Home

Buying SCUMM games for posterity

Skib

I was thinking today: Lucas Arts still sells their SCUMM games on their website (No! get out… :rolleyes: ). Who knows how long they're going to keep doing this. Certainly the games aren't in production anymore and that means they're just sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be bought up. Now, flash forward five or so years down the road from now. Something like the following has happened all across the world:

1) The only people who buy any old school SCUMM games are 15 yr olds.

2) Now after said 15 yr olds graduate from high school, they move out of the house and into a dorm.

3) The mothers of these 15 yr olds decide they want to convert their son's old bedroom into a guest room, so she starts putting in new furniture, throwing out old toys, etc.

4) She finds her son's Secret of Monkey Island floppies and decides he must not want them because, surely, he's too old to still play video games.

5) The son decides to come home from college during the summer. On the plane ride he remembers how much fun he had playing Secret of Monkey Island, but once he returns home he finds he has no bedroom or possessions.

6) The son inquires as to where his boyhood possessions have gone. The mother informs Son that she didn’t think Son would still want his stuffed tiger, Stripey. (Or, of course, his SCUMM games ;) )

7) Son tries to buy games but finds they are not sold anymore! Son cries, and cries, and …

This is why I am going to buy one (maybe two but I’m still tossing the idea around) of every SCUMM game I can afford before they stop selling them. I just wanted anyone’s thoughts on this. I think it’s a great idea, but everyone I’ve told thinks I’m crazy. I guess they just don’t understand… :o *sigh*.

As a side note, I’m also planning to buy the best 32-bit PC components right before 64-bit processors become the standard so I can still play my 32-bit games. OH I JUST THOUGHT OF A GREAT IDEA! If I buy a brand new VCR today, don’t open it, and write in my will that it goes to my great, great, great grandchildren, they’ll have an antique VCR!

Anyway, I better end this. *fweewh*:sweat:

My god, thats a nightmare scenario.

I would do that.

I would have done it years ago except that Lucasarts website doesnt ship to England!

DAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCAAAAAAASSSSSSSSAAAAARRRRRRRTTTTTTTSSSSSS:mad:

Heh heh - this time last year I only had Sam n Max, The Dig, and Grim Fandango in original boxes. Now, I have them all!!!!! And, I live in the UK. Just goes to show that with enough will power it is possible. I used Ebay, mostly. I got Loom, with audio drama and 'the Adventure #1' for $6!!!!!!! Ok, it was $12 shipping to UK, but SIX DOLLARS!! You go for it Skib - may the force be with you.

i still want:

Classic Adventures, LucasArts Volume 3, Afterlife, Loom, Zak, Maniac and Indy Crusade (action)

and THEN i will probably feel...satisfaction, at least i hope so ;)

oh and that soccer shirt looks so damn sweet! i want it!

So you're buying them now, but doesn't that just mean that your mommy will throw more games away? Or will you be storing them inside a safe in a military bunker on a fortified island?

Do I miss a point?

I do that, too. Not the missing of a point but the buying of games.

note, the "Classic Adventures" version you see on the LucasArts Website only contains the FLOPPY versions of the old adventure games. Worst of all, the versions included in that colection are all only 16 color versions. Don't buy this if you are expecting to get the 256 color CD audio versions of any of the games in that package.

No no, thats not true at all. The Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is the 256 colour version, and has the updated MIDI score. The Maniac Mansion is the best version available on the PC, and Loom and Monkey Island 1 are both 256 with full MIDI and internal music. Its a great deal at $20, as I've said before. You even get a novelisation of all 5 games, which also doubles as the official hintbook.

LucasT, a novilisation? Of all games? Enlighten us further, please :)

on a side note: i ordered LucasArts Zehn Adventures from Amazon.de and received it yesterday. It contained 10 (duh) adventures of Lucas: Indy Desktp, FoA, LC, SoMI, LCR, DOTT, MM, Zak, Loom and S&M. And guess what the special treat was that made me super happy? It came with both the MI1 and MI2 codewheel!! That's right! The Dial-A-Pirate (slightly smaller version than the original) and the MixnMojo (original size) codewheel! That was super cool IMO :)

QueZTone, my friend, I think you've struck gold. Except I can't find LucasArts Zehn Adventres in english (I'm american). As far as I can tell it's only sold at amazon.de and in German (?). I was thinking maybe if I searched for the english translation of LucasArts Zehn Adventures I could find it, so....what does "zehn" mean in English?

God, I want it........*OOOHH* (no, not like that :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by QueZTone

the LucasArts Ten Adventures was once released in English. A friend of mine (also Dutch) has it in English. Although I haven't seen it anywhere before...

That Archive you found there is simply the LucasArts Archive Volume 2. It's the LucasArts Starwars Archive. You can also find it at LEC's online store at http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore :)

Hehe, I also have the 'zehn' or 'ten' adventures pack, but I've got a DUTCH version called the 'TIEN' adventures pack. It also included a Dutch magazine called 'Hoog Spel' which had a LucasArts special feature.

I've never seen that pack on-line, though. It's quite a suprise to see it available in more languages.

--Erwin

Wow, that German thing is great! The novelisation is a few pages for each game, told in the first person by the main character, explaining how to complete the game in a more interesting way than:

1. Take the file to the mansion.

2. Jump through the hole in the wall

etc.

You get it all when you buy the classic adventures (often on ebay falsely claimed as 'RARE!!!') from the LucasArts company store. Just try to buy Maniac, Zak, Loom, Indy: LC or Monkey Island 1 and you'll be given the link to buy it.

I'm off to buy some German 10 adventures... even though I have them all...

Originally posted by LucasTones

Wow, that German thing is great! The novelisation is a few pages for each game, told in the first person by the main character, explaining how to complete the game in a more interesting way than:

1. Take the file to the mansion.

2. Jump through the hole in the wall

etc.

You get it all when you buy the classic adventures (often on ebay falsely claimed as 'RARE!!!') from the LucasArts company store. Just try to buy Maniac, Zak, Loom, Indy: LC or Monkey Island 1 and you'll be given the link to buy it.

I'm off to buy some German 10 adventures... even though I have them all...

oh that kind of novilisation hehe, i thought of a more story like thing hehe. still i want that classic archives pack hehe and ill get it someday :) tho can't get it from lucasstore cause they dont deliver. Did you get it off ebay LT?

about the 10 adventures, yeah buy it its a nice box and the mi codewheels (note the mi1 codewheel is slightly smaller than the original (that i have) but other than that its perfect) were a real treat :) i bought the 10 adventures also mainly because i thought it was a cool pack and not because i wanted the games AGAIN hehe :) The fact that it was german didn't stop me at all as im sure it wont stop you. Great to see someone being crazy as I haha :) Cause my brothers can totally not comprehend my crazyness. They go like: "Why buy a gamepack of games you already have? And then why even buy them in German!?" hehe :) Ohh well :)

Archived