Home

What was your first RPG experience/game?

I'm just curious what started all of you people playing RPGs, especially your first computer RPG experience.

I'll kick it off with....

Eye Of The Beholder II

This was the first RPG I ever played.

A friend of mine installed this on my PC one day (a looong time ago ;) ), and being a table-top RPGer of old, he started explaining the mechanics to me, we set up a party, and started dungeoneering. For the time, the graphics were done very well, and the game captured my imagination - so much so, that I believe I had a number of different parties with different characters, etc., going at the same time. It was more like a co-op game, because my friend and I kept debating which way to go, which spell to use, and took turns at the controls. I still occasionally play it now (it's still installed on my hard disk), and in spite of the dated graphics, interface, etc., it's still enjoyable.

So, what got you people started? :)

Why should we laugh? I've only just got Baldur's Gate myself... :D

I've always been put off by the birds-eye-view...but seeing it was on a budget release with the expansion Tales Of The Sword Coast, I decided to bite the bullet and try it out.

I'm still not fond of the perspective...but from what I've played of it so far, it seems like a decent game. :)

well i fell out of place now my first rpg game was a d&d game... Shortly after that i started dming game.

But the first computer based rpg i played was... umm... bgII or was in dabloII... nope i got it is was a really old game on commador 64. So old i can't remeber the name of it.

Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy

This will be my first full-version RPG (unless something else comes along between now and sometime next year :rolleyes: )

Well, unless they are seriously delayed, you might want to take a look at Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege...or if you prefer 1st person perspective (like me), then Morrowind and Arx Fatalis should be out this year as well. Of course, those are all fantasy-themed - there don't seem to be very many SF PC RPG's released (I think the last one was Anachronox - still have to get the full version of that game). There are rumours of a Fallout 3 in the works, but I have no idea of the engine...and I've only played the (short) demo of the original game.

I think Knights could kick-start more interest in offline SF RPG's on the PC, and hooray to that. :)

Guest Krayt Tion

First RPG was probably... Gauntlet on the Nintendo in the late eighties? Does that even count?

I'm primarily a DooM Generation PC Gamer... first rpg I played must have been an FPS/RPG based on the DooM engine called Strife. There is probably something else, I'm just forgetting.

I used to be just a hardcore FPS man, but I've come to prefer hybrid genres as of late. The really great games lately seem to me to be ones that really toss the genres in a blender- including of course the RPG element in that mix.

Deus Ex springs to mind.

Hmmm, Legend of Zelda on SNES. Still one of my favourite games of all-time.

Other than that, I played Diablo for a while. I recently bought Icewind Dale on budget too, as I heard it was more action and a little shorter than BG. Perfect for me. =)

Deus Ex is also an excellent game, I love it. We need some news on the sequel soon though... ;)

• 3 years later...

My first RPG would be Deus Ex, whose demo I got in a computer magazine CD. The demo was awesome, so I bought the game and never, ever regretted it. Deus Ex is definitely one of the few great games in the industry. It was one of the few to merge the RPG and FPS genre together, to make a spectacular and unforgettable game.

My first real RPG was Golden Sun for the GBA. It was a pure RPG game and definitely one of the best, alongside Diablo, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy etc. Golden Sun was fun and had a deep storyline, which was obivously inspired by a lot of anime series. Golden Sun and it's sequel, Golden Sun: The Lost Age are definitely two of the greatest.

Archived