Home

A few choice words regarding the current trend in JK2 Elitism.

JZA

Originally posted by JZA

However, game-specific skills, such as bunny-hopping in halflife, force jumping in jedi knight, and intimate knowledge of lag are GAME-SPECIFIC skills. Everyone knows how to use the W/S/A/D keys to move; but I seriously doubt your movement technique in q3 will help you in JK. HOW you move is important; not just the fact that you CAN.

Please, use some common sense.

If you would just stop and read the previous posts, and stop over analyzing it, youd see that was the original point in the first place. Not once was it ever said game specific sense, just common everyday stuff to online fps's, gamer stuff.

Use more than common sense there please.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know there is a huge difference between games ya know ...

For instance JK and MotS ...

same engine, same characters... but !!! different Force powers and weapons ...

if you were to be a very good FF Gunner at JK you may have some real trouble playing against a good FF Gunner from MotS .. and visa versa ofcourse.

the only thing that will be the same are the NF Sabz games ...

So you see even with the same Engine but different factors the game will be hard to adept.

So what do you think a combo between Q3 and JK make you think you have a first strike in JK2 ????

the only gamers you might have an advantage to are 12-year-old kids wich have just learned how to restart their pc.

and now for something completely different

61.jpg

Guys if you have played Quake2 you can play JK2. A FPS is a FPS. So you have force powers, that will prolly be the only thing making this game unique.

It will be similiar to Q2, Q3, Heretic2 and EF.

You all havent mentioned who is actually making the game.

Raven Software.

And if history proves me right it will feel very familiar to anyone that has played any of the games I mentioned above.

Period.

Yes we will all be n00bs to a degree, but it will not be a drastic as some of you make it seem.

EF is Quake 3 with a ST theme and different weapons oh and it is slower.

Thats it.

They are both GREAT games, but very similiar. And if there is one thing that Raven knows how to do it is FPS.

So stop the trash talking and the analyzing and all the other monkey doo doo.

Get ready for a hell of a game.

[QB]the only gamers you might have an advantage to are 12-year-old kids wich have just learned how to restart their pc. [QB]

Hey when I was 12 people were paying me to make them some damn fine websites, and that's when I built my first computer, damn you! Although now all these computers are coming out that were made for idiots, and so the young'ns will have no computer knowledge.

But anyway biocyte, if force powers are the "only thing different from quake 3," then we're in for one ****ty game. When in quake 3 does a guy speed past you and cut your throat open with a lightsaber? In quake 3 are you aiming when the gun is ripped from your hands? What about being strangled by invisible hands? Force powers aren't just little assets of the game, try to play without using them and prepare to get your ass owned...

I only have a few things to say here.

First of all, I hope against hope that the very fact that so many people from so many DIFFERENT FPS backgrounds are interested in JO will mean that there will be a few more intelligent players to interact with on the Zone.

Secondly, as an ex-'elite' JK gunner, I can say that a large amount of the viciousness seen in the JK community is the result of people desperately clinging to the allure of playing in the Star Wars universe whilst being forced - due to general community apathy and game dynamics issues - to play a very limited array of styles and levels.

Either you were a nf/ff saberist in BGJ, a ff gunner in Canyone Oasis or a nf gunner in Ji Oasis. I thought that, JZA, that your whole chaos theory/muscle memory theory was rather good at explaining the processes going on in mastering these maps.

Even though we all inherently rebelled against the idea of playing the EXACT same map over and over and over again, we kept going. Obviously frustration levels and 'elitism' deriving from not wanting to accept failure after 3 YEARS of playing the same level contributed to this viciousness.

Thirdly, I think somehow that JO will be different. Of COURSE we're going to have the requisite number of very very immature individuals crowding the servers.

HOWEVER, the fact that the game will have a strong following BOTH on the Zone AND on other server-services like Gamespy etc will ensure that there isn't quite the same level of intense, warping focus that resulted in JK.

If you get sick and tired of the inane banter going on at Zone HQ, all you have to do is fire up the in-game browser and away you go...very nice...Of course, if you just want a bit of a chat with other JO's, you can drop into the Zone...Nice balance if you ask me.

=)

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

That's one reason I had no respect for NF sabs. No aim, no item timing, didn't have to press many buttons, was horribly dependant on lag. A FFer or a NF gunner should take to jk2 easier then a saberist.

*laughs* So you're saying someone who always uses Guns is going to be better then then someone who always uses sabers?

<sarcasm> OF COURSE THATS TRUE BECAUSE OF THIS

1. Sabers take NO timing and NO tactics

2. Sabers you dont need to strafe jump and swing then spin and hit the other guy trying to slash your back while theres another guy gripping you.

</sarcasm>

Get smart man...Guns wont carry over to Sabers...remember there are two different parts to this game, you cant just say the Gunners will be good, because likely all they'll be good at is guns.

JK newbie STFU and listen...

Sabs in JK will be nothing like sabs in JK2 because of the way q3 handles lag. It was completey dependant on the way jk handled lag and JK2 will handle lag in the opposite way. The ONLY real skill in NF sabs was knowing that lag, and that won't carry over one bit into JK2 because the netcode is opposite of JK

And face it little boy, in JK sabs there was no aim, no item control, no timing, and no multitasking, only a couple buttons and it was slow as hell. Most people played NF sabs because it was easier. Guns and FF required all of the NF sabs skills and more. When a NF saberist got into a game of FF of NF guns he got analed hard.

I became and expert at NF sabs even though i didn't play it much. I learned to use saber at much higher speeds in FF BGJ. When I played NF it was very easy for me. I also got decent at NF guns without playing it much because I have awsome aim from playing FF. I could also time vest very well.

Torment, How might you know so much about the gameplay when its not out yet? You're a little assuming freak. I think of you as a 300 lb. chunkster who sits at home saying I'm elite in his fat-striken lisped never goes out of the house voice. **** you man. and **** all of you Except Spiffy and JZA, the only ****ing people who have sense around here. I'm gone from here, you people are impossible and too stuck up in themselves to learn things. You claim you're not mean to newbies and you're so nice then you call me "JK Newbie" You're a little walking contradiction aren't you? Think before you post little *****, Thats all I have to say, I'm leaving these forums forever unless spiffy ****ing persuades me to come back.

*flips his finger up at everyone*

What Torment is saying about the game is what we know from Q3. Q3 netcove operates on a model of dedicated servers. your ping determines how fast you fire after you have pressed the fire key. Whereas JK did not use dedicated servers, your ping determined how far ahead you were on the screen versus your visual representation. Anyone who has played any game with dedicated servers vs JK can make the same statement about the game play. Either way "DarthMaul," it is quite apparent that you do not know what you are talking about.

As far as the Zone is concerned: The Zone was a cesspool of garbage. Given that JK2 will be supported by Gamespy, I doubt you will find anyone there, except for newbies and power-abusive sysops. Most of the clans, to my knowledge, will be in IRC.

So this mean the group hug is out?

oh, and personnal note to DarthMaul. I got my Redneck online translator, so I think we can all finally communicate with you. let me paste in the results:

Hey ******! Wuz up little ****. Ain't **** for brains inda house! Say we ****ing Blow this ****ing ****house and go ****ing raid another ****ing useless ****ing forum?! Dude, ****ed up I tell you. I'm gonna ****ing tear these noobs a new ***!Duuuude!!!

JK...

I wasn't telling you how JK2 gameplay would be, but I gave you facts on the differance between JK and JK2 netcode. From this we can make a few assumptions. I also told you know you already know but don't want to admit; you played NF because it was easy and you couldn't handle anything else.

Listen, the day you can beat me in FF JK is the day I'll actually listen to your thoughts. Before that however they're nothing but newbie misundstandings. I've played with many of the best on the zone and got very damn good myself. You on the other hand managed to learn absolutely nothing. Your opinion isn't worth anything.

Eh, it's easy compared to other divisions of JK though. No aim, no item timing, fewer buttons, slower paced, no map blah blah blah I get tired of writing this. I guess you could call warping a skill but that's a lag thing :p The dominating factor is NF sabs is the lag and I know you know that. Skill only goes so far when your opponent is warping all over the map and has a ping of 500+

Well, on the whole Quake 3 thing it'll be different. I've been playing Zelda 64 for Nintendo 64 these past 2 days because I've not been at school cause of the car accident I was in. Anyways, Zelda 64 runs off the Mario 64 engine yet the two games are totally different. Which is the same thing in the Jedi Outcast v. Quake3 case. Oh and since Jedi Outcast will be on Zone does that make it slow even though the netcode is different?

Originally posted by WD_ToRMeNt

Eh, it's easy compared to other divisions of JK though. No aim, no item timing, fewer buttons, slower paced, no map blah blah blah I get tired of writing this. I guess you could call warping a skill but that's a lag thing :p The dominating factor is NF sabs is the lag and I know you know that. Skill only goes so far when your opponent is warping all over the map and has a ping of 500+

Well lag is something you have to learn to work with, but it isn't the *sole* most important factor in NF sabers.

I've played both divisions, although I never put in the time neccessary to get FF tactics down to reflex due my pc limitations and my being bored of JK by the time I got a decent PC. While FF sabers/guns had additional factors to account for, nf sabers was just as difficult to master in some of the key aspects. The pace of the game isn't neccessarily something that makes it more difficult. Once you get used to the pace of speed, force speed/jump combos, etc. FF isn't neccesarily more difficult to keep up as NF sabers. The largest factors that made it more difficult, once you got used to the accelerated pace of the game, was the additional attack options and the timing in your head while playing.

hmm zone's still gonna be peer to peer? hmm The NF saberstyle will then look a bit like old JK1, timing the ping, etc. NF saberists will love this, all others will hate this style of "gaybers" ;).

I'm just happy about Zone, because this way I can still play my Australian friends, and people with 56K will also go to Zone when they can't find a good dedicated server.

It'll be laggy as hell sometimes, but hey.. at least they can play it.. and people got used to JK1's lag too. :p

I got ADSL.. im gonna play guns on dedicated servers and sabers at zone.. :p i think.. ill see... If JK2 sux, then I won't play it at all.. there's always RTCW and SOF2 will be coming out too.

It doesnt matter what the zone is, the Q3 engine is client server based. If some one hosts on the zone, he will have a ping of 0 (duh, ping with himself) and everyone else will have a ping of >0. NF sabs will not be the same. The zone may be able to display dedicated servers like GS. If they don't then no one who knows anything about online gaming would use it. Most people outside of the JK community will use IRC or GS regardless.

I know exactly what the zone is, it's a matchmaking service. It can NOT change the netcode of a game. Ever play Q2 on the zone? A client-server based game is STILL a c-s based game zone or not. Zone or not, every player in a game of JK2 (read client) will have a connection with no one BUT the host (read server) and the one true state of the game is held on the server. In jk everyone has a connection with everyone else and each has a slightly differant state of the game world.

JK2 will not be peer to peer like JK. The Q3 engine has been and will always be client-server. Most of the NF saberists (the ones who depend on warp and lag) are in for a nasty suprise.

Archived