Home

Dedicated Server FAQ

Wilhuf

Originally posted by Silwenae

I have the exact same problem Thistledown, it's driving me nuts.

I have seta sv_master1 "masterjk2.ravensoft.com" in my cfg, but won't show up in the in-game browser for my friends, but they can add the IP manually and play.

me too have the same problem, my server was listed in game brower few days, but now i cant find it :(

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by AC™ Chainlink

I am setting up a couple of duel servers on my machine, but I've run into 1 small problem, I can't get them to advertise at all. I also have an RTCW server running which advertises fine, and uses a very similar set up with .cfg files. The one thing I've noticed on this forum is in the command line some people are not specifying a port, where as others are, and there seems to be variety in how people are setting up their servers. I added in the master server line but no luck, I can't even join the game by IP. I've tried adding the IP to the command line, leaving it out, changing the port, several different things but no luck. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DITTO

Originally posted by Silwenae

I have the exact same problem Thistledown, it's driving me nuts.

I have seta sv_master1 "masterjk2.ravensoft.com" in my cfg, but won't show up in the in-game browser for my friends, but they can add the IP manually and play.

try writing it like this;

set sv_master! "masterjk2.ravensoft.com"

Works for me.

set sv_master! -- exclamation point?

Tried it, still doesn't show.

The funny thing was that Thurs. night it was advertising, and it stopped Friday after I started messing with the config, so that wouldn't surpise me.

It's a Red Hat Linux server, behind another Linux server, using port forwarding to open all the ports that Kenn Hoekstra has detailed.

If it worked Thurs, but not Friday with the default .cfg, and did advertise then, so I can't figure out.

The .cfg file is set to:

I start the server with:

screen ./jk2ded server.cfg +map ffa_bespin

I'm stumped. :confused:

Any more tips are appreciated!

I think that sv_master! should be set to sv_master1 :)

I noticed that when i copied the config file, changed it to sv_master1, and my server worked.

There is no problem with the raven master server, its the gamespy one provided earlier.

master0.gamespy.com:27900 is the STV Elite Force gamespy master! Hehehehehe

Someone asked earlier what rconpassword is.

Rcon is a tool you can use to administrate a server when its not running on your PC. When you are connected to your server, you can do this:

Press Shift + `(underneath Escape)

Then type this:

/rcon WHATEVER-YOU-SET-RCON-PASSWORD-TO-ON-THE-SERVER map ctf_bespin

If you typed the pass right, this should change the map to ctf_bespin.

Here is mine, simple, yet working just fine. :] Now only if I could figure out how to log. Heh

seta sv_hostname "HOSTNAME"

seta g_motd ":]"

rconpassword "******"

seta sv_maxclients 8

seta g_inactivity 0

seta fraglimit 30

seta sv_pure 1

seta sv_maxRate 4500

seta sv_allowdownload 1

seta g_allowvote 1

seta timelimit 45

seta capturelimit 40

seta g_autoMapCycle 1

seta g_inactivity 0

seta sv_privatePassword "******"

seta sv_privateClients 2

seta g_gametype 0

seta sv_maxping 500

seta g_teamForceBalance "1"

seta g_teamAutoJoin "1"

seta sv_floodProtect "1"

seta g_ghostRespawn "3"

seta g_forcerespawn "1"

seta g_filterBan "1"

map ffa_bespin

Can someone explain the:

seta sv_privateClients 2

varibles to me...does that allow you to save spots on the server for specific people that have a "private password"? If I already have the server password protected (seta g_needpass "1") can I also have the private password for other reserved spaces? Thanks!

Originally posted by mdehamer

Can someone explain the:

seta sv_privateClients 2

varibles to me...does that allow you to save spots on the server for specific people that have a "private password"? If I already have the server password protected (seta g_needpass "1") can I also have the private password for other reserved spaces? Thanks!

The 'seta sv_privatePassword "pass"' & 'seta sv_privateClients 2' reserves 2 slots on the server so the player slots shows up as 2 less than the 'seta sv_maxclients' setting.

Also I found out if you change seta g_password "" it remove the join password on the server and sets 'seta g_needpass 0' , so it becomes a public server.

I have my server setup using both password settings, It looks like it should works to me, but as I cannot get my server to show in the in game server browser I have not been able to test it.

PURE SERVER SETTING

This is a new feature in the multiplayer setup screen. If the pure server option is "ON," then all clients must have the identical .pak file the server has. This was implemented to prevent cheating and hacking. Setting up a server with this off will enable any pak file configuration to enter the game. The .pak file is a very large compressed file that contains all of the games assets. Users can uncompress the file using the program WinZip.

But it has the potential in allowing some players to implement cheats available to them, I've seen them in practice, and they are cheats unless all players know it's available and have the equal opportunity to use it. Imagine having a radar screen on your HUD, and able to see where enemy players are behind walls and doors? You're chasing an enemy flag carrier, get to a door only to meet with an exploding rocket fired a second before the door even opened. Now it's a great tool if all the players have it, and the playing field is level.

Running sv_pure 1 protects you, the gamers, from hacked pack files and cheats that are capable via pack files. The sv_pure option works like this: if it's turned off, any pak file is visible that the client has; with sv_pure 1, however, only the pak files located on the game server are allowed on that particular server, so if you want your favorite HUD replacement available to you in game see if the server admin will load it to their baseq3 directory. Otherwise the custom HUD is rendered useless. However players with the HUD can still join and play. Since the latest point release you no longer will get kicked back to the main menu if you have other pak files; that was a bug in the code that id fixed.

One way to properly deal with this entire issue, is to make the server pure and make available to all players the special paks you will allow them to use. If you like a particular custom HUD and sound effects, put it on your web site for download. The other is to review and install submitted pak files from your player community. (side note: Please be aware, if you're an admin, you'll need to verify that the client pack files submitted to you are legit, and not pak file that may have a cheat in it.)

I have noticed that in the .cfg files you guys have 2 different set commands. I keep seeing either "set" or "seta" . I am a Counter-Strike ded. server runner, and I have never run a quake3 based server. I am trying to set up a dedicated server in win 2000, but I can't get it to load the server.cfg file. Here is what my server.cfg file looks like.

set net_ip "dhcp assigned ip, I have it set to restart the server on an ip update"

set net_port 28070

set sv_hostname "DeathsHead's 1337 Crew"

set sv_maxclients 12

set sv_zone FFA

set sv_timeout 15

set sv_

seta g_needpass "1"

seta g_password "******"

set rconpassword "LikeI'dGiveYouThisThatEasy"

set timelimit 30

set fraglimit 0

set logfile 0

set g_autoMapCycle 1

set g_allowvote 1

set sv_allowdownload 1

set sv_maxRate 4000

set sv_pure 1

set g_motd "Dueling is where the fun is at people!!!"

set g_gametype 0

set g_forcerespawn 0

set g_weaponrespawn 15

set g_weaponrespawn "1"

set g_adaptrespawn "1"

set sv_cheats "0"

set g_saberInterpolate "1"

set g_weaponDisable "1"

set g_spawnInvulnerability "3000"

set g_forceRegenTime "300"

set g_saberLocking "1"

set g_privateDuel "1"

set ui_freeSaber "1"

// Map Rotation

set d1 "map ffa_bespin ; set nextmap vstr d2"

set d2 "map ffa_deathstar ; set nextmap vstr d3"

set d3 "map ctf_bespin ; set nextmap vstr d4"

set d4 "map ns_hideout ; set nextmap vstr d5"

set d5 "map ns_streets ; set nextmap vstr d6"

set d6 "map imperial ; set nextmap vstr d7"

set d7 "map ctf_imperial ; set nextmap vstr d8"

set d8 "map yavin ; set nextmap vstr d1"

map ffa_bespin

The way I want to set this server up is to have a passworded server, that has all weapons but saber disabled. I want it as an ffa server, and pretty much its used mainly for dueling (I don't like duel games, too much down time, plus private duel is a lot better without the force powers other than throw and jump) The server I run it on is run through pcanywhere (usually although I can get to it physically) I have the cd in one of my cdrom drives although I am thinking about just putting it into a virtual drive so I don't have to worry about it.

My main problem is that when I try my dedicated server shorcut ("c:\blab\bla\jk2mp.exe" +set dedicated 2 +exec config.cfg ), it gives me an error about how it can't load the server.cfg file, then it uses the default server configuration, it ends up being like an 8 slot public server with all weapons. Any idea how to get this working? I am hoping its something to do with the seta and set thing in the server.cfg

Any help is much appreciated,

DeathsHead

Ghostriderdigital_WEB.jpg

well this is just an example how to getting an shortcut

make an shortcut, target your jk2mp.exe where ever it lays......

this is an example

"D:\spel\jedi Knight2\gamedata\jk2mp.exe" +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg

and the server.cfg has to be in your \jedi Knight2\gamedata\base

folder

otherwise it won't find the cfg you specified

and the SETA command is for cfgs

if its ingame you type SET not SETA

got it?

thanks. I just figured out where to put it right before you posted. I though putting it in the base directory would make clients not be able to connect due to a pure server setting, but it doesn't count configs... Anyway I appreciate your explaination of the seta command. I am used to Halflife servers and this particular server set up is a bit different. I think I have it working now...

here is the link:

http://www2.ravensoft.com/jedioutcast/serveroptions.rtf

this is what is there:

Remember you can always launch a dedicated server from the menus.

g_gametype:

0=Free For All

1=Holocron

2=Jedi Master

3=Duel

5=Team Free For All

7=Capture the Flag

8=Capture the Ysalimari

g_weaponDisable:

Nothing is disabled if set to zero. Lightsaber only if set to 65531. The number is the total of a bitfield with 16 bits, each bit representing a weapon.

g_duelWeaponDisable:

Same as above, but only when playing Duel. This is separate because we encourage Duel mode to be saber-only.

g_forcePowerDisable:

Nothing is disabled if set to zero. All force powers are disabled if set to 32767. The number is the total of a bitfield with 15 bits, each bit representing a force power.

g_forceBasedTeams:

If set to 1, then the red team must use the dark side, the blue team must use the light side.

g_maxForceRank:

Number from 0 to 7, going from Initiate to Jedi Master. The higher the rank, the more points to spend on powers.

g_maxHolocronCarry:

Defaults to 3, indicates the number of holocrons that a player can carry in Holocron mode.

g_privateDuel:

If set to 1, then the "engage_duel" key is functional in FFA and Holocron games. Sort of an "unadvertised command", you can brandish your lightsaber, target an enemy and press the key. If he receives the message and presses his engage_duel key, then you are isolated from other combatants and must duel to the death. Saber only, no force powers other than jump. This is the only time saberlock is operational in FFA or Holocron. The winner gets his health replenished and bragging rights.

g_saberLock:

If set to 1, allows saber locking while playing Duel or while in a private duel.

g_friendlySaber:

If set to 1, then team members can be hit by sabers that are idle (e.g. if you walk into a friend). It doesn't affect if the saber will hit players while swinging. Whether it does damage or not is determined by g_friendlyFire.

Many of the rest are Q3 standard.

Included Maps:

duel_bay

duel_carbon

duel_jedi

duel_pit

ffa_bespin

ffa_deathstar

ffa_imperial

ffa_ns_hideout

ffa_ns_streets

ffa_raven

ffa_yavin

ctf_bespin

ctf_imperial

ctf_ns_streets

ctf_yavin

g_autoMapCycle:

If set to 1 the game will auto cycle to the next map from the arenas list.

i'm sure this will help some since the g_gametype for ctf is NOT 4 but is 7

OK, I've been going by the suggestions in this thread for the last couple of hours and can't get it to work. If anyone would be so kind as to post an example of just a straight FFA dedicated server cfg file, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! :D

- Set server.cfg into my; C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData folder.

- Then i created the shortcut with this in the command line; "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2mp.exe" +set dedicated 1 +exec server.cfg

I go to run it and it tells me it can't load the server.cfg? WTF?

Here is my config;

seta g_motd "CAGL's Dedicated Jedi Knight II Server"

seta sv_hostname "Echo Station 3TA"

seta Administrator "-mk-Lightman"

seta Email "huds0n@swbell.net"

seta url "http://www.cagl.org"

seta Location "A Galaxy far, far away..."

seta g_needp*** "0"

seta sv_privateP***word "xxxxxxx"

seta rconp***word "xxxxxx"

seta sv_maxclients "16"

seta sv_minclients "0"

seta sv_privateClients "0"

seta sv_maxRate "25000"

seta sv_maxping "200"

seta g_ghostRespawn "3"

seta g_forcerespawn "0"

seta g_inactivity "0"

seta g_warmup "20"

seta sv_pure "1"

seta sv_master5 ""

seta sv_master4 ""

seta sv_master3 ""

seta sv_master2 ""

seta sv_master1 "masterjk2.ravensoft.com"

seta g_allowvote "1"

seta cl_allowDownload "0"

seta g_friendlyfire "0"

seta g_teamForceBalance "1"

seta g_teamAutoJoin "1"

seta sv_floodProtect "1"

//Enable IP banning

set g_filterban "1"

seta g_banIPs ""

seta fraglimit "0"

seta timelimit "20"

seta capturelimit "8"

seta g_weaponrespawn "0"

seta g_adaptrespawn "1"

seta sv_cheats "0"

seta g_logSync "0"

seta g_log "games.log"

seta g_gametype "3"

seta g_timeouttospec "70"

seta g_statLog "0"

seta g_teamForceBalance "0"

seta g_teamAutoJoin "1"

seta g_friendlySaber "0"

seta g_friendlyFire "0"

seta g_saberInterpolate "1"

seta g_weaponDisable "0"

seta g_forcePowerDisable "0"

seta g_spawnInvulnerability "3000"

seta g_forceRegenTime "150"

seta g_autoMapCycle "1"

seta g_maxGameClients "0"

seta ui_gametype "3"

seta ui_forcePowerDisable "0"

seta ui_freeSaber "1"

seta ui_rankChange "0"

seta ui_opponentName "Rebellion"

seta ui_teamName "Empire"

seta ui_ctf_friendly "0"

seta ui_ctf_timelimit "20"

seta ui_ctf_capturelimit "8"

seta ui_team_friendly "1"

seta ui_team_timelimit "20"

seta ui_team_fraglimit "0"

seta ui_tourney_timelimit "15"

seta ui_tourney_fraglimit "50"

seta ui_ffa_timelimit "20"

seta ui_ffa_fraglimit "20"

seta g_blueTeam "Rebellion"

seta g_redTeam "Empire"

seta sv_minPing "0"

seta sv_maxRate "30000"

seta g_duelWeaponDisable "65531"

seta g_forceBasedTeams "0"

seta duel_fraglimit "15"

seta g_maxForceRank "7"

seta g_saberLocking "1"

seta g_privateDuel "1"

seta timelimit "20"

seta fraglimit "1"

// Maps rotationcycle

set d1 "map ctf_ns_streets ; set nextmap vstr d2"

set d2 "map ctf_imperial ; set nextmap vstr d3"

set d3 "map ctf_bespin ; set nextmap vstr d4"

set d4 "map ctf_Yavin ; set nextmap vstr d1"

vstr d1

Anyone see anything out of wack here? I don't think it's a config problem. I've tried it with the config in my base folder, and just in the gamedata folder.

Help! Thanks

Well here is the error message I get when I try to launch my Dedicated server with the command

"D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2mp.exe" +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg

When I launch the game it will setup and run the dedicated server fine but I want to add a few more options in then what you can configure with the program. I would assume that the limited edition box that I purchased wouldn't be any different then the normal box. Did I screw up during the install? Thanks for the assist as I have a full T-1 here at the office that is just BEGGING to run server on it...

JK2MP: v1.02a win-x86 Mar 3 2002

Initialising zone memory .....

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/base

----------------------

0 files in pk3 files

Running in restricted demo mode.

----- FS_Startup -----

Current search path:

D:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/demo

----------------------

0 files in pk3 files

----- CL_Shutdown -----

-----------------------

Couldn't load mpdefault.cfg

RebelHawk,

That was the same error message i got when trying to run the win32 dedicated, only to find out that i had setup to the shortcut to run from where the file was sitting when i d/loaded it. Not from my JediKnight II game folder.

I've never seen that running the MP.exe though? That's new to me!

Archived