Home

Curse over Secret?!

In a recent poll at the Scumm Bar we were asked to vote for our favourite Monkey game of the series. Not surprisingly MI 2; LeChuck's Revenge came out on top (it is unoubtedly the strongest of the series in terms of story and gags). What did surprise me was the fact that MI 3 was in second place for a while over MI 1, finally being pipped at the post by a couple of percent. I was pleased to see Escape from Monkey Island way back in last place as I thought it was a complete load of tripe!

In my opinion the last two games were a victory of style over content, not so much 'Curse of MI' which I was fairly enjoying until the feeble ending, but Escape from MI was so annoyingly, "lets make it 3D and throw the story out the window", that it was laughable.

My final thought:

Lucasarts would be better to kill the MI series now rather than drag us through another lame and disjointed sequel......... phew, rant over.

So what do you think lads and lassies? Am I right, or am I just a sad old bugger who's still living in the past?

:3headed: You are wrong. Sure The games have flaws and they are far from perfect. I think that the 3rd and 4th games are in a different style from the first wo and that's not just cause' they are far older. What I'm saying is that Monkey 3 & 4 are Great games. Treat them with respect.

P.S.They should make a 5th game to finish off the series.

in my opinion, yes, the first two were the best, you just can't beat the twisted humour of Ron Gibert (for anyone who doesn't know, ron gilbert was the guy who created the entire monkey island phenomina and hoped for it to end at two and so after finishing 2, left the mi team and went onto bigger things. fans were confused about the ending to MI2 and so the team got together without ron (he had better things to do) and created the other two without him and his humour which made the third one less than good in comparison to the first two, and the fourth was just plain crap (even though i liked it for what it was)) and...

now where was i, oh yes...but the last two were pretty good for what they were, anyone new to monkey island would enjoy MI4 and enjoy MI3 even better and then if thrown into the first two, probably (in my experiance) wouldn't like it because of their graphis expectations. but story wise, the first two were greate, and i loved the graphics in them. well enough essaying, i'm off.

:D :D :D :D

Thanks for the input folks.

Neil, I think we're pretty much on the same wavelength about this. However, I'm sure I heard somewhere that Ron said he wanted to make a third installment before leaving Lucasarts and that CMI was very different from the way he invisioned the third installment of MI. Anybody else remember this or did I dream it?!

Babenman, I was possibly a tad harsh on CMI & EMI there (DEEP BREATH-), I'm sorry, I just tend to get a wee bit overzealous on MI forums!!! What I should have said is that the 3rd and 4th games are fantastic examples of adventure games, far better than anything of that genre produced by other software houses (with the possible exceptions of 'The Longest Journey' & 'The Broken Sword' series, if you like a grittier adventure), BUT, and it's a big but, they just don't fit into the 'feel' of the first two games. It's not just the tangible differences like graphics and sound, It's the fact that the story didn't come from Ron Gilbert's imagination.

In my opinion Ron Gilbert is a true visionary in his field. He pushed the boundaries of interactive adventure and storytelling so much that I would rate him alongside JRR Tolkien and George Lucas who were/are visionaries in there own fields.

PS. Ron you owe me about 10 pints of Beer (or Grog!) for this bolstering of your ego!!!!

Originally posted by Jonny Haggis

Neil, I think we're pretty much on the same wavelength about this. However, I'm sure I heard somewhere that Ron said he wanted to make a third installment before leaving Lucasarts and that CMI was very different from the way he invisioned the third installment of MI. Anybody else remember this or did I dream it?!

actually, ron didn't plan a third installment (at least this is what i have read somewhere) you see, all that confusion about the amusement park and guybrush being a young boy at the end of MI2 was meant to show that both MI's were all inside the head of a little boys imagination as he had run away from his parents in an amusment park ride about pirates. then when ron left, people asked for more, so the people at lucas arts gave them more. but that's just what i read, u don't have to believe it.

peace

neil:D

AHA! Found it....

Here is an excerpt from an online chat with Ron Gilbert (you can find the complete transcript in the features section of 'www.Scummbar.com')

.....and I quote:

"<Ron-G> It is true that CMI was not what I was planning, but I do think they did a pretty good job of captuing what MI was about. There were a couple of things they didn't get right that bugged me

<Ron-G> One was the relationship between GB and Elain.

<Ron-G> Elain never really liked GB and thought of him as more of a little brother.

<Ron-G> That was the thing that bugged me the most about CMI.

<Ron-G> As far as my story for MI3...

<Ron-G> I've always kept that a secret."

So there you go non-believers (that's you Neil!), proof that Ron did have plans for a third installment and that it was not 'Curse of Monkey Island'.

PS. The article is fantastic so if you haven't seen it already, click here and read it now: http://www.scummbar.com/resources/features/ronirc/

hey! whoah! hang on a second. i never said i was a non believer. what i wrote is what i had read somewhere, not what i actually believed. okay fine, i did believe it, but that's only because i hadn't heard anything else. this quote from ron himself so now i believe that. and i actually feel a lot better now as i didn't really like the idea of the first 2 games being inside guybrushes head the whole time, now i know it was meant to actually go somewhere, i feel a lot better.

where was i? oh yeah.

don't call me a non-believer.

*walks out of room...that's it*

I think CMI has everything. Insult sword-fighting, talking demon skulls, evil dolls, return of some characters including the cutest lil' pirate ever, caber-tossing, dueling banjos, Max in the spotlight:), chiseling young salesmen, a devil chicken, Voodoo lady, funny pop-culture references, an excellent storyline, a lactose intolerant volcano, 2 visits back to Secret of Monkey Island, a truly evil ride, lots of easter eggs, hundreds of feral chickens, gold teeth, re-uniting lost love, scaring the crap out of a gravedigger, a trio of truly wacky cannibals, old Stan returns from where you left him, a drive-thru speaker, a quicksand pit, re-writing shakespeare, the Threepwood maneuver, slicing of a rich man's head of hair, inhaling helium, demolishing ghost pirate rowboats, using cursed diamond rings, using cheese as tar, hitting an egg from a tree, talking to a pepper, catching fireflies, gradually upgrading cannons, easy or hard ship combat, punching a mascot, knocking a mime out with a pie, getting rid of hangovers, stealing a seat cushion, desecrating family crypts, setting fire to an abominable snowman, getting a map off of someone's sunburn, deep frying an agent, ruining a young kid's business, getting a snake to throw up, shooting an instrument, popping someone's gum, giving steak flavored gum to a demonic talking skull, pressing a secret button, spooking a fortune-teller, ruining a family picture for fraud, using a fake death certificate for compensation, re-building a lighthouse, making a homemade compass, blowing up LeChuck's ship, putting lice in your pocket, using a monkey to get a guy to leave a ship's quarters, rowing to shore using a plank, and to all the other crazy puzzles.

*breathes*

Archived