movie, it will be worth playing if i know who the end boss is or not. I don't know if a demo would give away a plot...the MotS demo just had the first level that we fought. I know it was atleast one level..the first one. Which I was happy to reply when the real game came out.

I say just take the clues (there are many more and i am sure you could argue against what I said) and just take from it what you can. And lets stop talking about demo stuff. They know we want one.

I hope i am coming across right. I am not meaning to make fun or put anyone down, there is just more stuff that we can talk about..isn't there? I don't know..maybe not....plus, everything points to march..so why is april even an issue for release date? The stores say april...but who knows. Why would lucasarts say March in all the trailers?

But again, awesome information Indy..thanks. I will be dreaming about throwing my saber through an ewok...

lucasarts has been withhelding information about the plot. Sure they give us tid bits and updates..but they are little things. Guns, force powers..screen shots of lightning over and over. Trailer that shows game play...but they havn't given us dates or a plot.
a multiplayer demo wont have any plot either. :fett:

Let me reiterate that I am NOT passing judgement on JK2 at this time. I will not be able to do so until the full game is playable on my pc. ; )

While I am very excited about some aspects of it, and less excited about others, I plan to give it the same fair shake that I gave JK and MotS, and hopefully it won't disapoint.

I do have a feeling though, that overall, it may not so much be "Better" than JK/MotS (except with regards to technology, like graphics and netcode), but "Different."

And different isn't necessarily good or bad, it's a matter of personal taste and application.

And as mentioned before, with editing (which surely will be very similar to Q3 editing), we can modify the game to our liking.

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

Behold JK2, the q3 totall conversion.

Wow, you are really pretty judgemental for someone who hasn't even played the game yet. Hey, I have an idea for you, why don't you make a JK1 Total Conversion?

From Vagabond: Cut the insults, Sifl. Thank you.

And, yes, you could easily write a "script" in Q3 that would press the force speed button every 5 seconds. If you're that addicted to speed, why not just up the g_speed cvar?

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Broode

WD_ToRMeNt, it you are talking about constant everlasting speed at 100kph as being the only thing that separates it from other fps, I'll be happy to see it fall in line with the others.

No, I never said that speed was the only thing.

From Vagabond: Cut the insults, WD_ToRMeNt. Thank you.

Speed is one of many thing that combined to make JK, when taken to extremes in FF, faster and more complicated then anything else.

To the experts, JK FF was a chess game at mach 2.

<font color=cbcbff> I actually love what they've done with the force. It minimizes cheap tactics and increases the need for skill to win. It is not skill when the game turns into a war of cheap tactics. No matter how good you are at them. Excellent with the speed. More realistic, since it has to be exhausting using the force to move like that. And as mentioned above, no more stalemate tactics running at your opponent and trying to hit them, then running away like a coward. Excellent work by Raven.

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

Originally posted by Broode

No, I never said that speed was the only thing. Speed is one of many thing that combined to make JK, when taken to extremes in FF, faster and more complicated then anything else.

To the experts, JK FF was a chess game at mach 2.

frankly chess with only one usable peice (the conc rifle was the only thing worth a damn in ff) is quite boring frankly. i enjoyed ff alot. but the repetative nature of the gameplay bored me to death after awhile. well that and tribes stole me away ;):fett:

<font color=cbcbff> Well said, Rebel. Any game is fun if you win all the time. I remember outlawing the conc rifle a few times so people in the game would focus on the other weapons. I can't stand cheapfests.

obi that was a flaw of the net code more than anything really.

but yes....it got repetative. just make a mod to change the default speed to ultra fast with 5x height jumps and one gun. thats more or less what ff guns devolved into.

again mostly the fault of the netcode.

<font color=cbcbff> Actually, I suppose you are right. If the netcode would have been better, it would have been easier to hit someone with a weapon that didn't have splash damage. Come to think of it, it was downright challenging to kill effectively with any of the other weapons. I wonder if the bowcaster will win the "most usless" award for Jedi Outcast as it did in JKI.

<font color=cbcbff> Other than the lightsaber, I'm sure I'll prefer the Golan Arm's Flechette launcher. It's a SW shotgun. I've been a boomstick man since the Doom® days.

<font color=cbcbff> I would die laughing if I heard Kyle scream something like "Come get some!" or "Let god sort 'em out!" as he pumps his Golan Arms Flechette launcher.

Originally posted by Obi

<font color=cbcbff> I would die laughing if I heard Kyle scream something like "Come get some!" or "Let god sort 'em out!" as he pumps his Golan Arms Flechette launcher.

LOL!! Good stuff :)

Torment, if ya dont like the way the game plays, go play something else. Theres no point in sticking around if your not going to enjoy yourself whilst playing.

Everyones entitled to opinions, but when you make rash judgements, you open yourself to debate.

People like mariners2001, you need to chill out.

Theres no demo coming. Raven said it. At least until the full version is done. Anything before that is up to LA. There are zero hints of a demo. So please stop banging on the demo and let em finish the full game.

I guess the chat tonight will settle it for once and for all.

And btw, its March 1st. Why push for a demo now that the full game is so close?

Archived