Home

Dedicated Server FAQ

Wilhuf

Sorry to post this in two different threads but I hope this helps some of teh ppl who have been getting strange results running a linux server

On my setup the server has created a hidden directory under my home dir.

It created the dir .jkii and in there was another config file in it

eg /home/users/cenuij/.jkii/base/jk2mpconfig.cfg

I had installed the server to /home/users/cenuij/jedi

This file was also being exectued after my server.cfg which i specified in my startup command line argument. It was also keeping the value g_needpass set to 1, even though i had specified g_needpass 0 in file server.cfg

Hope this helps some of you linux ppl. If your new to linux you'll need to show a full directory listing or turn on the 'show hidden' option in your filebrowser.

Cenuij

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here are the commands i ave so far quite a list too.

these all came directly from the console. hope this helps

:fett:

cmdlist

touchFile

fdir

dir

path

map

vstr

set

-attack

wait

-button2

music

soundstop

soundinfo

soundlist

play

screenshot_tga

fs_referencedList

fs_openedList

reconnect

clientinfo

force_throw

saberAttackCycle

use_sentry

zoom

use_electrobinoculars

use_bacta

use_field

use_seeker

force_seeing

force_forcepowerother

force_healother

force_absorb

force_protect

force_rage

force_distract

force_pull

force_speed

force_heal

engage_duel

sv_saberswitch

-mlook

+mlook

-button14

+button14

-button13

+button13

-button12

+button12

-button11

+button11

-button10

+button10

-button9

+button9

-button8

+button8

-button7

+button7

-button6

+button6

-button5

+button5

-button4

+button4

-button3

+button3

+button2

-button1

+button1

-button0

+button0

-force_drain

+force_drain

-force_lightning

+force_lightning

-useforce

+useforce

-altattack

+altattack

-force_grip

+force_grip

-use

+use

+attack

-speed

+speed

-moveright

+moveright

-moveleft

+moveleft

-strafe

+strafe

-lookdown

+lookdown

-lookup

+lookup

-back

+back

-forward

+forward

-right

+right

-left

+left

-movedown

+movedown

-moveup

+moveup

-taunt

+taunt

centerview

condump

clear

messagemode4

messagemode3

messagemode2

messagemode

toggleconsole

svsay

killserver

devmapall

devmapmdl

spdevmap

spmap

devmap

sectorlist

map_restart

dumpuser

systeminfo

serverinfo

status

clientkick

kick

heartbeat

vminfo

vmprofile

midiinfo

net_restart

in_restart

writeconfig

changeVectors

quit

meminfo

exec

seta

bind

unbindall

bindlist

unbind

echo

zone_details

zone_stats

cvar_restart

cvarlist

reset

setu

sets

toggle

159 commands

back to the question that was asked before.

Can you specify which force powers you want in a duel game. Like we want just basic jump, push, pull saber throw..

and don't want ..drain, grip, lightening, etc..

Does anyone know if we can.. If so how???

Here is the config I am currently working with. All works fine for now, and as I learn more from the forums here, I make changes.

http://www.middlebutton.com/server.txt

any suggestions and or comments are welcome.

I have the server running in FFA mode, as duel got boring last night. Now, force powers are off, sabers only, but u can pickup and carry up to 3 forces and or change them by running over more. (dont know FFA mode, maybe this is FFA is played).

So one guy might have grip, but his opponent might have lightening or something, which I think balances out the abusive force powers. This game type also allows everyone to play and or just duel if they so wish, without waiting in line.

:LugNut

where are you guys putting the "server.cfg"

Cause mine is still not working.. and I don't know what is wrong.

Everything points to the right place. It says it can't find the mpdefault.cfg and the autoexec.cfg

when i add +exec server.cfg it isays it kind find that either

please help.

While I was putting my server up, another server op came into my server and asked if an admin was around. After talking to the individual about his +exec not working, we checked the following:

1) that his command line was similar to this: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\jk2mp.exe" +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg

2) That the working directory for his server looked like this: "C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData"

3) That the location of his config file was in the base dir. Example: C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\base\server.cfg

After talking to him for a bit, I found out that he had created his config file from a right-click->create->new text file. So, I had him turn off "Hide extensions for known files" in his folder options. His server.cfg file was actually named server.cfg.txt, he renamed the file to just server.cfg, and it starting working. No, I didn't flame him, I run a computer department, and we see things like this all the time.

Hopefully this will help someone else (and I put the 3 items that you should check also).

Ren

Got this working just tonight

System Specs:

PIII-450

448mB RAM

Win2k Server

It's a LAN server, so that will be reflected here, I reckon.

This was created based off the original server.cfg and various ones from this thread (thanks guys!)

//TimmyD's JKII Dedicated Server

//sets server information/settings
seta sv_hostname "TimmyD's JKII Dedicated Server (FFA)"
seta Administrator "TimmyD"
seta Email "tjdurnan@csbsju.edu"
seta url "http://timmyd-shared
seta Location "Pat 216"
seta sv_maxclients 16
seta sv_zone FFA
seta sv_timeout 15
seta sv_master1 "masterjk2.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_pure 1
seta timelimit 20
seta fraglimit 40

//sets logging
set logfile 1
set g_logSync 0 "1"
set g_log "logs\games.log"

//other configurations
seta g_motd "Welcome to TimmyD's Dedicated JKII Server!"
seta g_gametype 0
seta g_forcerespawn 0
seta g_weaponrespawn 15
seta g_allowvote 1
seta g_maxForceRank 5
seta g_privateDuel 1
seta g_saberLock 1
seta cl_allowDownload 1
seta g_friendlyfire 0
seta sv_floodProtect 1
seta g_autoMapCycle 1

//map rotation
set d1 "map ffa_bespin ; set nextmap vstr d2"
set d2 "map ffa_deathstar ; set nextmap vstr d3"
set d3 "map ffa_ns_hideout ; set nextmap vstr d4"
set d4 "map ffa_ns_streets ; set nextmap vstr d5"
set d5 "map ffa_imperial ; set nextmap vstr d6"
set d6 "map ffa_yavin ; set nextmap vstr d1"

map ffa_bespin

Ok, first off I'd like to say....isn't this supposed to be a FAQ? If people have questions, they should be posted in a separate thread below so that someone with the answer is more likely to spot it quickly. I know that I only visit this thread about once a day...maybe. I spend the rest of my time looking for question threads with 0 replies first and move on to the rest as I have time.

Ok, just to address the post above...I spotted a couple of problems, one of which may have just been a typo in copying it over on your part.

seta url "http://timmyd-shared //missing end quote

seta sv_timeout 15 //I've saw a lot of players get "timed-out" needlessly with this low a setting. Some players just take a bit to load the maps. I personally use 120. I'd recommend no less than 60 unless you're a computer racist and want to punish people with "older" systems. ;)

set g_logSync 0 "1" //Which do you want? 0 or 1? I don't believe that g_logSync0 is a used cvar. use set g_logSync "0" for off and set g_logSync "1" for on

seta g_autoMapCycle 1 //This completely defeats the point of having an admin defined map rotation--which you do. It looks like you are cycling through each ffa map already. So, I think you'd be just as well off to leave this set to 1 and delete the rotation. If you do that, make sure you ignore the next comment. ;)

map ffa_bespin //Again, this starts a specific map and ignores the rotation. If you want to use the rotation, change this to vstr d1

As a side note, you might want to add the following:

seta g_friendlySaber 0

You have g_friendlyfire off, but that's only when you are swinging your saber (or firing other weapons). The above will make it so you can't hurt a teammate by just running into him with your saber. Good luck with the server.

Hello...

Here's my problem, in the HL dedicated server, whenever you type something that isn't a command, it'll either say it's not a command or not do anything. In Q3 based games, when you write soemthing that isn't a command, it'll print it in the server. In HL, to print something on the screen in the server you need to add 'say' before what you wanna say. In Q3 based games, even if u have \ or / , it'll print it.

This is very bad. If for example someone wanna change his rconpassword or password on the dedicated server, now the person makes a mistake and writes paswsord "PASSWORD".... now everyone on the server knows the password because he made a spelling mistake.

If there's a way to fix it by a cvar, it'll be really helpful, if not, then :( ..

Ok here's my problem:

When I have GameSpy up, I can start a pure server and have people playing on it. JK2 brings up a small console on my desktop saying whats going on. I can join my own game from GameSpy, which shows up. Thats all well and good, but if I want to kick a griefer or retard whos messing up the server by being a loser, I want to be able to kick him. I've tried /boot playername etc, but it doesnt work. It just shows up in the console window as me just simply saying "boot playername". How come I don't have admin abilities on my own server?? Please help!

First off, are you typing in the server console or the client console? Either way the command is kick or clientkick, not boot. If you are using the server console, you can type status to get a list of players and their client numbers. Then type clientkick # and they're gone. If you're using the game console, you either need to set to your rcon password using /set rconpassword yourpass to whatever you have in the server.cfg (or whatever config file you use) or include it in the command like so:

/rcon rconpass kick playername

Just substitute your specific rcon password as needed. I find it ten times easier to kick from the server console using clientkick. But, that's just my opinion. ;)

How do i find a full list of rcon commands or other console comands for the ded server? Also is there any kind of softwhere to make admins out of like how the half life engine has admin mod? plus I do I set myself up to join my dedicated server and be able to use the rcon commands and no one else? last question....... i have read through everyones server config posting do i put that in the server.cfg or a different file, becuase the server.cfg is the only file i have found to config the server with. I am new to this so sorry for the million questions. Please help though I am trying to make a clan server.

Having run into this myself, I found that doing a quick /status to get the offending user's client number helpful. Then just /clientkick # (where # is their client number) and viola, they're gone.

Originally posted by [KWA]SaVAgE

OK

I got people doing the good old colored names and thats fine, but, when I go to kick a llama and the Llama has colored letters, i can type in there name PERFECTLY and it says player not found.

This is via RCON while I'm playing BTW.

I have called Lucasarts and tried reading the message boards but still am confused. Since this is a raven game and SOF was a raven game I remember the editing the command line in the exe file but I cant get a server to run to save my ass on here. I was told by the lucas arts people that to turn the DEDICATED SERVER on would mean that you can only spectate and that I had to go through some mombo jombo like the following (The specific UDP ports that Jedi Outcast uses are 28060, 28061, 28062, and 28070 through 28081 (inclusive.)

Can someone give me an idea how to play a store bought copy of this so i can set up a server that IS viewable to others and have them be able to play as well as me. THANKS ALOT FOR ANY AND ALL HELP.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very new at dealing with the q3 style dedicated servers...I have delt with the HL dedicated server. I am running the server behind an SMC7008ABR router, I do not know if that will make any difference either way...

I can create the dedicated server through the game, but if I do that no one can connect through that internet.

There has been alot of talk about the server.cfg...I tried that is will not exec the file...

I am wondering...I do not mind setting up the server through the game...I just can not figure out how get it such that people from the internet can connect...

Because I am behind a router, I have routed traffic for port 28070 to the servers local IP...I hope that someone can help me...

It helps if you post your problem in its own thread so it can be replied to individually. For the sake of brevity, I'll just ask a few questions here that may help you. When you setup the server using the game GUI, what do you select for "dedicated"? NO, LAN, or Internet? If you choose anything but Internet, then there's a good chance your server won't be listed in the master server list--of course, if you choose Internet or LAN then you can't play the game without starting up a separate instance of the game.

Has anyone tried to connect to the server via the ip address? If they can connect by ip but the server is not in the list, then it could just be a matter of time before it shows up...assuming you have it set as an internet dedicated server (above). If nobody can connect by ip, then you aren't forwarding the right ports or your router is not compatible with the game protocol. According to Raven, you should have the port the server is set to run on (28070 by default) and 28060-28062 (inclusive). Give those things some thought and then post in a new thread if you are still having trouble.

Archived