Home

Unofficial transcript of Raven chat...

StormHammer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Krayt Tion

:thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time, StormHammer.

Can't say I appreciate responses like they gave to your question here:

StormHammer: Having seen the recent video footage...why do some of the enemies fly across the room when hit by the lightsaber?

Kenn H: It looks cool!

Simple enough, sure, except everyone knows the real reason that was asked is because we think they are avoiding dismemberment by using the lightsaber as a powerful baseball bat. I bet they knew this too, and it would have been nice if we could see it answered straight up. Answers given that emphasize that they are in a position of power and hint at the questions being silly get on my nerves.

Kevin S: There is some difference in the scale of the characters, but they are all pretty much 'humanoid' in size.

Kenn H: I'll bet modders could find a way to get Yoda in there.

Can't say I enjoy the 'We don't have it but you can mod it!' answers that cover up for lack of a sensible thing. We can mod lots of things but that has jack didly to due with what you should (if I can so say without being arrogant) be providing us. :)

StormHammer: Will the environments include weather effects such as rain, snow, wind and slippery ice?

Kenn H: There are environmental effects like Rain and Fog, yes...

I hope those aren't all the effects. Why do I get the feeling that these weren't just examples picked from a larger group of effects?

Finally, I'm never satisfied with chats like these, and that might always be the case. It is just the way of things. :) I don't think JO is headed on a downward spiral or anything. And I'd rather have a mediocre chat than none at all.

hmmm, yes, i am betting it will be canyon oasis. if they didnt do it, there would be a EU version out within days....

I am also betting that it won't take long for someone to make empire nightclub either.

and their staying power will be doomed to failure if they dont release a linux server... should release binaries for a client also in fact, as I'm sure there are plenty of quakin linux geeks who would love to play jk2 on their fav OS. but at the very least, they need a linux server, as most servers that can be hosted as dedicated on nice phat pipes run off of linux.

or do they think we should be doomed to small games on cable modems? bleh.

kev

JK2 is EU. Boba Fett lives in the EU. Nuff said.

Their disrespect for EU/official traits is rather disturbing...like lack of saber shadows, etc...not that it'll make much difference ingame, since at least it looks like they picked up books like the Guide to Weapons and Technology...but the attitude is still worrying...

I thought Kenn H was an EU fan...

Originally posted by Rat Boy

It's possible that Boba Fett died and still showed up in Dark Empire. Once we all see Episode 2 we'll see why...

Or maybe it's Jodo Kast.

No, it isn't. I forget the name of the book, but Fett escaping the Sarlacc was described. His armor protected him long enoguh to get out. Thusly, it's not Jodo Kast. As for Episode Two...

---SPOILERS---

Boba Fett is the only clone who ages normally. So it is not one of the other clones of Jango Fett from Ep 2.

I'd call that entire short story into question after the whole "Jaster Mareel" angle got thrown out the window with AOTC. Might be another example of the legend of Boba Fett...

...speaking of legends, Boba must have done far more interesting stuff than Jango, since you never "heard" of Jango before.

:fett::jango:

Originally posted by Rúmil

Leave it to Kenn Hoekstra to say clauses likes 'It looks cool!' and 'There's much gonk abuse to be had' in an interview. :rolleyes: Comic relief, ai menu!

Another name Medic?

i think you have the most account on LucasForum... :D:lol:

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

Argh! I wish they'd screen these people. I mean really, why does there have to be 4 questions on saber colour? Seems like many questions were wasted and we ended up learning almost nothing.

Totally....half of those questions were already answered on the lucasarts website. These people are presumably fans of the game and have at least visited the official site once or twice.

(I do it 30 times a day)

Bah.. only thing these guys are forgetting is that Kyle Katarn and Dark Forces are PART OF THE EU and like it or not.. in the EU Boba Fett lives (or at least somebody in his armor.. hehe).

That said, they are basically just making it up as they go along, and that's perfectly fine. Makes sure it isn't predictable. The part about "no blood in star wars" and "this is a T rated game" as we know, aren't 100% either.

Just picking some nits... ; )

Arrrggg, we're stuck with the boring blue saber, noooo!

jk2force.jpg

Not exactly

The demo doesnt need to be recorded on CDs, put into boxes and sent to the stores.

They can go gold, then make the demo and release it for download before the game is available

Technically they still need demo discs for magazines, but I'm sure the mags will burn those themselves. LEC/Raven can just distribute the big files and leave it at that. Plus they can grab stuff directly from the full game, so a demo should go pretty quickly once the game is done. The question is, will the demo hit the servers before the game itself hits the shelves? But, even if the game hits the shelves first, it's still a good idea to do a demo, for those who don't buy the game right away, but want a sampling of the gameplay first before they shell out the dough.

Guest X-Vector
Originally posted by Kurgan

The question is, will the demo hit the servers before the game itself hits the shelves?

No, the question is, do you really think LEC/Raven will upload a demo that close to the release of the full game?

Typically, there is at least 2 weeks 'clearance' either way (before or after) between demo and game.

Kenn H: We're looking at all of out options for a demo right now. It's going to depend on our production schedule and how our dev team is going to be divided up after JK2 goes gold. We're still looking at everything and we'll make a decision and go from there soon.

This very definitely suggests that the decisions about the contents of the demo and the time of its release will be taken some time after going gold.

It also suggests that creating such a demo entails a bit more than just have one guy slap a couple of levels together and dump it on an upload server ("It's going to depend on our production schedule and how our dev team is going to be divided up after JK2 goes gold.").

PLEASE no spoilers. No mention of spoilers. No discussion of spoilers. No "highlight to read" spoilers either. PLEASE.

As to the chat: why didn't anyone ask about the extent of modding? The capabilities of the ICARUS2 scripting system? Are weapons/items modifiable/addable? That's what I wanted to know more than anything else...

Originally posted by StormHammer

Question 44

Atomicone: How often will we see time slow down as the camera orbits the fighting players? Can we make it do this? At what points is it most likely for this to happen?

Kenn H: You can turn that on and off in the menus.

[/b]

^Now that sounds cool :D

In response to those who are asking why other serious questions were not asked...the simple fact is that they were, but those in charge of the discussion decided not to pass them on to the development team, so they did not appear as part of the discussion. I know that I asked every question I could find in the Chat with Raven thread, and some more of my own, but they were simply ignored or overlooked. I think a few people were disgruntled by this, and so started to ask less serious questions...which were passed through to the development team.

There may also have been some parameters laid down before-hand regarding the types of questions the development team would be willing to answer...

At least we got a few more tidbits of information, and to be honest, I don't really expect anything more from these chat events. Some of the answers didn't impress me either...but at least we had some answers to chew on. ;)

The real proof, as always, will be in the actual gameplay - and it still looks like they are on schedule for a March release.

I came in 5 minutes before the chat ended :(

Anyway regarding the "No we don't want pre-jk2 timeline characters in MP" crunk... I don't have much of a problem with that since I ALWAYS play as a storm trooper :D

And I don't think this chat wasn't helpful at all, it was certainly a nice gathering of info before JK2 comes out.

Cheers ;)

Originally posted by Ulic Quel Droma

madrebel: Will there be a Boba Fett model/skin in the MP game?

Kenn H: No Boba Fett. He died in Jedi and this is 12 years later...

WRONG

boba fett didnt die he survived and even met a jedi while in that thing, theres a whole book about how he escapes and stuff.:o

You took the words right outts my mouth.;)

Archived