Home

What was your first RPG experience/game?

Interesting bump of a three year old thread, or was it just "recovered" from the crash?

Anywhom, my first RPG was D&D. (yes, with pen and papper) We weren't to serious about it, though. We made a character names "Wiz the Wizard" who had an affinity for electric fences. (the idiocy of youth...hehehe)

My first video game RPG would probably be Fallout 2. I got it for $10 with Fallout 1. The game rocked! I still play it from time to time.

Hmmm, Legend of Zelda on SNES. Still one of my favourite games of all-time.

Other than that, I played Diablo for a while. I recently bought Icewind Dale on budget too, as I heard it was more action and a little shorter than BG. Perfect for me. =)

Deus Ex is also an excellent game, I love it. We need some news on the sequel soon though... ;)

Yeah definatley.Zelda ocarina of time was the one i really got into and the first rpg i had played. :guiness:

Ultima 4 on the Commadore 64 computer, ages ago... :D

Pool of Radiance was actually my first, but the Ultima Series I have also played... ahh the Commodore 64... those were the days! Not! :xp:

My first PnP RPG was the first Dungeons & Dragons... then Later AD&D, Star Frontiers, FASA's Star Trek and Other Games, Chaosium's Various Games, Twilight 2000, WEG Star Wars D6 (My Favorite), Steve Jacksons Various Games, and on and on. :D

My first PnP RPG was the first Dungeons & Dragons... then Later AD&D, Star Frontiers, FASA's Star Trek and Other Games, Chaosium's Various Games, Twilight 2000, WEG Star Wars D6 (My Favorite), Steve Jacksons Various Games, and on and on. :D

I went from D&D to AD&D and later got involved in Marvel Super Heroes RPG before settling in on Shadowrun. I loved to play Shadowrun, but I don't know anyone who plays it anymore. You would think there would be a big following for it considering how popular the Matrix is. I would venture to say that it influenced the Matrix in some small part. Of course, another of Keanu's movies (Johnny Mnemonic) pulled heavily on Shadowrun.

well, one of the Baldur's Gate games was my first true RPG experiences, even if it was only about a 30-40min experience demoing it at the mall.

the first RPG that i ever completed was Kotor. until Kotor, Baldur's Gate was really the only RPG that i had enjoyed. i had played a couple of the Final Fantasy games, but i was really turned off by the combat systems, and thus never got into another RPG until i sampled Kotor on the Xbox.

Kotor was just a freakin blast, so i had to painfully wait for it to be released on the PC and then wait for Christmas to finally play the game from Taris to the Star Forge in a single sitting. :D

I went from D&D to AD&D and later got involved in Marvel Super Heroes RPG before settling in on Shadowrun. I loved to play Shadowrun, but I don't know anyone who plays it anymore. You would think there would be a big following for it considering how popular the Matrix is. I would venture to say that it influenced the Matrix in some small part. Of course, another of Keanu's movies (Johnny Mnemonic) pulled heavily on Shadowrun.

I liked Shadowrun when we played it, but that eventually gave way to other games like Palladium's game in that similar genre called Rifts... sad really, because they have similar elements but are different games.

I sometimes miss my Street Samurai... and his hot Elvish Street Mage girlfreind! :naughty:

The Shadowrun game books were all very entertaining too... I remember one of the equipment books, it displayed the equipment one piece per page, like an ad does, and there were also various critiques supposedly written by famous characters from the game. There was a light Sub-machine gun, the ad for it stated it "had the highest capacity and the fastest cyclic rate of any SMG on the market"... the character critique was "Great now I can flatten light ammo against heavy body armor faster than ever before!" Things like that I thought was cool! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

My first RPG experience was with Pokemon: Gold & Silver. Then onto Pokemon: Ruby & Sapphire and then Pokemon: Emerald.

But between Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire I got my first real taste of RPG with Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn. That was truly epic. I got really interested in RPGs after BG and to be honest, I havent come across one RPG that I thought was better than Baldurs Gate II untill I played KoTOR2. Im still not finished with the game to be honest, I just started playing a few weeks ago. But I really cant wait untill they make KoTOR3.. that is if they even do make one (which they should, they would make hella money as long as they improve upon what they messed up on in KoTOR2)

Man does this make me feel old...I'm with the other old-schoolers here... D&D basic (all the boxed sets), AD&D(all the hardcovers... that was good stuff, no? unearthed arcana, monster manuals, the fiend-folio... good times. lol), Marvel, DC, 6 'home-made' game systems/worlds, Star-Frontiers (I forced the Rifts-era ressurrection/adaptation of Dralasites, just so I could play one again, they even inspired some of my modstuff.lol), a brief stint into Toon, Palladium, and finally Rifts. And we incorporated books/material from any rpgs we could get our hands on(even including miniatures). Thats right whippersnappers, we melted metal and poured our own charachters back in my day. lol I grew very fond of the palladium/rifts system, my older brother still has a massive book collection. Almost all of the palladium/rifts books, as I recall. I still have a few of my charachters/folders. Kotor is really the first computer rpg that came near enough to the 'real thing' for me to enjoy(unless you consider the first legend of Zelda an rpg). I hated those block-headed, giant-pixeled pick-a-path, hunks of junk.

.... commodore 64... jeez, we had a frickin cassette drive!!!

I hear you punks laughing. :jab:

your day will come. lol

AD&D, WEG Star Wars D6 and Shadowrun were my first forays into PnP.

My first computer Rpg's for my old Amiga (which is still running like a charm btw) were:

Wizardry (I can't remember, but I think it was) 2 or 3

Ultima 3 or 4

Dungeon Master 1

The Bard's Tale (from 1985, not that new hypocrisy that hit consoles not so long ago)

then came - Eye of the Beholder (trilogy)

^Good stuff!^

AD&D, WEG Star Wars D6 and Shadowrun were my first forays into PnP.

I really wish they would do a new video game for Shadowrun. The only ones that have been released (that I know of) were for SuperNES and Sega Genesis. I think that today's graphics would make for a killer game of Shadowrun!

The SNES version was extremely succesful in containing the feel of the PnP. I still play it once every 2 years or so. It's a great game with a solid story, that catches you nicely into it.

Star Wars D6 though, we have abandoned, because we needed to incorporate all the new info we knew about SW and the Force. The D6 system would have worked but it had required us to do most of the work discuss it and test it and get into fights over if it works or not so we just switched to D20, where most of the work is already done. We are playing DnD 3, Vampire: The Masquerade, Ars Magica and Cthulhu Dreamlands - so switching systems, really isn't a problem.

Archived