Home

Batsaber (aka Lightbat)

digl

Do you like this effect?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this effect?

• Its cool! I love it!
    • I don't care
    • It's ridiculous! remove it or tune it down!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well without playing the game you actually cant tell how good or bad it is..........if you judged the graphics from the trailer then you would go on about that. Anyway, the saber battles make up for it by far.....and a way round it, make the game for an 18+ audience which Raven dont want to do OBVIOUSLY.

Definately seems akward. Why not have the guys just die infront of you? Instead they fly across the room when hit by the suddenly-mack-truck-esque-sabre. And other times, limbs will come off? So what does this mean for MP; if I get hit by the sabre will I go halfway across the universe? that makes for a weird sabre duel. Or maybe what we are seeing is just the highest level sabre swing. I suppose only time will tell.

its ok, as long as it isn't totally overdone. (and as long as they don't start doing it in the movies....)

they really should tone down the distance that they fly, and the amount of backflip that they go through though.

<font color=cbcbff> I think we are all missing the point, or atleast getting the wrong one. It <i>does</i> look very cool when Kyle flings people that far. But it is also <i>not</i> realistic to the properties of a sword that cuts through anything, least of all a body. It also <i>would</i> get annoying if that happened all the time. Maybe it's understandable if that only happens in the strong stance. Either way, I voted to tune the thing down some.

Originally posted by Obi

[b ......Maybe it's understandable if that only happens in the strong stance. Either way, I voted to tune the thing down some. [/b]

What Obi said is true. U also must take into account Kyle might have been in the powerful fighting stance, which is the most aggressive. That could be the reason why the saber looked like it batted him away. Since they did say, in a review, u gain usage of different fighting stances throughout the game.

It doesnt make sense anyway, a stronger slash would only cut through easier

I know we probably wont get obi against maul like cuts, but leaving it like JK would be better than adding this cool looking but nothing to do with a lightsaber effect

First of all, if all we're going to do is add "cool" things to Jedi Outcast, then why not add Godzilla<sup>TM</sup> to the game? What's that? Because it doesn't belong in Star Wars you say? Well, neither does the saber-bat.

Looking "cool" - which is debatable - is not a reason to add something to a Star Wars game. This is my right-brained response.

My left-brain says, as has already been stated here, that a lightsaber would not, should not behave as a club. It cuts through things. It doesn't impart kinetic energy :rolleyes:

Personally, I have no problem with bodies flying everywhere...if you are using something like Force Push. Yes, that would look great, flinging your enemies around like rag dolls using the Force. :)

But flying across the room when struck by a lightsaber? :rolleyes: I'm sorry, but I think it looked silly and totally unrealistic. As others have stated, none of the movies showed this kind of effect...and none of the previous games. It simply does not fit the context of what we have grown to believe the lightsaber can do.

Enemies tumbling head over heels when struck by the lightsaber does not really fit in either. If you slice at your opponent's legs, you expect the legs to fall off...not the guy to do a complete somersault. If this kind of thing is the standard throughout the game, then it is more inclined to make me stop using the lightsaber, rather than use it more.

I would prefer enemies simply to crumple to the ground, with an appropriate pain skin showing the level of damage. I have to agree that the lightsaber's effect has become more like a club than a weapon of finesse, with the ability to cut through solid matter. :(

Utlimately I will have to play the game through, and judge it on it's merits. There will obviously be some things I don't like, and some things I feel are great. Knocking Stormtroopers across the room with a lightsaber will be one of the things I will really grow to despise, unless the effect has been toned down a lot. I can only hope that if such features are kept in the final build that a decent mod crew somewhere on the planet can come up with something to fix it.

I care... and right now the "lightbat" sucks. It looks ridiculously stupid. If lightsabers knock things back, then so should lasers! I mean, wouldn't it look 'cool' if you shot somebody with the stormtrooper rifle and they got knocked back 50 feet? :rolleyes:

It looks like Kyle's hitting somebody with a solid object. It should cut through them, or at least they should just fall over.

Guest Krayt Tion

You know what else is cool? Talking Dogs. Let's put one in.

And now, I'd like to present Kyle Katarn on the set of The Warriors.

Gang Leader: "We're going to break those fools!. Everyone get some gear, this ain't gonna be fisticuffs only. The Sharks want weapons."

Rocco: "Got me this chain."

Vinny: "Lead pipe biyatch!"

*Kyle Katarn wips out saber*

Rocco: "What the hell is dat?"

Gang Leader: "We can't be using no weapons like that, it ain't right. We beat 'em and stab 'em, we ain't about slicing their arms off!"

Kyle: "Chill out guys. It's just like bat, only it glows a bit."

Shinner: "Just like my Louisville Slugger, damn straight!"

Gang Leader: "On to the fight boys!"

<font color=cbcbff> You know what is puzzling? Usually, when we rip on something of the realism/game sort, ChangKhan or Kenn will come in here and do something to justify it. For example, that huge lightsaber glow ordeal.

This case is not unlike it, yet there is no response from Raven.

This leads me to believe that there is something they know, that we don't and that we are complaining about something that isn't even an issue.

Conclusion?

There is a chance that they turned dismemberment off for that video. Reasons being that:

- They thought it would "look cool" to the general public seeing the stormtroopers fly 50 feet in a fast-paced action movie.

- They didn't want to show the dismemberment because it's simply so cool that they wanted it to be a surprise in the game.

-They didn't want to show the dismemberment for fear of discouraging any parents from buying the game for their children.

-It has been said repeadedly that atleast arms, hands and probably legs too will be seperable from their owners. Yet in that video, people are whacked with the lightsaber left and right in the arms and legs and not a thing flies loose. The same holds true in the official screenshots. There is only one screenshot where an arm is visible flying off of a stormtrooper and I don't believe it's on the lucasarts sponsored site.

I think that Raven are sitting back in their padded armchairs and laughing at us because they cherish things like this as secrets about the game that we haven't figured out yet or that we are totally wrong about. Which is fun for them because we are very persistant and get our claws into some things that we aren't supposed to. Like the....zone site.....(sorry Raven/LEC.)

Another thing, Aristotle has seen the game, as well as other representatives of jediknightii.net. Do you honestly think that they are any less geeky than we are and that they would have been satisfied if the lightbat was truly the case? Perhaps they will be able to shed some light.

Are we all forgetting about Return of the jedi? Well since we obviously are, ill remind you that luke was batting people around in rotj, and they were flying back quite a bit, maybe not AS much as in JO we've seen but.. they where. So why does it seem to bother everyone? Just cause episode 1 had shiny droids being torn apart and people being stabbed/sliced in half? Well unfortunately in this world we censor everything, so we cant have this in a video game or church going mothers around the world will unite and try to stop this game from releasing on to shelfs. Aside from insane scenarios with mothers protesting.. raven cleary stated they wanted a t rating (maybe thats lec speaking for raven) so they couldnt do those kinds of cuts and stabs like seen in The phantom menace. I personally look forward to mods that will implement this well, instead of just constantly complaining about it, cause we all need a little episode1 slice and dice magic sometimes ;)

LoL Krayt...

Final bad guy, with bottles on his fingers:

Jeeeeeeediiiiiii, come out and playaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

As far as not showing dismemberment endangering the Teen Rating, that's patently ridiculous.

JK and MotS had dismemberment, both were rated Teen. TPM had dismemberment, and it was rated Teen.

In fact, there exist some Teen rated games that show BLOOD, so how is that even a factor?

Being able to cut off somebody's arm in MP is not something that would push the rating to "Mature."

If LEC/Raven wants this game to be more lighthearted and less "gruesome" than JK, MotS, or TPM, that's fine, it's their property, and their perrogative, but I don't find that kind of reasoning, well... reasonable.

Bat saber?!?!?!? huh??, im lost....

anyway, i think i know what your talking about, personally whats the big deal? some guy jolts back from the pressure of the lightsaber striking, i didn't say it was cool, but its not that important......geez....:rolleyes:

Twinmold watch the trailers...then you will understand...

Obi as you said usually Raven people clarify this things, If they dont Its probably because they cant clarify it

Or maybe they have not visited the forums lately, but I doubt it, because the complains about this started just after the chat, and they probably read the forums to know what we thaught of the chat

Raven guys...are you there? Answer our prayers :)

Guest Krayt Tion
Final bad guy, with bottles on his fingers:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeeeeeeediiiiiii, come out and playaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ahaha!

Archived