Home

Dedicated Server FAQ

Wilhuf

Originally posted by Dominator

where are you guys putting the "server.cfg"

Cause mine is still not working.. and I don't know what is wrong.

Everything points to the right place. It says it can't find the mpdefault.cfg and the autoexec.cfg

when i add +exec server.cfg it isays it kind find that either

please help.

This may not apply to your problem but, it may help others. It is possible that all the files are in the proper location but are not named with the proper file extension. This can occur if your windows settings are set to hide known file types. The effect is this: you name a file server.cfg but it is actually named server.cfg.txt. Since you are hinding extensions of known file types you do not realize this has happened.

To check this out you will need to open up [Folder Options] from [Tools] menu in My Computer. Once in [Folder Options] select the [Views] tab and select to Display everything available and deselect all HIDE options.

I hope this helps at least one person.

:)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now don't get me wrong... I am thankful that I can, if I wish, sort through a myriad of posts and compile my own dedicated server manual/faq. But...

Wouldn't it be nice if if someone, anyone, compiled a *real* dedicated server FAQ? This thread, as well intentioned as it is, is not an FAQ or a HOWTO.

Certainly someone out there has compiled enough information to post a reasonably detailed FAQ/HOWTO for dedicated servers, esp with regards to the available options.

I've been searching for a while for this but can't find it. So before I sit down to spend hours searching this forum and compiling my own documentation, does anyone know of a real FAQ or HOWTO for the dedicated server?

Regards,

Justin McMichael

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. Please just answer my question, with no flames. I've read through this faq, looked around, and nothing can answer it. I don't care how stupid the question is, I just want it answered please!

How do I make my dedicated server work so people NOT in my LAN can connect to it? It always just sets it as LAN. I have 2 computers, and my other comp only sees it listed on Local, and none of my friends can connect.

Please help.

Your problem may or may not have a simple solution. Are your friends using you ip address to connect? Or is the problem that it doesn't show up in the server list? Are you behind a firewall/router? If so, have you forwarded all the ncessary ports? Are you running the dedicated server binary or the mp game to host the server? If the former, what's your command line and config look like? If the later, are you setting it up as dedicated in the setup screen?

Originally posted by MatrixCPA

Your problem may or may not have a simple solution. Are your friends using you ip address to connect? Or is the problem that it doesn't show up in the server list? Are you behind a firewall/router? If so, have you forwarded all the ncessary ports? Are you running the dedicated server binary or the mp game to host the server? If the former, what's your command line and config look like? If the later, are you setting it up as dedicated in the setup screen?

So there is no straight answer? Lame, I'll just join empty servers and have my friends join...

At least on counterstrike it was easy. Just create the server with in game instructions, and it's done. I'm not gonna bother and do all this work just for a server.

Mazuli, if you are behind a firewall you have to find out what your external IP address is so that people can connect to you, you also have to make sure that you choose Internet as the server option when your creating it, default its Lan, and will only show up on your Local area network.

I had an issue where my firewall won't let anyone go threw it so i had to disconnect it, I am running my server from work now on a dedicated T1, cause its the only option i have seeing as I need all 3 of my PCs at home to connect.

Counterstike seemed easy, thats just cause it did everything behind the scenes, and it uses ports that are already open on your router most likely. Doing a tad more research might find your answer.

~Jedi Ginn

Well now it shows up on the list for me and other players. Only problem is I'm the only one who can connect. Other people try to join and end up lagging out. So I know it's being listed. Why can't others connect?

Do they actually get all the way in and then lag out? Or are they not able to get fully connected? If it's the later, you might check a couple of things. First, make sure they are updated to 1.03 if your server is also updated and vice versa. You might also check to see what you have sv_timeout set to be. If it's low, say below 60, then I'd increase it up to 120. If it's the former, I'd be curious if you are connected first/also. If so, try letting them connect without you. Then, when you connect, if it goes to hell, then you know that it's a rate problem between the server and you as a local client.

Another thing i found, I run my dedicated as a Pure Server, and when someone connects to it with "unpure" pk3s, it tells the client that Server Disconnected right after loading everything, but in my console it tells me that they were disconnected due to "unpure" pk3. Instance, I can't use the spiderman skin, cause its "unpure"(about 3 hours of taking out all my skins and then putting 1 back in, loading the game and seeing what happens)

Something else to look at is router settings. You have the option to set up ACLs on your ports for incomming and outgoing packets. In other words, you can say let ports 208070 - 300000 out, but you never said to let them in, that would explain why your showing up on the primary server for people to connect, but when they try they can't. I still have issues with my Netgear router RT311, I can't use it cause if the issue, its built in to not let any normal ports into my LAN, and i can't turn it off

Originally posted by MatrixCPA

Do they actually get all the way in and then lag out? Or are they not able to get fully connected? If it's the later, you might check a couple of things. First, make sure they are updated to 1.03 if your server is also updated and vice versa. You might also check to see what you have sv_timeout set to be. If it's low, say below 60, then I'd increase it up to 120. If it's the former, I'd be curious if you are connected first/also. If so, try letting them connect without you. Then, when you connect, if it goes to hell, then you know that it's a rate problem between the server and you as a local client.

I am using 1.03. It shows up on the list for me and my friends. I can only join it through local (I read somewhere that that is supposed to happen). They sit there for up to 5 min, with -1 ping, which means they are trying to connect. I tested this with 2 different friends of mine, both have 1.03. Neither could connect. So it isn't the timeout setting, and it isn't the version. I think my problem might be that my IP is 192.168.1.100 (linksys network IP). I deleted the line for the IP on the jk2mpconfig.cfg and then ran the dedicated server twice (to set it back to default) because I read that I should do that. When I set my IP to the other 2 ((my DNS, which doesn't show up to anyone but me when I look at DNS settings) and my "I.P." (I say that in quotes because it's not really my IP, but it's the IP others see due to my router (which I couldn't figure out how to remove), like at http://www.whatismyipaddress.com), it doesn't work.

assuming your using a BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router from linksys

your router's IP address is(should be) 192.168.1.100. so http into it and do some of the things below

Q. How can I play internet games (i.e. Ages of empire) with the router?

A: Enable DMZ in “Advanced Features” of the web configuration screen. For example, if your computer’s IP address is 192.168.1.102, enter the last three digits, or “102”, in the DMZ field. You may also try using the port forwarding option instead of using DMZ.

DMZ Host (this would be your JK2 Server)

The DMZ Host setting allows one local user to be exposed to the Internet to use a special-purpose service such as Internet gaming or Video-conferencing. To expose one computer, enter the computer’s IP address and click the Apply button. Inactivate DMZ by entering a zero (0).

Forwarding

Port forwarding sets up public services on your network. When users from the Internet make certain requests of your network, the router will forward those requests to the appropriate computer. The router's DHCP function must be disabled to use Forwarding. Forwarding is generally used to set up a webserver, ftp server, or e-mail server on your network.

~To add a server using Forwarding:

Enter the port number used by the server. On the same line, enter the IP Address of the server that you want the Internet users to be able to access.

Configure as many entries as you would like until all of the link entries are filled.

Click the Apply to save the settings

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem that has been mentioned here. I have set my server up in the DMZ of my linksys router. I see it listed on the internet servers screen on another computer in my LAN. People from the internet connect, but get disconnected after about 60 seconds or so. If I connect to my server from my other computer, the ping rates of other people fluctuate rapidly (from -1 to 300+) then they disappear.

I have built the server on both Windows 2000 Server and XP Professional and both perform the same. The computer is a 1.5GHz w/256 MB RAM. The performance monitor only sees 0.05% network utilization and only 10-20% processor utilization.

Is the cable connection not fast enough for dedicating?

Do I need to forward the requests AS WELL as put the computer in the linksys DMZ?

Is the linksys router causing the delay?

Any help would be appreciated in this matter. Thanks.

Humble

Internet people get kicked every 60 secs or so on a Linksys router if you are using DHCP to assign ip's, turn that off and try it - if you still have problems, get the latest firmware, other than that I don't know :(

That sounds like a sound idea. I will statically assign the address then. I also moved from putting the server in the DMZ to just forwarding the requests and that already works better.

I'm also trying that Jedi Runner application to perform the run, but I think that may cause more problems than needed. It does however, set up some options that are beneficial to use. On the other hand, I think it sets some things up that don't need to be bothered with.

Just my two cents. Thanks for your help...I'll try the static address.

Humble

Hi peeps

I have been trying a week to set up a dedicated server and used one of the simpler .cfg's at the beginning of this thread. I first tried it with the jkmp.exe and set dedicated and exec server.cfg.

I could scroll back and see it had exec'd server.cfg but then it seems to restart again using the jkmpserver.cfg? and if i use the jkDed.exe with the same command lines it just sits there after the exec command and doesnt do anything. Also trying both ways I get a lot of 'hitch warnings ??????ms' what are they? I couldnt see them mentioned anywhere here, but going to read through this thread again now

thanks for any help in advance

Archived